PRE COLLISION ASSIST

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
Are you certain about that? I don't see a sensor located near the drivers side lower grill but it is fairly well buttoned up. I think 2.7 ecoboost is correct. It is misleading and talks about both the camera and radar, in the manual, but the warning about the snow plow indicates lower grill, not camera.

That said, it also appears that the radar which we do not see seems to work in conjunction with the camera.

Adjusting Pre-Collision Assist Settings You can adjust alert and distance alert sensitivity to one of three possible settings by using the information display control. See General Information (page 88). You can switch the distance alert and indication function off using the information display controls. See General Information (page 88). If required, you can switch active braking off using the information display controls. See General Information (page 88). Note:We recommend that you turn the Pre-Collision Assist system off if you install a snow plow or similar object in such a way that it may block the radar sensor. Your vehicle remembers the last selected setting when you switch it off and then back on.
Blocked Sensors
E271779 If a message regarding a blocked sensor or camera appears in the information display, the radar signals or camera images are obstructed. The radar sensor is located behind a fascia cover near the driver side of the lower grille. With an obstructed radar, the Pre-Collision Assist system does not function and cannot detect a vehicle ahead. With the front camera obstructed,

the Pre-Collision Assist system does not respond to pedestrians or stationary vehicles and the system performance on
moving vehicles reduces
. The following table lists possible causes and actions for when this message displays.
ActionCause Clean the grille surface in front of the radar or remove the object causing the obstruction The surface of the radar in the grille is dirty or obstructed in some way. Wait a short time. It may take several minutes for the radar to detect that there is no obstruction. The surface of the radar in the grille is clean but the message remains in the display. The Pre-Collision Assist system is temporarily disabled. Pre-Collision Assist should automatically reactivate a short time after the weather conditions improve. Heavy rain, spray, snow, or fog is interfering with the radar signals. The Pre-Collision Assist system is temporarily disabled. Pre-Collision Assist should automatically reactivate a short time after the weather conditions improve. Swirling water, or snow or ice on the surface of the road may interfere with the radar signals. Contact an authorized dealer to have the radar checked for proper coverage and operation. Radar is out of alignment due to a front end impact. Clean the outside of the windshield in front of the camera. The windshield in front of the camera is dirty or obstructed in some way. Wait a short time. It may take several minutes for the camera to detect that there is no obstruction. The windshield in front of the camera is clean but the message remains in the display. Note:proper system operation requires a clear view of the road by the camera. Have any windshield damage in the area of the camera's field of view repaired. Note:If something hits the front end of your vehicle or damage occurs, the radar sensing zone may change. This could cause missed or false vehicle detections. Contact an authorized dealer to have the radar checked for proper coverage and operation. Note:If your vehicle detects excessive heat at the camera or a potential misalignment condition, a message may display in the information display indicating temporary sensor unavailability. When operational conditions are correct, the message deactivates. For example, when the ambient temperature around the sensor decreases or the sensor automatically recalibrates successfully.

the Pre-Collision Assist system does not respond to pedestrians or stationary vehicles and the system performance on
moving vehicles reduces. The following table lists possible causes and actions for when this message displays.
ActionCause Clean the grille surface in front of the radar or remove the object causing the obstruction The surface of the radar in the grille is dirty or obstructed in some way. Wait a short time. It may take several minutes for the radar to detect that there is no obstruction. The surface of the radar in the grille is clean but the message remains in the display. The Pre-Collision Assist system is temporarily disabled. Pre-Collision Assist should automatically reactivate a short time after the weather conditions improve. Heavy rain, spray, snow, or fog is interfering with the radar signals. The Pre-Collision Assist system is temporarily disabled. Pre-Collision Assist should automatically reactivate a short time after the weather conditions improve. Swirling water, or snow or ice on the surface of the road may interfere with the radar signals. Contact an authorized dealer to have the radar checked for proper coverage and operation. Radar is out of alignment due to a front end impact. Clean the outside of the windshield in front of the camera. The windshield in front of the camera is dirty or obstructed in some way. Wait a short time. It may take several minutes for the camera to detect that there is no obstruction. The windshield in front of the camera is clean but the message remains in the display. Note:proper system operation requires a clear view of the road by the camera. Have any windshield damage in the area of the camera's field of view repaired. Note:If something hits the front end of your vehicle or damage occurs, the radar sensing zone may change. This could cause missed or false vehicle detections. Contact an authorized dealer to have the radar checked for proper coverage and operation. Note:If your vehicle detects excessive heat at the camera or a potential misalignment condition, a message may display in the information display indicating temporary sensor unavailability. When operational conditions are correct, the message deactivates. For example, when the ambient temperature around the sensor decreases or the sensor autom
Sponsored

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
The manual says the system is active above 3 mph and pedestrian detection is active up to 50 mph. I checked, unchecked and rechecked my settings. Max sensitivity, all options active. I placed 2 over sized 33 gallon trash bags filled with foam padding in my driveway and approached at 10 mph. I hit them without a sound. The parking aid sensor went straight to red after I made contact. The manual also shows a pic of where the camera is located ( windshield behind rear view mirror ) and a pic of the front license plate area but says the radar is located on the driver side lower fascia. Looking at various pics and reviews, it appears trucks with the adaptive cruise have a sensor of sorts mounted in the middle of the lower bumper opening, right below where the licese plate would be.I see nothing, no wires etc except for the front parking aid sensors. I thought maybe the truck just used the parking sensors, but the XL trucks without co-pilot 360 don't have the parking aid sensors. The manual is clear as mud. It says if the camera or radar are blocked/dirty it could affect the detection capability and to clean them. Hard to do when I can't find the radar :headbang:. I don't have a front license plate so that's not my issue. Can someone check and see if/where the radar is and post a pic?
I have yet to do a test such as you did but as in an earlier post I don't believe the system on my truck is working at all. Another Ranger owner I know tells me his definitely activates as it does in my 2017 Explorer. The difference in these vehicles compared to my Ranger XLT is both have adaptive cruise control and the Explorer has a front camera. I am really starting to wonder if this system is really functional on my Ranger? I travel the same road in both my Ranger and Explorer. This road in particular is a limited access 2 lane state highway with a 55mph speed limit. Vehicles are always slowing down in front of you to turn, or vehicles pull out in front of you and go nowhere so you can come up on them pretty fast. The collision system on the Explorer activates to some level all the time. My Ranger does not activate in these same situations, ever. I've learned with the Explorer that there may be options in the settings menus that the vehicle doesn't have. Case in point, I can go into the menu settings on the Explorer and turn off or on the auto engine shut down but the vehicle doesn't have that feature. Im starting to think this is the case with my Ranger. The settings are there but the collision system is not installed, but should be, or turned on. Could someone without adaptive cruse control chime in as to if their system has ever activated on them. If so, at least I could check that off in my process of elimination.

Does anyone know if the dealer would have a way to address this?

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
I have yet to do a test such as you did but as in an earlier post I don't believe the system on my truck is working at all. Another Ranger owner I know tells me his definitely activates as it does in my 2017 Explorer. The difference in these vehicles compared to my Ranger XLT is both have adaptive cruise control and the Explorer has a front camera. I am really starting to wonder if this system is really functional on my Ranger? I travel the same road in both my Ranger and Explorer. This road in particular is a limited access 2 lane state highway with a 55mph speed limit. Vehicles are always slowing down in front of you to turn, or vehicles pull out in front of you and go nowhere so you can come up on them pretty fast. The collision system on the Explorer activates to some level all the time. My Ranger does not activate in these same situations, ever. I've learned with the Explorer that there may be options in the settings menus that the vehicle doesn't have. Case in point, I can go into the menu settings on the Explorer and turn off or on the auto engine shut down but the vehicle doesn't have that feature. Im starting to think this is the case with my Ranger. The settings are there but the collision system is not installed, but should be, or turned on. Could someone without adaptive cruse control chime in as to if their system has ever activated on them. If so, at least I could check that off in my process of elimination.

Does anyone know if the dealer would have a way to address this?
I use Adaptive Cruse Everyday to and from work. It slows me down and matching the speed of who ever I am behind. when I turn on my turn signed it starts to speed up even before I move into the other lane... only issue I have is if I am not paying attention I end up follow a truck at a speed lower then the cruse is set at :) once I got use to that I have had not issues

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I've got 0 issues with pre-collision assist. It's turned off! No adaptive cruise control, lane assist, or anything else to take my attention away from my job at the time....to focus and drive safely.

Remember when we used paper maps? Your driving world was extended miles and miles. GPS Navigation turns your world to inches...i.e. the screen telling you where to turn and maybe that quickly upcoming sign or road (that maybe you just passed). As it is, you better have an idea on where you are going anyway and just Navigation as an aid.

Same with these sensors. You relax. Argue all you want, but you relax. You have to if you are going to trust the technology. Your driving world then shrinks significantly. I get it though. I've been behind so many people that are blatantly driving and looking down at their phones. I want to get out of the vehicle and slap these people. So in some respects, I'm happy for the technology to save me from being rear-ended...problem is, technology fails and when it does, possibly the accident will be much worse. We should just hold people to a standard instead of catering to the lowest common denominator.

Take that example above with the 2 trash cans. Say it's your young daughter driving your vehicle and she's been brought up around technology and for her, she totally trusts the collision assist, because, actually learning to drive is such a drag. So she's driving down the road joking with her friends, confident the technology will save her (you know, just like those sappy commercials), when a 3 year runs out into the street. squish and a little kids head is cracked open like a melon. Had she been focusing and looking around, she would have seen the two kids kicking the ball and anticipated that she needed to be careful.

I'm teaching my wife to drive and ya, I could get her a super sensorised (refuse to use the word "safe") vehicle, but instead I'm teaching her to DRIVE which requires focus, anticipation, critical thinking. We are not handing that over to computers and sensors.

rant over :) For those that love the technology, good luck.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I've got 0 issues with pre-collision assist. It's turned off! No adaptive cruise control, lane assist, or anything else to take my attention away from my job at the time....to focus and drive safely.

Remember when we used paper maps? Your driving world was extended miles and miles. GPS Navigation turns your world to inches...i.e. the screen telling you where to turn and maybe that quickly upcoming sign or road (that maybe you just passed). As it is, you better have an idea on where you are going anyway and just Navigation as an aid.

Same with these sensors. You relax. Argue all you want, but you relax. You have to if you are going to trust the technology. Your driving world then shrinks significantly. I get it though. I've been behind so many people that are blatantly driving and looking down at their phones. I want to get out of the vehicle and slap these people. So in some respects, I'm happy for the technology to save me from being rear-ended...problem is, technology fails and when it does, possibly the accident will be much worse. We should just hold people to a standard instead of catering to the lowest common denominator.

Take that example above with the 2 trash cans. Say it's your young daughter driving your vehicle and she's been brought up around technology and for her, she totally trusts the collision assist, because, actually learning to drive is such a drag. So she's driving down the road joking with her friends, confident the technology will save her (you know, just like those sappy commercials), when a 3 year runs out into the street. squish and a little kids head is cracked open like a melon. Had she been focusing and looking around, she would have seen the two kids kicking the ball and anticipated that she needed to be careful.

I'm teaching my wife to drive and ya, I could get her a super sensorised (refuse to use the word "safe") vehicle, but instead I'm teaching her to DRIVE which requires focus, anticipation, critical thinking. We are not handing that over to computers and sensors.

Yes, in the "good old days" nobody ever ran into anybody else. :rolleyes: What's weird is that motor vehicle fatalities peaked in 1972 even though the cars had basically nonexistent safety systems and smart phones weren't even science fiction yet. o_O

On a possibly related note, did you know that most drivers think their driving is above average? :like:

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
must be an exciting classroom with you as an instructor.
using melons as training aids and smashing them to get the point across
I have used Melons as effective demonstrations of hard hats and how they protect your melon. Felt a bit like Gallagher :piggybank:

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Personally I have always been a fan of innovation and technology. Computers, air flight, space travel, automobile, locomotive, printing press, medical, etc. It's hard to imagine my world today if the naysayers would have prevailed in stopping the advancement of technology in the day, and ongoing. We are currently living thru technological advancement in our lives just as people did long ago in their lives, for better or worse. The most fascinating conversations I've had are with older folks, well, older than me, who when asked about technology in their lives can talk for hours about what they experienced and the impact, usually good, on their lives. It's fascinating to listen.

In the 48 years I have driven, new technology in my vehicles has never impacted or changed the way I drive. I'm probably more fascinated that someone came up with this or that idea. My kids are excellent drivers even though their cars are filled with technology because I spent the time instructing them in the first place. As I say, that yellow line in the middle of the road is all that separates you from death so you better be alert to your surroundings at all times! Now my wife's driving not so much. I hang on for dear life :whew:.

I am just thankful that to travel I don't have to hook the horses up to a wagon.

As far as my post I just want to know if the pre collision actually works, period. It's supposed to be on the vehicle, I paid for it. Has absolutely no bearing on my driving habits. It's more of it bugs me kinda thing. I only know it activates in my 2017 Explorer because evidently my wife turned it on, it's her daily vehicle and there's no way I'm messing with her controls or there will be hell to pay if I can't get it back to where it was the last she drove it. :frown:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Personally I have always been a fan of innovation and technology. Computers, air flight, space travel, automobile, locomotive, printing press, medical, etc. It's hard to imagine my world today if the naysayers would have prevailed in stopping the advancement of technology in the day, and ongoing. We are currently living thru technological advancement in our lives just as people did long ago in their lives, for better or worse. The most fascinating conversations I've had are with older folks, well, older than me, who when asked about technology in their lives can talk for hours about what they experienced and the impact, usually good, on their lives. It's fascinating to listen.

In the 48 years I have driven, new technology in my vehicles has never impacted or changed the way I drive. I'm probably more fascinated that someone came up with this or that idea. My kids are excellent drivers even though their cars are filled with technology because I spent the time instructing them in the first place. As I say, that yellow line in the middle of the road is all that separates you from death so you better be alert to your surroundings at all times! Now my wife's driving not so much. I hang on for dear life :whew:.

I am just thankful that to travel I don't have to hook the horses up to a wagon.

As far as my post I just want to know if the pre collision actually works, period. It's supposed to be on the vehicle, I paid for it. Has absolutely no bearing on my driving habits. It's more of it bugs me kinda thing. I only know it activates in my 2017 Explorer because evidently my wife turned it on, it's her daily vehicle and there's no way I'm messing with her controls or there will be hell to pay if I can't get it back to where it was the last she drove it. :frown:

Mine works very well.:thumbsup:

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw

I didn't pay much attention to the gibberish you posted until the part in bold. Yes I would like to know that my pre collision assist is there and functioning for my young driver who I know is going to make mistakes. I am teaching her the right way believe it or not. I guess with your logic I should remove the air bags just so she's even more cautious since everyone is clearly driving more dangerous knowing they have them. If I go one step further and I cut the seat belts out she'll likely never speed. I'd assume you took these steps to further enhance driving safer? Why stop by just turning off the useless, bad habit forming pre collision? Go all in!! Glad you contributed to this post, you probably just saved a few thousand lives with your logic of how we don't need and/or shouldn't have additional supplemental safety technology. :fistbump:

I am like Schafies, I don't think my system is working....

Last edited:

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase

I was wondering if your parking assist is working i.e. when you are parking and get close to a pole or car or something doe it give a warning? I could be wrong but part of the sensors that are use for this, may also be used in the adaptive cruse

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was wondering if your parking assist is working i.e. when you are parking and get close to a pole or car or something doe it give a warning? I could be wrong but part of the sensors that are use for this, may also be used in the adaptive cruse
Yes everything seems to be working properly with the park assist.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Yes everything seems to be working properly with the park assist.
I am assuming you don't have adaptive cruise either? Sorry if you already mentioned that. I am convinced mine is not working either. I have it on it's highest setting and nothing happens. The manual says: "Note: If you perceive Pre-Collision assist alerts as being too frequent or disturbing, then you can reduce the alert sensitivity, though the manufacturer recommends using the highest setting...." :surprised:

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am assuming you don't have adaptive cruise either? Sorry if you already mentioned that. I am convinced mine is not working either. I have it on it's highest setting and nothing happens. The manual says: "Note: If you perceive Pre-Collision assist alerts as being too frequent or disturbing, then you can reduce the alert sensitivity, though the manufacturer recommends using the highest setting...." :surprised:
Right. I do not have adaptive cruise.

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I would like to know that my pre collision assist is there and functioning for my young driver who I know is going to make mistakes.

I am like Schafies, I don't think my system is working....
Unfortunately and whether we like to admit it, we all make mistakes/ errors. As accomplished drivers with experience we may make less mistakes than young new drivers.

I also would like to know how the pre collision system is working as my Garmin dash cam seems to alert me better than the Ford system that has yet to go off. I do not have adaptive cruise control and I haven't found a radar unit in my grill. I am assuming the pre collision works similar to my Garmin and is a vision system. I just recently adjusted the sensitivity to high to see if I see some type of alert. Nothing yet but I haven't had any close calls. Time and distracted drivers will tell.
Sponsored