First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Quality control (or lack of) extends to dealer service also. I let the dealer do my first oil change just prior to a cross country trip (5k miles). On return, I decided to change oil myself and save my FordPass points for something better. To my shock and horror, I found the drain plug to be not even FINGER TIGHT!!

I can just imagine the kid doing the oil change got a text or interuption after he hand threaded the plug back in. And then on return had a brain fart and started dumping in oil, and called it job done (or so he thought).

By some miracle the engine never leaked a drop, but if it had I would not have noticed driving the interstate for hours on end, until the oil light came on (and permanent damage done).

That was the first dealer oil change I have had done in over 20 years, and sadly, my last. I will certainly call the dealer service manager and let him know what happened as the next guy may not be as lucky.
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Hellrazor said:

They put more love in making the lariat.. perfect alignment on everything
.................................................................................................................................................................................
not true, i have a 4x2 lariat, my hood extends over fender sides at least a 1/4" on one side and 1/8" on other side. the right rear of my bed sits 3/4" higher than left side..
Certainly is not true:like:,
They put the same dedication to excellence into my STX as they do in all their products. Remarkably better than any of their competitors.

However, entry level Rangers (XL series) do offer WAY more content and quality for the money than ANY of their competitors entry level products...Hands down!.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JeffWoodall

JeffWoodall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4
Occupation
Security, Retired military (20 yrs), retired law enforcement (15 yrs)
Vehicle Showcase
Jeff,
I was interested in watching the video you posted (and it wasn't muted) but couldn't get it to play?
Not sure what the deal is, it's in MP4 format. It's just me showing the difference in the gap on each side by sticking my thumb in the gap/attempting to on the right side, but that is evident in the photo anyway. I am an attention to detail kind of guy, I just can't believe I missed it until I posted a pic on here and noticed it for the first time.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Not sure what the deal is, it's in MP4 format. It's just me showing the difference in the gap on each side by sticking my thumb in the gap/attempting to on the right side, but that is evident in the photo anyway. I am an attention to detail kind of guy, I just can't believe I missed it until I posted a pic on here and noticed it for the first time.
Jeff, I'm with you on details. I'm very particular about the fit of the hood, doors, tailgate and all other panels. That also includes workmanship, quality, and operation of everything else that comes on the Truck. I'm going to re-check the front end fittings on mine to see if there is any variation.

ArgyleRooster

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
My '20 lariat has the misaligned bumper, both front quarter panels rub the A pillars and paint rubbed off on both where they touch, in turn the fenders are misaligned with the doors, and the hood overhangs the fenders. Little issues for sure but once I noticed I see it every time I get in the truck.

Already took it to my dealer and scheduled up with the body shop. Hopefully it'll look better.

This is the second Ranger since the first (from a different dealer) had swirls and a scratch on the roof all the way through to bare metal and the response from the manager of that dealership was "oh well, if you don't get on the steps to look at it you won't see it."

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
not true, i have a 4x2 lariat, my hood extends over fender sides at least a 1/4" on one side and 1/8" on other side. the right rear of my bed sits 3/4" higher than left side..
Take it in. They'll fix it. I had both beds needing adjustment. First one was off center by almost half an inch, but level. The other was about 1/4" lower on the driver side, but centered. I've found going to a dealer with a body shop is the best bet because the guys in the shop hate adjusting body panels, etc... The body shop guy is a perfectionist at my dealer and realigned the bumper perfectly to match.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There is a pic out there of the North American F-100 fighter assembly line back in the 1950s that has a big sign saying "Quality must be built into a product-it cannot be inspected into it." If you look at it this way, QC is irrelevant while initial assembly is just the opposite. Twisted bed owner here.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
All these comments got me to wondering so I just went and checked hood and bumper alignment. All is good on my just off the lot 2019 STX 4 x 4. Haven't found any faults yet.
Where did you find a new '19 still? And how deeply was it discounted?

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I've had my 2021 almost a month now. I noticed yesterday that the driver's side rear door does not fit flush at its lower right section... there's a gap. I compared to passenger side... that side is perfectly flush, no gaps.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
All these comments got me to wondering so I just went and checked hood and bumper alignment. All is good on my just off the lot 2019 STX 4 x 4. Haven't found any faults yet.
Your 2019? Its likely someone ELSE already corrected the flaws! LOL

D Fresh said:
Where did you find a new '19 still? And how deeply was it discounted?
OP didn't say it was "new". (and it was his first post).......... Clarification needed.......

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I've had my 2021 almost a month now. I noticed yesterday that the driver's side rear door does not fit flush at its lower right section... there's a gap. I compared to passenger side... that side is perfectly flush, no gaps.
I just checked mine and same door does not sit flush as well. I measured it comparing it to the passenger rear door and there's a 2.5 mm difference between them. This may be where the wind noise when on the freeway is coming from. I'm going to see if I can adjust the door striker to pull the door in some.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
There is a pic out there of the North American F-100 fighter assembly line back in the 1950s that has a big sign saying "Quality must be built into a product-it cannot be inspected into it." If you look at it this way, QC is irrelevant while initial assembly is just the opposite. Twisted bed owner here.
That’s my motto where I work in medical devices. If you do your job with excellence there will be no need for quality to be involved. In fact they’re going to be the first ones to tell you job well done! Then the other thing I say is, if that was being made for use on your family would it be acceptable? If the answer is no then scrap it!

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My tailgate is not evenly gapped on both sides. I will just live with it even though I despise it.

My 2016 Mustang had HORRIBLE panel gap consistency. I made the dealer fix everything they could. They damn near told me never to return. I hope Ford heard about me. Ford's ability to line up parts these days is bloody horrible. VW gets it right. Toyota gets it right. Hyundai gets it right. Hell, even every single recent Chevrolet I've come across was damn good. Dodge is getting it right.

But Ford... nope.
My entire bed is twisted. If you park the truck on level ground you can see it from fifty feet away and I don't think shims or any other dealer "fix" will be able to correct it. I just don't get it-we also have three Kias and all of them have a fit and finish that is twice that of the Ranger. I was going to peel the crooked and wrinkled windshield sticker off but I eventually decided to leave it on as a metaphor for the entire vehicle. Quality is Job One, indeed.
Sponsored

Last edited: