Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
The Ford Authority Take
The not-insignificant 13 percent slide in Ford Ranger sales in the third quarter of 2022 is entirely attributed to decreased production of the midsize pickup, resulting in a notable lack of units at the dealer level as a result of The Blue Oval continuing to prioritize production of the Ford Bronco over that of the Ranger, as both models are produced at the Ford Michigan Assembly plant.

Therefore, a few scenarios must occur before we expect Ford Ranger production – and subsequent sales – to begin trending upward once more. First, supply constraints must ease, allowing The Blue Oval to secure invaluable parts such as, but not limited to, microchips that can then be allocated toward Ranger production. Additionally, as pent-up demand for the Bronco is answered, the automaker will be able to once again more evenly balance production of the off-road SUV alongside that of the Ranger, increasing supply of the latter.

https://fordauthority.com/2022/12/f...rs-figures-results-third-quarter-2022-q3/amp/
Sponsored

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 ChargerDaytona
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
The Ford Authority Take
The not-insignificant 13 percent slide in Ford Ranger sales in the third quarter of 2022 is entirely attributed to decreased production of the midsize pickup, resulting in a notable lack of units at the dealer level as a result of The Blue Oval continuing to prioritize production of the Ford Bronco over that of the Ranger, as both models are produced at the Ford Michigan Assembly plant.

Therefore, a few scenarios must occur before we expect Ford Ranger production – and subsequent sales – to begin trending upward once more. First, supply constraints must ease, allowing The Blue Oval to secure invaluable parts such as, but not limited to, microchips that can then be allocated toward Ranger production. Additionally, as pent-up demand for the Bronco is answered, the automaker will be able to once again more evenly balance production of the off-road SUV alongside that of the Ranger, increasing supply of the latter.

https://fordauthority.com/2022/12/f...rs-figures-results-third-quarter-2022-q3/amp/
I agree with all of that. I would add that the stats are for sales numbers and does not show production numbers which is usually higher. Many units can be sitting on parking lots, built status but waiting for missing parts. I was an original Bronco order holder (as well as got a Tremor in late 2021) and finally received it after a 2 year wait. I am all over the Bronco forums. The Bronco backlog is better but not by a lot. They still are not allowing 2023 model orders because they still have a huge backlog. Last I heard, factory goals for production are 70% Bronco, 30% Ranger and the plant has never been able to reach peak production numbers for the Bronco. Until they can get that backlog of Bronco order fulfilled and basically, back to normal production....my guess the Bronco will remain a priority over the Ranger. Then you need to add in; lack of available parts and personnel hiring issues.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I agree with all of that. I would add that the stats are for sales numbers and does not show production numbers which is usually higher. Many units can be sitting on parking lots, built status but waiting for missing parts. I was an original Bronco order holder (as well as got a Tremor in late 2021) and finally received it after a 2 year wait. I am all over the Bronco forums. The Bronco backlog is better but not by a lot. They still are not allowing 2023 model orders because they still have a huge backlog. Last I heard, factory goals for production are 70% Bronco, 30% Ranger and the plant has never been able to reach peak production numbers for the Bronco. Until they can get that backlog of Bronco order fulfilled and basically, back to normal production....my guess the Bronco will remain a priority over the Ranger. Then you need to add in; lack of available parts and personnel hiring issues.
The chips are also a major problem still for the F150. When I was talking to the owner of the dealer yesterday he was telling me about a customer who ordered a loaded Platinum back in February of '22. It was finally built in August and sat awaiting chips. The customer called and ordered a '23 MY in October and changed a few things around hoping to maybe get it sooner. A week before Christmas the one that's been sitting finally arrived at the dealership almost a year after being ordered. So obviously he took the '22 but it's crazy to have to wait so long for these to still be built.

I really don't see how the next Gen Ranger is going to come out without major delays. At least the drivetrain looks like it'll be the same so that'll help and the touch screen will be the same as the Bronco. Something needs to change and quick as Fords been bleeding money in the BILLIONS lately and this can only last so long. I wouldn't want to be in those board of directors meetings.

OP
OP
Trigganometry

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
The chips are also a major problem still for the F150. When I was talking to the owner of the dealer yesterday he was telling me about a customer who ordered a loaded Platinum back in February of '22. It was finally built in August and sat awaiting chips. The customer called and ordered a '23 MY in October and changed a few things around hoping to maybe get it sooner. A week before Christmas the one that's been sitting finally arrived at the dealership almost a year after being ordered. So obviously he took the '22 but it's crazy to have to wait so long for these to still be built.

I really don't see how the next Gen Ranger is going to come out without major delays. At least the drivetrain looks like it'll be the same so that'll help and the touch screen will be the same as the Bronco. Something needs to change and quick as Fords been bleeding money in the BILLIONS lately and this can only last so long. I wouldn't want to be in those board of directors meetings.
See their stock prices lately? If I had shares from decades ago I would not be happy right now. Their “blue chip” status went the way of the IC’s they’re waiting for

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
See their stock prices lately? If I had shares from decades ago I would not be happy right now. Their “blue chip” status went the way of the IC’s they’re waiting for
Yeah I've been watching it since early last year trying to decide whether to buy or not. They have such a huge investment in the Blue Oval City and that "should" pull them out from drowning. But they're a long way away from finishing it and as you know anything can happen and a few more big recalls and/or lawsuits and it won't be pretty.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I am bewildered by supply issues for NA Rangers and Fords in general. It seems for the SE Asian inventories are strong. Makes one wonder if their is either a separate supply line for IC's for ROW Fords. Or they prioritize ROW sales.

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase

Fully agree. My Bronco took 2 years to the day to receive. Some that reserved day 1 are still waiting. We are living through a very weird time for sure.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I am bewildered by supply issues for NA Rangers and Fords in general. It seems for the SE Asian inventories are strong. Makes one wonder if their is either a separate supply line for IC's for ROW Fords. Or they prioritize ROW sales.
I was thinking that too Richard when you posted all those Rangers available at your local dealer. Every dealership I drive by looks nothing like the one you posted last week so I'd say yes they're prioritizing ROW for some reason.

My other question is are all the other manufacturers having these same problems? I know everyone is dealing with delays and constraints but are they dealing with it on the same magnitude as Ford? I know Jeep (at least a year ago) was pumping them out fairly quickly. Now the ones who ordered the Recon package (similar to the Sasquatch) were have some delays but nothing like Ford.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking that too Richard when you posted all those Rangers available at your local dealer. Every dealership I drive by looks nothing like the one you posted last week so I'd say yes they're prioritizing ROW for some reason.

My other question is are all the other manufacturers having these same problems? I know everyone is dealing with delays and constraints but are they dealing with it on the same magnitude as Ford? I know Jeep (at least a year ago) was pumping them out fairly quickly. Now the ones who ordered the Recon package (similar to the Sasquatch) were have some delays but nothing like Ford.
That dealer that has that inventory is a smaller dealer also. Maybe I will take a drive to the bigger one and take a look. They even had a new black GT Mustang.

OP
OP
Trigganometry

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
Starting to wonder how much of the shortages are profit driven. Let’s build Bronco’s because we make more on them than we do the Rangers../

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Starting to wonder how much of the shortages are profit driven. Let’s build Bronco’s because we make more on them than we do the Rangers../
That's exactly what they're doing. They (Ford) even said they were prioritizing Bronco orders over Ranger orders 70/30 or maybe it was 60/40. Then add it the Bronco Raptor and that's a big money maker for them over the Ranger.

OP
OP
Trigganometry

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
That's exactly what they're doing. They (Ford) even said they were prioritizing Bronco orders over Ranger orders 70/30 or maybe it was 60/40. Then add it the Bronco Raptor and that's a big money maker for them over the Ranger.
Then expect the only Rangers getting built right now to be loaded XLT’s and Lariats

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Then expect the only Rangers getting built right now to be loaded XLT’s and Lariats
Yeah who knows what order they build them in and their reasoning. While I agree it would be that order those are also the ones which are chip heavy. They could probably build more non loaded Rangers and make more money not having the loaded ones sitting around waiting for chip to come in. :crazy: No worries one day when all these chip manufacturing plants are up and running here we'll have so many darn chips we won't know what to do with them. lol

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase

Every lot I drive by, no matter what Brand, has very few new vehicles. Lots of empty space and used vehicles. The larger Jeep Dealer here at our State Capitol, about 18 months ago had about 45 or so. The longer it took the Bronco to get out, I saw their Jeep inventory go down to 0-2 (I almost bought one). They are back up to maybe a dozen....nothing special and not a lot of inventory. I think this is an industry wide thing.
Sponsored