Question for a Tech/Mechanic regarding the Brakes.

RobmJ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Hello there,

I am not here to complain about the amount of travel in the brakes but I do find it not as safe as the traditional feeling brakes. The "mushy" style brakes could be dangerous if needing to stop quickly on highway(where I spend a lot of time)..

So my question is this -- First, is it possible to have the adjusted in such a way it feels more touchy/traditonal? If so, what would I need to do to accomplish this modification? New calipers, pads, fluid swap?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The brakes are not adjustable. I bled my brakes and that seemed to help the most. I believe thats the problem in most of the new rangers out there because of the path of the brake fluid. There is a high spot in the master cylinder (due to angle), and in the lines by the abs pump. High spots allow for air pockets.

Also, How many miles are on it? My rotors seemed to have some coating/film on them and after about 700 Miles it felt like it braked better or I got used to it. I'm sure bedding them in may speed that up.

OP
OP
RobmJ

RobmJ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
The brakes are not adjustable. I bled my brakes and that seemed to help the most. I believe thats the problem in most of the new rangers out there because of the path of the brake fluid. There is a high spot in the master cylinder (due to angle), and in the lines by the abs pump. High spots allow for air pockets.

Also, How many miles are on it? My rotors seemed to have some coating/film on them and after about 700 Miles it felt like it braked better or I got used to it. I'm sure bedding them in may speed that up.
9k on mine. I think I did notice a slight improvement from when It was brand new, but still has a lot of travel.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
9k on mine. I think I did notice a slight improvement from when It was brand new, but still has a lot of travel.
I would give it a good bleed. I pulled about a cup through each bleeder on mine, with a vacuum bleeder. The key is to pull enough fluid to pull the bubble all the way to the bleeder nipple and out, and pull it fast enough to keep the bubble moving so it doesn't float back.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I've gotten used to it. Not the only Ford I have with brakes like that. My daughter drove my 2010 Fusion for a while and I got it back when she purchased a new car. I started driving it again, coming from my Ford Edge. I asked her if the brakes always felt that low and she said yeah, since she started driving it. Well not one to take her word for it, I took it to my regular mechanic who said the brakes were fine. I said they go to the floor when I slam them on. He said well you stop don't you? I went to another mechanic that is well known in the area for good brake work and they said they are all like that. They could change the power booster, master cylinder, wheel cylinders and it probably wouldn't be much better. They bled them and it felt somewhat better but I could still slam it to the floor. I guess after a year of not driving it I forgot how the brakes felt. Yeah the Ranger is similar in feel but it has yet to not stop quickly when needed and I've adjusted my braking to the feel. The Edge is much better as far as brake feel and when I switch vehicles, I always brake too hard the first time or 2 if I'm not thinking about it. It always prompts a 'What the hell you doing!?' from my wife.:LOL: Another daughter is now driving the Fusion and if anyone could test out the braking, it is her. So far so good. :facepalm:

FordFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4 Ranger, 2022 Sonata Limited
Occupation
Engineer
I've gotten used to it. Not the only Ford I have with brakes like that. My daughter drove my 2010 Fusion for a while and I got it back when she purchased a new car. I started driving it again, coming from my Ford Edge. I asked her if the brakes always felt that low and she said yeah, since she started driving it. Well not one to take her word for it, I took it to my regular mechanic who said the brakes were fine. I said they go to the floor when I slam them on. He said well you stop don't you? I went to another mechanic that is well known in the area for good brake work and they said they are all like that. They could change the power booster, master cylinder, wheel cylinders and it probably wouldn't be much better. They bled them and it felt somewhat better but I could still slam it to the floor. I guess after a year of not driving it I forgot how the brakes felt. Yeah the Ranger is similar in feel but it has yet to not stop quickly when needed and I've adjusted my braking to the feel. The Edge is much better as far as brake feel and when I switch vehicles, I always brake too hard the first time or 2 if I'm not thinking about it. It always prompts a 'What the hell you doing!?' from my wife.:LOL: Another daughter is now driving the Fusion and if anyone could test out the braking, it is her. So far so good. :facepalm:
Yes. My 2018 F-150 was like that too. Brakes were fine.
Sponsored