First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019.5 Ford Ranger XLT CPR
Occupation
Retired LEO/Retired Military/Doctoral Student
This is a public service message for a review of a 2019-2021 Ford Ranger truck bed-tent, used for truck camping. Please do not beat me up or want to take me to the wood shed (I seem to notice we are beginning to be “cranky” in our old ages). Be nice, my intentions here are honorable.

With the purchase of my 2019 Ranger, we decided to do more “car-camping” and get our butts off the ground, which limited problems with bears, cold, hard ground and provided a “kennel” for my new GSD at night. Trust me I like sleeping outdoors (I did the A.T. after retiring from the military), but why suffer if you don’t have to?

I also wanted to get my wife out more. Her mantra was, “If roughing it means a resort with windows facing the woods; then I’m all for it!”

After an exhaustive search for overland packages (way too much money), we decided on a bed tent and I decided on Rightline Gear, designed in Ashville, NC, but made in China (of course!) (www.rightlinegear.com) The model I purchased was 110766 Mid Size Short Bed (5’) – Tall Bed. There is a version which is not a “tall bed” (110765), not sure what the difference is. I talked with an operator and she PROMISED this one would fit my XLT SuperCrew.

In my last year in the Army and getting ready for my A.T. hike, I worked at a New England-based outdoor outfitter. That job taught me to read between the lines of marketing write-ups, and because we were professionals in the field, got to purchase gear at “PRO” prices, usually 40-60% below MSRP.

I mention this to segway into a PRO TIP: If you are military, or a Veteran, look up www.expertcity.com and www.govX.com to get PRO prices for your service. Both can look you up on a military databases and determine your eligibility. They have everything from hunting, shooting, fishing and archery; to hiking, backpacking, rock/ice climbing, etc. I HATE to pay full-price in the 10 years I learned about this deal. Sorry, civilians, but “Thank You for my service!”

Okay enough white noise:

CONS:

The tent doesn’t cover the bottom of the truck bed. Not sure if this would be a problem during a major rain storm, but I just feel it would be warmer if I didn’t touch bare metal.

Storm covers (aka zipper garages) get in the way with one-hand pulls. Common problem with all tents, sleeping bags and outerwear that have a storm cover over the zipper. Use 2 hands.

Orange straps that drop down between tailgate and bed have no place to attach. The width of the clip catches on everything lowering and retrieving. (I placed a carabiner through a piece of undercarriage which serves well as an anchor point.)

Windows could be larger. Windows are well placed but could be larger and add more to the “sleeping under the stars” feeling. Also, many “blind-spots” for “things” to approach the truck at night.

PROS:

Appears to be made of strong materials (water-resistant polyester with 2000 mm PU) and fits the short 5’ bed like a glove. More I use it better it fits. I used a power washer (probably not recommended…) to remove pine sap, and did not have a single leak.

Well-designed with straps at strategic points, and a crossed-bar roof
design, which is common in winter tents that support heavy snow and high winds.

Has handy features like net gear holders on each side, and hook in center of roof to hang a headlamp or lantern (we use solar powered ones).

If I add a molle storage system to the insides of the bed, it will allow me to access that equipment when the tent is erected.

Rain fly seems to made of heavier material, and does a good job of keeping heat in. Can be configured to vent without removing rainfly. I attached it, secured parachute cord to 2 of the 4 strap’s buckles, and then pulled it back toward cab. When I heard rain in the middle of the night, I pulled on the strings and secured the fly, without leaving the tailgate.

Recommendations:

The directions are very good, and written by a westerner which English is their first language. (If you buy ANYTHING from Amazon that is made in China, you know what I mean). Even with pictures, for those of us that are visual learners.

I sprayed Gear Aid’s Revivex (the modern Scotchgard) (www.gear-aid.com) and Sawyer’s permethrin (www.sawyer.com) all over tent; and especially near openings and screened windows, to help shed rain and kill/repel insects. (Nothing sucks more than that one mosquito that gets in your tent, and keeps you awake buzzing in your ear).

In bear country, keep food and sweet smells in cab. My dog is in the back seat, but I would not let him out near a bear. I carry a (boat) air horn and when he gets far enough away from my campsite I use bear spray (don’t discharge in/near a tent….you will not sleep that night in the tent, nor for the next few months, till the capsicum deteriorates). My last resort is a firearm and the knowledge I can outrun my wife!

Like all tentage, care needs to be exercised when storing. There is a reason, “stuff” sacks are called stuff sacks. Don’t fold tents, air mattresses, sleeping bags, etc., the same way every time. The material has a memory, and that crease will breakdown and cause leaks/tears/weak material. Just stuff it!

After use, set up tent, and allow to dry. Stains, use mild detergent and water and spray off. Stubborn stains may need multiple efforts. Before use, check for mold (eyes & nose). A spray bottle of lemon juice and water 1:1 will help. Let dry. Make sure twigs, pebble’s, pine needles, and gear is removed before stuffing. I even use a Dyson handheld for those small wanna-cause-a-hole-debris.

Don’t drive vehicle with tent erected. This may be common-sense, but I thought I should mention it, like: don’t iron clothes while wearing them, or running with an open scissors. Unless there is a bear involved, and then drive straight to a resort where the windows face the woods!

Hope this helps. If you have a different bed tent, I would love to hear about it. I am a true gear-head and have 2-5 versions of everything backpacking/climbing/hiking and now car camping; and never lend/barter/sell, unless I want to upgrade and Mama says “No!”

Regarding overland versions, if you find one that is less than $1-2K let me know. Remember, you also have to buy bed rails which are also pricey. Maybe during the next pandemic when Uncle Joe gives out (bigger?) incentive checks! Hahaha…..
IMG_3390.JPG
64272760666__06ED17E4-D2A2-43D8-B067-807980F367BC.JPG
IMG_3386.JPG
64209031844__AEF69507-2885-4AC4-ABED-78F533AC036F.JPG
IMG_3361.JPG
64209023849__23CA0FEA-77AC-46D2-9FCB-CF3BECADE29F.JPG
IMG_3357.JPG
IMG_3355.JPG
IMG_3350.JPG
IMG_3348.JPG
IMG_3349.JPG
IMG_3347.JPG
IMG_3346.JPG
IMG_3345.JPG
IMG_3344.JPG
IMG_3343.JPG
IMG_3340.JPG
IMG_3338.JPG
IMG_3336.JPG
IMG_3335.JPG
IMG_3333.JPG
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Nice. And, nice doggy.

I agree with you on having a tent floor. Bit of anecdotal info. Many many years ago when I was just starting to truck camp, I bought an inexpensive pup tent that fit in the bed of my truck. It wasn't built for the bed, but it fit.

Well, one night a storm of biblical proportions blew it and blew so hard it snapped all the fiberglass tent poles. It was a mess, and I spent a very uncomfortable night in the cab.

Later, I got a tent made for the truck. Hopefully you don't have the same situation but your tent looks pretty strong. I'd probably still want a fully enclosed floor if I had that option.

OP
OP
SheepDogRain-Jar

SheepDogRain-Jar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Funny! I actually tried one of my many backpacking tents. They fit, but the problem is the doors are on the sides where the bed walls are. I thought (for a second!) to buy a tent with a door at the end, but it means I would have to crawl over my tent partner to get out/in, when used in an outdoor venue. I need my own tent opening!!

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
The tent flooring would be nice for peace of mind during a rainstorm. Although, instead of sleeping on bare metal, what I used to do when I had one of these tents on my Colorado was buy those interlocking children play mats. Fits perfectly as it's adjustable via interlocking and adds a good bit of comfort with a thick blanket on top and/or sleeping bags as well. Also, those individual sleeping bag mats run like 50$+. Whereas, I can cover the whole truck floor with this and its a fraction of the cost. Bonus comfort: Bedrug + play mat + thick blanket. Children play mat - amazon

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
That's to cool for school Bill. But I'm like your wife, if the Lord wanted me to sleep on the ground he wouldn't have invented the Holiday Inn. :) Enjoy

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
For the love of God DO NOT keep food inside of any vehicle. Especially with your poor pooch inside. Especially a Ranger, the door handles are of the type easily manipulated by bears.

All food should be hung from a tree branch in bear bag downwind and far from camp. Like 200 ft if you can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SheepDogRain-Jar

SheepDogRain-Jar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nice tent, but here's my real takeaway from this review. :thumbsup:

1623768571922.png
TBR, I actually took that pic for AZScorpian so he would give me a thumbs up for having a tamper. Funny how it became a CON. You all are still being nice, keep it up; my feelings are easily offended! Bahaha….

OP
OP
SheepDogRain-Jar

SheepDogRain-Jar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For the love of God DO NOT keep food inside of any vehicle. Especially with your poor pooch inside. Especially a Ranger, the door handles are of the type easily manipulated by bears.

All food should be hung from a tree branch in bear bag downwind and far from camp. Like 200 ft if you can.
D Fresh; good morning. I purposely left out of the review that I ALWAYS put my food and sweet smells in Bear canisters (in the front cab!) I like using them better when car camping than backpacking, they just take up soooo much room in the pack. If we had persistent Bears here in CT, I would hang my food, but most are pests looking for a quick snack. I think they would run from Tux’ barking, before my air horn (and other campers would appreciate it better). Thx for the tip, you must camp where the persistents live….?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
D Fresh; good morning. I purposely left out of the review that I ALWAYS put my food and sweet smells in Bear canisters (in the front cab!) I like using them better when car camping than backpacking, they just take up soooo much room in the pack. If we had persistent Bears here in CT, I would hang my food, but most are pests looking for a quick snack. I think they would run from Tux’ barking, before my air horn (and other campers would appreciate it better). Thx for the tip, you must camp where the persistents live….?
Just wouldn't want to see you, your dog, or your truck harmed. I've seen bears total a vehicle in minutes to get to one M.I.A. French fry under the seat.

Most of my camping is within 100 miles of the continental divide.

OP
OP
SheepDogRain-Jar

SheepDogRain-Jar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just wouldn't want to see you, your dog, or your truck harmed. I've seen bears total a vehicle in minutes to get to one M.I.A. French fry under the seat.

Most of my camping is within 100 miles of the continental divide.
Yes you have the BIG bears! We have the blacks that occasionally eat from a bird feeder or trash can. I am more worried about porcupines eating my tires; there are parts of the country where they place logs against the tires to keep small mammals from gnawing on rubber tires for some odd reason. I am all for wildlife, but if they gnawed on my KO2's at $250. each we would have a problem......and not just me asking SimpleTire if they ship to a GPS location!!

OP
OP
SheepDogRain-Jar

SheepDogRain-Jar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I need more detail and more pics.
Thank you for your insightful and disingenuous reply. Although you are far from my Am Legion or VFW meetings, where I often wear body armor to. (...and they wonder why they can't recruit younger members!) Do all old guys get cranky in their old age?? That sucks, it's bad enough that getting out of bed hurts and I have to have a mandatory nap at 3 pm!!

OP
OP
SheepDogRain-Jar

SheepDogRain-Jar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EDIT: I do have to apologize, I did not search for "tents" "bed tents", "overland packages" and once I posted this, those subjects have popped up on my end.

I did see a Napier version of a tent that does have flooring. It was about $40-$50 more and I could not get the deep discount that GovX offered. Plus this tent matched my CPR truck color, and that is most important: to look good! My looks can only go so far.....
Sponsored