Pet Peeves

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Manual Sliding or Power Sliding... those windows are so small, I'm at a loss as to why they even bothered to add the rear window?

On my '02 Tacoma I liked the sliding rear window because it was full height. This allowed you to open the window and slide long items through the window into the cab (like long trim boards, pvc pipe etc.). Those items would lay on the metal window frame. But since the Ranger window is like a portal through glass, I couldn't imagine ever laying anything on the glass in fear of breaking it. Therefore I didn't get one at all.

Rear Window.jpg
The Ranger's entire rear window (not just the slider) is small to begin with and only seems to get smaller on Rangers with the sliding rear window. I was comparing Rangers with the slider as compared to Rangers without. The trucks were locked but peering in the windows it looks like you lose a considerable amount of clear glass along the bottom edge (just above the top of the backrest) on Rangers with the slider.

There is black paint (window dressing? I don't know what to call it) along the entire width of the window's bottom edge with the sliders and it is not present on Rangers without the sliders. Is that to cover up the track or sliding mechanism for the slider? Seems like you sacrifice a lot of rear visibility with the slider.
Sponsored

TrebMaxx

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4 Ford Ranger
My list but I must say I still love this truck.

1. Auto Start Stop - I know there are solutions for my ire. I just wish the system would come with the ability to remember the last setting. From the factory. Might be a EPA thing, I don't know.
2. No 60-40 rear seat.
3. Storage holes in Super Crew. Can we have some covers? And...Maybe a bit larger? (I miss my F-150 screw cabs flat floor.)
4. Rear seat back not being able to be laid down flat.
5. I like to see what gear I am more than the lane control stuff (XLT). I hit the + on the gear shift so I can see the gears. Sometimes it remembers and sometimes when I start it up it is back showing the lane control. This may be a user issue but I can't figure out what I do different to cause the change in the display.
6. The silver skid plates. At first it was something I thought I would get used too. Now I am trying to decide if I will paint the skids, wrap or plastic dip. Very small issue though, it just doesn't look right to me and the black package reinforces my feelings. Too bad that option was not available when I purchased my Ranger.
7. Lack of Homelink garage door opener. I will have to admit I did not even think to look to see if it was there when I bought my Ranger. I just assumed that at the price I was paying surely it was there and it wasn't on my radar at the moment. My other 11 year old car has it. My 10 year old F-150 had it. Still my bad for not checking but Ford is bad for not having it on a $40,000+ vehicle.
8. Not having a power back sliding window.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

1. Auto Start Stop - I know there are solutions for my ire. I just wish the system would come with the ability to remember the last setting. From the factory. Might be a EPA thing, I don't know.
2. No 60-40 rear seat.
3. Storage holes in Super Crew. Can we have some covers? And...Maybe a bit larger? (I miss my F-150 screw cabs flat floor.)
5. I like to see what gear I am more than the lane control stuff (XLT). I hit the + on the gear shift so I can see the gears. Sometimes it remembers and sometimes when I start it up it is back showing the lane control. This may be a user issue but I can't figure out what I do different to cause the change in the display.
6. The silver skid plates. At first it was something I thought I would get used too. Now I am trying to decide if I will paint the skids, wrap or plastic dip. Very small issue though, it just doesn't look right to me and the black package reinforces my feelings. Too bad that option was not available when I purchased my Ranger.
7. Lack of Homelink garage door opener. I will have to admit I did not even think to look to see if it was there when I bought my Ranger. I just assumed that at the price I was paying surely it was there and it wasn't on my radar at the moment. My other 11 year old car has it. My 10 year old F-150 had it. Still my bad for not checking but Ford is bad for not having it on a $40,000+ vehicle.
I can agree with 2, 4 and 5.

For #7, there is one, but maybe it is a Lariat only thing. I was able to program my visor buttons to open my garage door.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

2. No 60-40 rear seat.
isnt the little thing on the driver side visor a garage door opener?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
isnt the little thing on the driver side visor a garage door opener?
Yes it is. Very easy to program,I followed this video and worked first the time. I actually programed all 3 so I can just reach under and hit any one of them. :D

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Yes it is. Very easy to program,I followed this video and worked first the time. I actually programed all 3 so I can just reach under and hit any one of them. :D

I just did one, never thought of doing them all. I might program one of the others to the in-law’s garage so when we visit if it’s raining or snowing we can get in quicker! I think I read somewhere else that the buttons can be programmed to lights and gates and other things?

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
I had put dampers on all my trucks.... Especially full size. Don't have to worry about them slamming down. Get whacked on the leg or knee once without one and you'll want a damper. Also easier if one hand is loaded with goods. Easier if you are getting older, it helps too. Got arthritis in my hands. So, not about being a weak pussy, it's about common sense and why the hell doesn't manufacturers just throw them on? Why put them under your hood? Use a 2x4... isn't that cheaper and easier? </sarcasm_off>:sunglasses:

To those who wonder why.
Tool box, soft close drawers or old slam shut drawers? Soft close because it's cool. No other reason needed. Add dampers it they ever sell some.

TrebMaxx

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4 Ford Ranger
I can agree with 2, 4 and 5.

For #7, there is one, but maybe it is a Lariat only thing. I was able to program my visor buttons to open my garage door.
Yep, didn't think I would need a lariat for the garage opener and I bought the XLT. My XLT F-150 had one so it wasn't on my radar when shopping and purchasing. That was my mistake for not noticing. I put it as a pet peeve because a $40,000+ vehicle should have that option IMHO.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang

Deleted member 1634

The Ranger's entire rear window (not just the slider) is small to begin with and only seems to get smaller on Rangers with the sliding rear window. I was comparing Rangers with the slider as compared to Rangers without. The trucks were locked but peering in the windows it looks like you lose a considerable amount of clear glass along the bottom edge (just above the top of the backrest) on Rangers with the slider.

There is black paint (window dressing? I don't know what to call it) along the entire width of the window's bottom edge with the sliders and it is not present on Rangers without the sliders. Is that to cover up the track or sliding mechanism for the slider? Seems like you sacrifice a lot of rear visibility with the slider.
Having an extra strip of covering along the bottom doesn't really affect rear visibility that much. The limiting factor looking out the back is the height of the tailgate, which comes about 1/4 of the way up the window when I'm looking in the rearview mirror. So that extra inch or so that's now covered on my slider wasn't helping me anyways.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Having an extra strip of covering along the bottom doesn't really affect rear visibility that much. The limiting factor looking out the back is the height of the tailgate, which comes about 1/4 of the way up the window when I'm looking in the rearview mirror. So that extra inch or so that's now covered on my slider wasn't helping me anyways.
Agreed, for routine driving it is not an issue. But, when backing my boat into the garage or down a launch ramp I drop the tailgate and look out the rear window while backing. I probably should become more skilled using the side mirrors while backing but a 38 year habit is hard to change. The 2019 ranger I test drove had the slider and that strip of black window dressing was in the perfect location to obscure my visibility while backing the boat.

Ya, it is a nit complaint, but this is the pet peeves thread. :) Easily solved for me by not ordering the rear slider. I'm still curious what that dressing is covering up?

Deleted member 1634

Agreed, for routine driving it is not an issue. But, when backing my boat into the garage or down a launch ramp I drop the tailgate and look out the rear window while backing. I probably should become more skilled using the side mirrors while backing but a 38 year habit is hard to change. The 2019 ranger I test drove had the slider and that strip of black window dressing was in the perfect location to obscure my visibility while backing the boat.

Ya, it is a nit complaint, but this is the pet peeves thread. :) Easily solved for me by not ordering the rear slider. I'm still curious what that dressing is covering up?
Interesting. I hadn't thought of that sort of scenario. I've always used my side mirrors much more than the rearview one. Mostly because the plowtruck I used to plow the driveway back home growing up didn't have a rearview mirror and the rear window was usually covered with snow or frost so I had to rely on the side mirrors to back-up. So I became pretty good at just doing that. I honestly don't even really look out the back window when backing up even to this day. It screws me up if I try and I start going all kittywampus.

Definitely a pet peeve for you though, agreed.

I think it might be covering up the wiring for the defrost in the slider or something maybe. Or just part of the defrost system for the whole rear window. Not sure.

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
No it won't, you hit the + button and it will only speed up one mile at a time. So if you're set at 55, speed up five miles, you either have to hit the + button five times, or hit the RES/CAN button, THEN the + button.

And that last line in my post is probably an Ace Ventura joke.
Hold the set button for about 2 seconds and it will take the new higher speed.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Hold the set button for about 2 seconds and it will take the new higher speed.
Or, if they're set at 55, they hold the + button and it'll automatically add 5. No need to hit set or press the + button 5 times :)
Sponsored