First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Your lawyer fees will likely be more than the cost of a new engine.
This is why we need the "looser pays" in our legal system. Lawyers fight it like hell. If Ford refused your warranty an lost in court they'd be on the hook for the repair and your legal fees. This would cut out a ton of BS court cases. If you have staff lawyers an pay them anyway it's a no lose to just say "sue me"
Sponsored

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
Sounds like a pain but has become second nature...Why not just add/drop gears (+/-) to maintain your desired RPM range. I do this more times than not while driving. Speed limit says 55, I drop top 2 gears to stay in sweet spot around 2000-2300 RPM. Speed limit says 45, I drop top 3 or 4 gears. Speed limit says 35, I am only using gears 1-5. FP tune installed.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
but don’t appreciate the shift programming. The vibration at low RPM is annoying. I already run 93 octane all the time, and it is definitely a better drive than with 87.
The Ford Performance Tune will not resolve any of the issues that you are describing. If you are running 93 octane you are almost at the same performance increase as the tuned truck.

OP
OP

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
The Ford Performance Tune will not resolve any of the issues that you are describing. If you are running 93 octane you are almost at the same performance increase as the tuned truck.
Thank you. I guess I'll keep using Sport Mode when it becomes too annoying.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
The FP tune solves about 85 to 90% of the shifting issues with the truck. It raises all the normal shift points about 200 rpm and it is much more willing to down shift when cruising. The only time that it is not keeping the rpm at 1500 or higher is when you slow down into the 30 to 35 mph range and continue to cruise at that speed, it will allow the rpm to drop to around 1300rpm and requires locking out gears or a prod of the gas for a down shift.

The tune gives you about a 15HP boost over just running 93 octane but double that in torque which is in the low mid range where it really helps on the street.

Some of the aftermarket tunes will do better but you don't get the warranty.

With the way gas prices have been going I have been thinking about putting the stock tune on and run regular but I don't want to give up the very positive improvements in the way the tranny shifts.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
It raises all the normal shift points about 200 rpm and it is much more willing to down shift when cruising. The only time that it is not keeping the rpm at 1500 or higher is when you slow down into the 30 to 35 mph range and continue to cruise at that speed, it will allow the rpm to drop to around 1300rpm and requires locking out gears or a prod of the gas for a down shift.
When using Sport mode. When in drive, it shifts similar to stock.

Reactions: Doc

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
When using Sport mode. When in drive, it shifts similar to stock.
The changes I have described are in Drive. Sport mode is two aggressive for daily driving IMHO. Tow mode is better than drive in all but the fact that it holds gears after letting off the throttle (presumably for engine braking) to be ideal for daily driving.

Drive after the FP tune is certainly not perfect but is much better than stock and no longer needs you to lock out gears to keep the engine in an acceptable rpm range.

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
Just do it! Ford dealers will tell you, that in order to maintain the vehicle's warranty, a dealer must install it. They may tell you this, but in court, they can't prove zilch. After all, the little box is doing all of the work, not the dealer's personnel.

Side light: My Ranger is very close to 9K miles, and the tune has been done since about 1,500 miles (less than 2 weeks after it became available). One thing is for certain; The shifting is way different, so don't expect Lincoln Town Car smoothness. And don't be surprised if cold starts are a bit more erratic. No, you don't need colder range plugs, unless you abuse the poor beast. Use the K&N, even if you think they're trash—they're not! While you're at it, spend the bucks and install the Borla exhaust system Ford sells. Want a bit more, do a CAI. Want a lot more yet? Then install after-market turbo pipes, and a bigger intercooler. You can also replace the down pipe, but make sure you choose the one with a CAT included (you don't want the ECU problems that would cause!). Stay away from the larger turbo, if you use the Ford tune. Do all of this, and you'll be very happy except for one small item! You'll need to replace the tires, about every 9K miles! I've already ordered replacements.

Oh! One more thing. Get on eBay.com, and order a replacement badge for the tail gate. It is the one which says "Eco-Beast"!
I enjoyed reading your reply! @Doc convinced me to install a tune as well, but I'm going to use an SCT Tuner, over the FP or Roush. Although, I'm planning on using the Roush CAI with it. I already have an AFE Power Muffler Delete, which really wakes up the Ranger, but I too, want to do more to it soon ie., intercooler, catted downpipe, BOV (purely for sound), charge pipes.

I'm definitely going to buy an Eco-Beast emblem! ? I didn't even know those existed, LOL! Been wanting an emblem for the tailgate, that was different than other Rangers, but not too strange like, SVT, Raptor, or Roush, so Eco-Beast has definitely sold me!
Sponsored