Pet Peeves

HotPepperRedRanger

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2015 Ford Edge 2012 Toyota Camry
Interesting. I hadn't thought of that sort of scenario. I've always used my side mirrors much more than the rearview one. Mostly because the plowtruck I used to plow the driveway back home growing up didn't have a rearview mirror and the rear window was usually covered with snow or frost so I had to rely on the side mirrors to back-up. So I became pretty good at just doing that. I honestly don't even really look out the back window when backing up even to this day. It screws me up if I try and I start going all kittywampus.

Definitely a pet peeve for you though, agreed.

I think it might be covering up the wiring for the defrost in the slider or something maybe. Or just part of the defrost system for the whole rear window. Not sure.
Same here, drove fire engines for many a year and side mirrors were the only option. I don’t think I ever look in rear view when backing, and rear view camera.....
Sponsored

dangerranger16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Last edited:

Deleted member 1634

Same here, drove fire engines for many a year and side mirrors were the only option. I don’t think I ever look in rear view when backing, and rear view camera.....
The only times I use the rear camera are when I'm hooking up the trailer or backing into the garage since I have to get within a couple inches of the stuff at the back in order for the truck to fit well enough.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
When I back up the boat/trailer I'm not using the rear view mirror. I'm turning my head and shoulders to look out the rear window with left hand on steering wheel while backing. With the tailgate down I have a panoramic view of the boat, wife in the boat, trailer tires/fenders as it enters the water, the dock, and any people near the ramp or boat. I would be kittywampus if I tried to use the mirror. Brain is hired wired after 38 years of using this technique. :crazy:

But I did drive a sugar beet truck for my cousins for several years and had to get use to using the side mirrors while backing but that was a truck only (no trailer).

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
Almost hitting my head every time I get into it I need to really duck down and I'm not that tall...
*Dealing with my Ford dealer who makes everything too F*** hard > I sure Hope I have no issues with my Ranger as I have little trust in the dealer I bought it from.

robsquatch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Almost hitting my head every time I get into it I need to really duck down and I'm not that tall...
*Dealing with my Ford dealer who makes everything too F*** hard > I sure Hope I have no issues with my Ranger as I have little trust in the dealer I bought it from.
I'm 6'4" and I feel like I'm cramming myself inside a sardine can

Deleted member 1634

I'm 6'4" and I feel like I'm cramming myself inside a sardine can
Really? That's interesting. I'm 6' 1" and have never had any trouble getting in and out, nor do I feel cramped inside. Sure, it's not as huge as an F-150 inside, but that's why I like it. Interesting that people not much bigger than me are having trouble, never would've thought.

robsquatch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Really? That's interesting. I'm 6' 1" and have never had any trouble getting in and out, nor do I feel cramped inside. Sure, it's not as huge as an F-150 inside, but that's why I like it. Interesting that people not much bigger than me are having trouble, never would've thought.
It's just the getting in part...I have to duck my head real low, but bring my butt up to the seat at the same time. Our trucks actually have a very low roofline. Once I'm in, I have plenty of room.

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
The elephant in the room is where we sit to see the dash. It is for me anyway. I can only position myself just so high or low that I can see the whole dash comfortably over the steering wheel and I have a long torso and legs at 5ft 10 but shorter legs with a 31 inseam. I am set now but I still have to duck down to get in since my seat is set higher then others might have it. :^) YMMV

Deleted member 1634

It's just the getting in part...I have to duck my head real low, but bring my butt up to the seat at the same time. Our trucks actually have a very low roofline. Once I'm in, I have plenty of room.
I guess I might duck a little bit subconsciously when I get in too. I don't know. I'm used to getting into smaller cars with smaller and lower door openings, so maybe that has just carried over to this truck and it's just what I'm used to. But now that people are mentioning it, I don't doubt I'll start to think about it too much and end up bumping my head. In the same vain of once you start to think about breathing, you can't do it right. haha

Mcoop57

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4X4, 2016 Honda Goldwing, 2017 Volkswagen GTI
Occupation
Retired
My only true complaint about the truck is the paper thin sheet metal, it takes a ding way to easily
I think you’re right about this one. I’m pretty sure my wife dented my left rear just reaching into the bed for a kayak paddle on our first trip to the boat ramp, and NO she doesn’t have implants!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The elephant in the room is where we sit to see the dash. It is for me anyway. I can only position myself just so high or low that I can see the whole dash comfortably over the steering wheel and I have a long torso and legs at 5ft 10 but shorter legs with a 31 inseam. I am set now but I still have to duck down to get in since my seat is set higher then others might have it. :^) YMMV
Hmm? Interesting comments.

I have the seat up as high as it will go, I'm 6'1 and I've never hit my head getting into or out of our Ranger.

I guess I might duck a little bit subconsciously when I get in too....
I think that's it.

We had an '02 Tacoma for the previous 17 years though. Might be simply a matter of being used to climbing in and out of mid-size trucks, vs full size 4x4 trucks.. which I've never owned?

I know that when getting into full size trucks though it almost feels like cllmbing into the back of a semi box trailer... crazy amount of room.

Last edited:

FASRanger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2014 Mustang GT/CS and a 1989 GT Mustang vert.
Occupation
Aerospace Lab Technician
Vehicle Showcase
not really a pet peeve but lets discuss the horn...I damn near have to hit it with my fist to get it to work....

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
not really a pet peeve but lets discuss the horn...I damn near have to hit it with my fist to get it to work....
Horns have sucked ever since airbags came around. I can give my '91 F-150 the lightest chirp at someone I'm passing. It's nice.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Right eh? This is especially annoying when I'm trying to do a friendly double tap and end up with either one or two big honks having to hit it so hard:facepalm:

I love horn buttons on my MINI...
Sponsored