Question to Bilstein 5100 owners

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Since you had already done the rear, did you notice an additional improvement after doing the front at 1.8? Ride, sway, etc.

The thing that really kills me is every once in a while at slow speeds, I hit the right bump/incline and go back and forth a full 3 times (left, right, left, right, left, right). Feels like Iā€™m riding at a rodeo. Iā€™m hoping the front upgrade will eliminate this.
On mine, doing just the rear eliminated a lot of the bucking,

The factory rear FX4 shocks are incredibly soft with seemingly no rebound damping.

The Bilsteins improved this greatly.

After getting my fronts done as well, I initially thought that it was a nice improvement but just not as dramatic as the rear was.

After driving on a few washboard roads, I rescind that impression and can state that the front was just as much an improvement.

With Bilsteins all around, I haven't noticed any of the bucking at all, just keep in mind they've only been on the front for a week so my experience is still limited.
Sponsored

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
On mine, doing just the rear eliminated a lot of the bucking,

The factory rear FX4 shocks are incredibly soft with seemingly no rebound damping.

The Bilsteins improved this greatly.

After getting my fronts done as well, I initially thought that it was a nice improvement but just not as dramatic as the rear was.

After driving on a few washboard roads, I rescind that impression and can state that the front was just as much an improvement.

With Bilsteins all around, I haven't noticed any of the bucking at all, just keep in mind they've only been on the front for a week so my experience is still limited.
Please keep me posted! My struts and replacement axle nuts arrived Tuesday, but it may be a while before I get the time to swap them out.

2020XLT

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2015 Ford Edge, 1966 Mustang GT
Occupation
GE Healthcare FSE, Retired
My wife and I took a day trip to the NC mtns for lunch today, driving our 2020 XLT 4x4 crewcab. Main purpose was to get a feel for the new front Bilstein 5100 that were installed yesterday. What an improvement over the originals. No more front end dive at braking and it felt firmer on the bumps in the road. Left to right rocking motion was much better. Rears were installed a month ago. She is happy and so am I.

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
Installed mine today, went with the 1.2 in front did them first turned the truck around to do the rears and thought nice stance. Did the rears then looked again and well the rake is back. I wanted some rake, but was hoping for about an inch and 1/4 got about 2 and a half. Not going to go through the hassle to change the setting. Hopefully it will settle some in the rear. But will say the ride is much improved!

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed mine today, went with the 1.2 in front did them first turned the truck around to do the rears and thought nice stance. Did the rears then looked again and well the rake is back. I wanted some rake, but was hoping for about an inch and 1/4 got about 2 and a half. Not going to go through the hassle to change the setting. Hopefully it will settle some in the rear. But will say the ride is much improved!
hmmm something sounds off there.

I did fronts at 1.8 and the rears. I have about .5 inch of rake now.

is yours RWD or 4x4?

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmmm something sounds off there.

I did fronts at 1.8 and the rears. I have about .5 inch of rake now.

is yours RWD or 4x4?
also where are you measuring for the rake?

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
Mine is a 4x4 and i didn't measure but I can in the morning, you can tell by looking at it the rear is up.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is a 4x4 and i didn't measure but I can in the morning, you can tell by looking at it the rear is up.
You can measure from ground to top of wheel well to see the difference and get an exact measurement.

My fronts are between 1/8 to 1/4 inch difference in height in each side, but itā€™s only noticeable when measuring.

Send a pic - there are several people with pictures on the site of theirs at 1.2 for comparison.

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
Measures 36.75-37 in the front and 38.5-38.75 in the rear after a 100mile trip. That measuring from the ground to the fender lip through the center of the wheel.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Measures 36.75-37 in the front and 38.5-38.75 in the rear after a 100mile trip. That measuring from the ground to the fender lip through the center of the wheel.
It does seem off. I would expect about 1 to 1.2 inches rake.

Are you sure you set the ring to 1.2? Any pictures by chance?

Did you add anything else to the rear for height?

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
My setup is the same as BettaRanga, 1.8'' 36.75 in front and a very slight rake remaining,
rears are 37.25 left side 37.75 right (i put some ballast weight to close the lean gap) so I'm now only left with a 1/2'' higher on right side.

5.0 Junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT FX4
I just put mine on the front. I have Fox rears on. 22 SCrew FX4 tow pkg. On 1.8 mine was almost level on one side and within 1/2" on the other. Took them back out and went to 1.2 and now have an even 1 1/4" rake. With a quick camber gauge I got it close and it may have enough adjustment to do an alignment. On 1.8 I couldn't get the camber close. I ran into this on my Grand Cherokee. Bought 5100 and on 0" lift it raised the front 2". Went round and round with them with measurements, comparison pics, etc. Had to return them. I think their lift numbers are very generous.

5.0 Junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT FX4
The factory shocks have low gas pressure. The 5100 are a high pressure monotube and add around 50 lbs of spring rate per side. You can tell when you try to push the rod into them. They are stiff. In effect, you took 100lbs off the back end with the shocks and it raised up. That is how manufacturers add ride height on Z71 trucks for example. Throw on monotubes and it is like taking 200lbs off the truck and it raises up some.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Iā€˜m set at 1.2ā€œ and it appears youā€˜re about .5 to .75 higher in the rear than I am. Iā€™m right at 38ā€ in the rear, or just under. Iā€™m about the same as you in the front. (Disclaimer: Iā€™m parked on gravel at the moment and canā€™t get an exact measurement.).
Sponsored