Favorite Running Boards

passaloutre

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
I'm leaning towards the Rhino RB20 with bedliner, but wondering what everyone else likes. Is it possible to get the OEM boards? How much would they cost?
Sponsored

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I'm wondering the same. I had RRO sliders on my Jeep before this truck and I hated how my pant leg would brush against the sometimes muddy bar, and made the step in and out awkward. I haven't seen that complaint from the Shrockworks sliders that look pretty decent and install easy, supposedly. I have been eyeing a set of the Tremor take-offs but haven't landed any yet.

Mastodon

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2020 Explorer Limited
I’m 6’4”, so I don’t need steps for my truck. I had a pair on my older F-150, and kept thinking about taking them off, because they were too obtrusive. Stuck out far enough that my leg was at a weird angle to avoid them, and but truck wasn’t really high enough to need them.

That said, I wanted something on the Ranger for a few reasons: I wanted to hide the pinch weld. I have young kids with short legs, and don’t want to lift them in and out of the truck. I wanted something that could help protect the truck for when I finally get around to taking it off-road. But they couldn’t be too big.

I went with the Shrockworks, once I managed to scrounge up enough money to pay for a set. To me, they look the best out of all the rock slider options, are beefy as hell, and are functional as steps. I can use them if I want to, but I don’t don’t really notice them when I get in or out of the truck. Even my wife, at 5’6” commented that she didn’t notice them.

14259348-529D-4B0A-8E4C-2BDCB7A047A5.jpeg

But my kids can use them. Even my 2 year old can now climb up into the cab by herself.
09F4C86E-5BDD-4D6B-BBEB-3FFE499BBF52.jpeg

Haven’t tried to see how well they do at protecting the truck yet, but so far… yeah, I’m happy with them.

If you want the factory boards though, keep an eye on the forum marketplace. There’s usually always a pair or two on there for sale, and typically at a pretty good price too.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...ger-supercrew-running-boards-nerf-bars.14509/

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I like the factory ones. I bought a pair but failed to notice they are for a super crew an I have a super cab. I'm looking to sell them for what I have in them plus shipping!

I have a set of cheap ebay nerf bars but like the factory ones much better.

OP
OP

passaloutre

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
I like the factory ones. I bought a pair but failed to notice they are for a super crew an I have a super cab. I'm looking to sell them for what I have in them plus shipping!

I have a set of cheap ebay nerf bars but like the factory ones much better.
How much you looking to get for them?

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
@Mastodon thanks for the positive review of the Shrockworks and the data points on 6'-4" and a 5'-6" (common height for a wifey).

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I scraped/dented my passenger side running board and am looking at what to do - buy someone's takeoffs (someone here in GA a little more than 100 miles away has a set for sale) but 10 gallons of gas tacks on $50 to the cost and I might entertain a different style if it was tucked up near the body - higher and closer to the cab. I feel the factory ones aren't fitted in the most appealing way.

An alternative is to disassemble both boards, replace the damaged plastic and coat the metal with bed liner paint.

Raptor brand RB look suspiciously like stock and can be gotten fairly cheap.

Rhino RB10's look good but really out of my range.

Anyone have pics of 5 -5.5 inch wide aftermarket boards they'll share?

Last edited:

OffroadAlliance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2021 Raptor, 2022 F250, 2023 Bronco
The GoRhino steps are pretty great and pretty durable. We've got them in stock in powder coated and also in the protective bedliner coating. Definitely a lot of stepping space as far as running boards go and the bedliner ones will have good traction.

Clank

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Tyger Blade and love them. Sit tight to cab and extend out enough to be useful, but I can easily step over them too if I want to.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I have the cheap eBay/Amazon nerf bars. My truck has the chrome package so I was limited in choices to get matching chrome. They look good on the truck but I don't really use them to get in an out unless I'm parked with a slope an it's a higher than normal step in.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I have a pair of NFAB on mine. Don't use, 6'3" but wife needs. They are tucked up nice too.
Took a few scraped shins for me to learn they are there, now, no biggie.

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I have the cheap eBay/Amazon nerf bars. My truck has the chrome package so I was limited in choices to get matching chrome. They look good on the truck but I don't really use them to get in an out unless I'm parked with a slope an it's a higher than normal step in.
I didn't order mine with running boards but now wish I had. Been looking at the item you have and wonder if the install is easy or a PITA

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
I didn't order mine with running boards but now wish I had. Been looking at the item you have and wonder if the install is easy or a PITA
I just threw on the slim RB20's from Go Rhino, super easy install (as I imagine most running boards are). My truck didn't come with running boards, so i just had to crawl underneath and pull the plastic plugs in the mounting holes for the running boards. From there, it was a simply process of bolting on the brackets for the running boards, then the running boards themselves.

Install took about an hour, would have been less if the instructions were better...

Edit: Link to photo
Sponsored

Last edited: