Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
CTO @ NASA
Have you seen in the back of the new Ford Expedition STX? No rear seat. Cargo area is enormous with the seats folded down. If they were the same price as lower model F150’s I would consider one.

But having a bed is pretty handy too.
No I had not, but the expedition in general is YUGE. I tried to get my wife to drive one when we bought her atlas and it was too big plus wouldn’t fit in the garage lol. As it is we have to open the garage to walk around the atlas.
Sponsored

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Have you seen in the back of the new Ford Expedition STX? No rear seat. Cargo area is enormous with the seats folded down. If they were the same price as lower model F150’s I would consider one.

But having a bed is pretty handy too.
We had an 04 Yukon XL SLT before the Ranger. We bought it new for IIRC $38k OTD. We wanted another one but I wasn't going to spend $80k. I seldom regretted not having a pickup bed. The Yukon XL could haul a lot more than the Ranger. It was basically an 8' pickup bed with the seats down. It was a beast for long distance highway miles. The kids grew up and moved out so a pickup suit us fine. I would have preferred a F150 CC but the damn things are longer than they used to be. It would fit in the garage but not by much.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
So I've been having a serious discussion with my wife about selling my Ranger... Not because I don't love it, but because I work from home now, and it only gets driven once or twice a week. Whenever we go somewhere as a family we take her full size SUV. I also stand to make 6-10k off selling the truck, and would just use that to buy something cheap for driving to church on Wednesday's and Sundays. I'm also struggling with the idea of making monthly payments on a vehicle that sits 75-80% of the time.... It's not a financial problem, it's just a penny pincher problem lol..... Thoughts?

BTW > My wife is against the idea lol.... she thinks I just want something different (while this is true, I could just pay cash for something different if I really wanted to) and wants the truck for "when we need a truck" which has been twice in the year we've had the ranger.
I have to agree with your wife, a truck is always handy. I have a 2019 fx4 and i don't even have 15K on it yet, payment is manageable and i it will take me into my future as a garaged mostly and low mileage truck with a known maintenance record. the only thing we have kicked around is selling her Fusion and saving for her Bronco when the time comes but nothing serious.

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
We had an 04 Yukon XL SLT before the Ranger. We bought it new for IIRC $38k OTD. We wanted another one but I wasn't going to spend $80k. I seldom regretted not having a pickup bed. The Yukon XL could haul a lot more than the Ranger. It was basically an 8' pickup bed with the seats down. It was a beast for long distance highway miles. The kids grew up and moved out so a pickup suit us fine. I would have preferred a F150 CC but the damn things are longer than they used to be. It would fit in the garage but not by much.
Yeah I agree. Before I got my F150 ( F150 crew cab 4x4 stx otd for 37k), I really really wanted a body on frame SUV - and I didn’t care if it came from General Motors or Ford, but I couldn’t justify the huge price. My sister bought one a few years ago and I couldn’t believe the ride, and space. You can still tow a decent amount too. No need for an expensive topper either if you want one. Can camp back there etc.

I’m a country bumpkin, and never knew I was going to move to Texas (and drive daily on city streets), in NY on the country and back roads it’s awesome. But yes, it sucks balls trying to drive this damn thing in tight spaces.

edit to add. If I could get a Yukon for 38k out the door I would leave right now and do it ?

OP
OP
l0rdv8r

l0rdv8r

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CTO @ NASA
Yeah I agree. Before I got my F150 ( F150 crew cab 4x4 stx otd for 37k), I really really wanted a body on frame SUV - and I didn’t care if it came from General Motors or Ford, but I couldn’t justify the huge price. My sister bought one a few years ago and I couldn’t believe the ride, and space. You can still tow a decent amount too. No need for an expensive topper either if you want one. Can camp back there etc.

I’m a country bumpkin, and never knew I was going to move to Texas (and drive daily on city streets), in NY on the country and back roads it’s awesome. But yes, it sucks balls trying to drive this damn thing in tight spaces.

edit to add. If I could get a Yukon for 38k out the door I would leave right now and do it ?
hahaha on your edit - I would too lol. Thus the reason for getting something I can pay cash for. 99% of the cars at dealers right now are so overpriced its not even funny, which is the ONLY reason I haven't already jumped on one of the offers I've had from local dealers wanting my truck.

OP
OP
l0rdv8r

l0rdv8r

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CTO @ NASA
Ultimately, I want to pay cash for something small, and pay her Atlas off. Once it's paid off I really want to get one of the new Mach E's. I had been looking at Tesla's but Ford has a bigger/better charge network. I really only want one car payment, so we can focus on paying it off, and then focus on our only other debt, which is our house.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So I've been having a serious discussion with my wife about selling my Ranger... Not because I don't love it, but because I work from home now, and it only gets driven once or twice a week. Whenever we go somewhere as a family we take her full size SUV. I also stand to make 6-10k off selling the truck, and would just use that to buy something cheap for driving to church on Wednesday's and Sundays. I'm also struggling with the idea of making monthly payments on a vehicle that sits 75-80% of the time.... It's not a financial problem, it's just a penny pincher problem lol..... Thoughts?

BTW > My wife is against the idea lol.... she thinks I just want something different (while this is true, I could just pay cash for something different if I really wanted to) and wants the truck for "when we need a truck" which has been twice in the year we've had the ranger.
But clearly both God and your wife think you should keep the truck so therefore you should listen to your wife and keep the truck. There's no more questions to ask on me LOL!!!!

OP
OP
l0rdv8r

l0rdv8r

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CTO @ NASA
But clearly both God and your wife think you should keep the truck so therefore you should listen to your wife and keep the truck. There's no more questions to ask on me LOL!!!!
haha - you right!

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
One way I would look at it...
If the truck is not getting used much, it's not getting wear and tear much. If you take care of it, it's going to last forever!

I don't use mine much but I really enjoy jumping in it to run the occasional errand or take on an off-roading excursion.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I was in the same positions 20 yrs ago.
WFH or I walked to the train station, the Ranger was used on the weekend.
Like you, spending $$$ to sit in the driveway, hmmmm ????
So I sold it, since we had a Sundance(just horrible).
About 3 weeks later, we hit a deer, totaled the car(WOOHOO!!!!!!).
Had to buy a new car. I liked the ranger, it always upset me that I sold it.
In life, keep the things you like & get rid of everything else.
This rule, is more important with the people you hang out with.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired

?
Do it.
Work on becoming debt free.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant