Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
By request, here's a couple more pics...

IMG_7443.JPG

IMG_7442.JPG

Green indicating 4 Rigid Spot beams linked together and switched by Trigger number 1 toggle...Pink are, outboard DD SS3 Combo and inboard Rigid Flood linked together, switched by number 2 toggle...
lights.jpg

Now that everything has been rewired to group the front lights according to beam pattern, I replaced the wheel well panels so (1) you don't see the back side of pods from the wheel well and (2) protect the back side of the pods from soiling...I mounted only two on the bracket because my BD S1 pod are already mounted on my ditch bracket, aimed out and down...the bracket for two and three lights are identical...Even though there's visible gaps around the pods that are no longer filled by the OEM bezel, everything is in the shadow and it looks pretty tough and all business...
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Some close ups...
IMG_7452.JPG

IMG_7451.JPG

IMG_7450.JPG

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I just knew when I clicked the link from 'what did you do to...' thread that I was going to see more lights. :facepalm: You never disappoint Sid.:like:

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just knew when I clicked the link from 'what did you do to...' thread that I was going to see more lights. :facepalm: You never disappoint Sid.:like:
LET'S ADD MORE LIGHTS BRANDON!?

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
But, but, but...you missed a spot. C'mon Sid! :LOL:

IMG_7443.JPG

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
But, but, but...you missed a spot. C'mon Sid! :LOL:

IMG_7443.JPG
I know I know...I didn't like filling that ram hole that's why I have the bars in the slot above in the grill... ?

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
I know I know...I didn't like filling that ram hole that's why I have the bars in the slot above in the grill... ?
Fair enough...but you may not be considered "king of lighting"....yah, never mind. :LOL:

It's funny, that's the only place I'm considering putting lights.

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Look what found while digging in my stuff...1997 Ford Ranger Ultra Utility Flatbed concept sketch...the bed is folded down in this image...the cladding provide tons of hidden storage...good old days!

Ranger Utility Small.jpg

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Look what found while digging in my stuff...1997 Ford Ranger Ultra Utility Flatbed concept sketch...the bed is folded down in this image...the cladding provide tons of hidden storage...good old days!

Ranger Utility Small.jpg
Hi Sid,

Yep....Here is the backstory on why that did not happen when this hit my desk. Body and Assembly in that day was constrained at this time by lack of expansion capability. So any variant from the flairside and styleside boxes was out of the question. Then Marketing said "NAW" as there would be no take rate on such a package. Ford was full of naysayers at that time...

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Sid,

Yep....Here is the backstory on why that did not happen when this hit my desk. Body and Assembly in that day was constrained at this time by lack of expansion capability. So any variant from the flairside and styleside boxes was out of the question. Then Marketing said "NAW" as there would be no take rate on such a package. Ford was full of naysayers at that time...

Best,
Phil
That's interesting Phil...I get asked to a sketch up a lot of ideas that never go anywhere and I figure it just didn't pass mustard...it would've been a good project for Global utility third world use...but that was long before SJW... ?

Did you ever hear of the proposed Aerostar Hummer? We had it up to a full size clay...it was an idea to take the AWD Aerostar and beef up all the components to "kinda" compete with the H2 at the time...it didn't go anywhere of course and I'm sure engineering just laughed at us...here's the sketch...

Rex84small.jpg

Last edited:

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Did you ever hear of the proposed Aerostar Hummer? We had it up to a full size clay...it was an idea to take the AWD Aerostar and beef up all the components to "kinda" compete with the H2 at the time...it didn't go anywhere of course and I'm sure engineering just laughed at us...here's the sketch...

Rex84small.jpg
The first thing that hit my mind when I saw the sketch was Pontiac Aztec. Maybe the color, just missing the slanted back.

Reactions: Doc

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That's interesting Phil...I get asked to a sketch up a lot of ideas that never go anywhere and I figure it just didn't pass mustard...it would've been a good project for Global utility third world use...but that was long before SJW... ?

Rex84small.jpg
HI Sid,

Did not see this one....I was in the midst of trying to get the NVH basket case called the AWD Aerostar fixed. Powertrain bending was terrible on this package....Trying to get it fixed required a bunch of Modal Analyses which showed the Powertrain flexure modes at various frequencies. So I created a brace from the Transfer Case outer case to the engine rear face of block (RFOB). This greatly improved the powertrain bending and this was refined as I was promoted and moved to a Analytical area called Design Analysis. I have a 1990 Motor Trend Truck of the year award for the AWD Aerostar... It sits on top of my shop cabinets collecting dust...

AWDAerostar.jpg

Beefing up the Aerostar! Unlikely would have happened...Auto Trans was the weak link...

Best,
Phil

Last edited:
OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The first thing that hit my mind when I saw the sketch was Pontiac Aztec. Maybe the color, just missing the slanted back.
Similar proportions...probably a good thing it wasn't born lol...

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here's another pickup story...this time at GM working on a similar multi utility pickup...my idea here was a proposal for a crew cab with an articulated rear seat platform that could transform the back seat into a usable bed via track system...

szcr4w_bn_gate small1.jpg

szcr4w_bn_bed.jpg
Sponsored