Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I mounted my lights to the frame instead of the rocker panel like AMP illustrated. I think they’ll last longer there and no drilling. Shine on boards just fine.
I actually haven't installed the lights yet, I picked up a set of bright true white lights from Amazon (didn't like the blue hue of the AMP lights) instead and was thinking of mounting them to the frame as well.
Sponsored

TexasTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CC
Vehicle Showcase
I mounted my lights to the frame instead of the rocker panel like AMP illustrated. I think they’ll last longer there and no drilling. Shine on boards just fine.
Per the instructions I mounted mine on the rocker. They are well protected by the step covering them.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, thats a nice video! haha, thanks for posting it - i just put it up in my build thread too. If anyone has questions, lemme know!
Josh, you have a beautiful truck!

Did you have to drill a hole in the floor to get the wires up to the OBD II port connection? Or was that an existing plug?

Also, I couldn't tell if the steps had lights on them - I thought they did? The LED puddle lights are so bright I think it made it hard to see the step lights :)

TexasTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CC
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the confusion, I meant to say that all other running boards (non-electric) for this Ranger are 79", so why did AMP design their E-Boards at 72", they don't look right.
You know, after installing mine (perfectionist), I think the length is a design trade off for two reasons.
1) The truck body/rocker flares outward at each end; behind the front tire and in front of the rear tire. So to keep the step as close to the body/rocker as possible, they shorten it.
2) When the board retracts the rear end of the board uses the body of the truck as a lever to force the front end of the board tight against the truck. In other words, when the board retracts, the rear end of the board hits the body/rocker first and then the front end is pulled up against the body/rocker. It is subtle, but watch it in action. Oddly, my left side is more noticeable than the right for some reason. According to the instructions I have, they said to measure ~4.5" from the rear end of the board and mount it to the rear bracket/hinge. The problem I noticed is with the board retracted, the front end of the board was further away (seemed to sag) from the body than the rear end - because of the body/rocker flare. So I re-mounted the board, but used 4" instead of 4.5 and now the board end caps on each end of the board are equal distance (1/8") away from the body/rocker.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Josh, you have a beautiful truck!

Did you have to drill a hole in the floor to get the wires up to the OBD II port connection? Or was that an existing plug?

Also, I couldn't tell if the steps had lights on them - I thought they did? The LED puddle lights are so bright I think it made it hard to see the step lights :)
Thank you!

Yes, I had to drill a hole just forward of the Amp Idler arm up into the cab to feed the two purple wires that attach tot he OBD II dongle. It also comes with a rubber grommet to somewhat seal the hole. After the video, I put some silicone sealant on the wires just inside the cab and pulled them back through a little to completely seal the hole.

The steps come with lights that you're supposed to mount on the rocker panels but I didn't want to use the ones provided as they have a blue tint to them and I wanted white ones. I ordered some replacements and will be mounting them on the frame instead so they're not visible on the rocker when the steps are open. Not a huge deal, just trying to keep the exterior looking as clean as possible. The LEDs I ordered to replace the amp ones are bright white to match the puddle lamps :like:

OP
OP

Manny

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, thats a nice video! haha, thanks for posting it - i just put it up in my build thread too. If anyone has questions, lemme know!
Josh, are you still liking and recommending the E-Boards by AMP Research ?

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Josh, are you still liking and recommending the E-Boards by AMP Research ?
What’s not to love. I have them on my F150, their AWESOME!!
A27F3CF0-F18F-4E0F-BA0E-8B3ABE8CBCE8.jpeg

OP
OP

Manny

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone in the US come across the Hamer Power Boards, I saw a video of them being installed on a Ranger but in the Philippines.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Has anyone in the US come across the Hamer Power Boards, I saw a video of them being installed on a Ranger but in the Philippines.
Why not just get AMP? You asked about 2 years ago. Hamer videos only from face book. Little other info. Outside USA only?

OP
OP

Manny

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Why not just get AMP? You asked about 2 years ago. Hamer videos only from face book. Little other info. Outside USA only?
you are right, I've been looking/waiting two years on some power boards that don't look retrofitted and have not found one that looks like it was designed for the Ranger.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
you are right, I've been looking/waiting two years on some power boards that don't look retrofitted and have not found one that looks like it was designed for the Ranger.
Hi Manny

I agree....If well done, I would entertain installing over my step bars....but the aftermarket has not yet produced such bars....

Best,
Phil

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
AMP’s are great. Two motors each side would be perfect. They sell some vehicles with 4 motors in package.
Not sure how you get better than this.

OP
OP

Manny

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
AMP’s are great. Two motors each side would be perfect. They sell some vehicles with 4 motors in package.
Not sure how you get better than this.

thanks for the video, but you will notice the gap in the back end of the truck, its even with the backdoor but the cab is longer so it needs a few more inches to look perfect
Sponsored