First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
2020 Lariat super crew FX4, black pack, tow pack & tech pack.

sLi6WmF.jpg
Sponsored

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
2023 Lariat 500A with tow package.
Never to exceed weight of occupants and cargo is 1426 pounds.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Wanted to add this due to some of the earlier comments and/or questions. This snap shot is directly from the 2023 Ford RV & Trailer Towing Guide.
20230509_170107.jpg

stufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 302a, Technology Pack, FX4
Wanted to add this due to some of the earlier comments and/or questions. This snap shot is directly from the 2023 Ford RV & Trailer Towing Guide.
20230509_170107.jpg
Thanks for posting this!

Important to note payload just includes "cargo and passengers." I've seen folks state that payload includes everything added to a completely empty truck (i.e. - fuel and driver eat into payload rating).

As noted earlier in the thread - directly from Ford.

Screenshots_2023-06-30-12-03-11.png

So payload is all cargo weight on top of:
- Truck with full tank of gas (wet weight of truck)
- A 150 lb driver

To me, this actually seems like a very reasonable way to measure payload capacity. Hopefully this clarifies some of the discussion earlier.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Thanks for posting this!

Important to note payload just includes "cargo and passengers." I've seen folks state that payload includes everything added to a completely empty truck (i.e. - fuel and driver eat into payload rating).

As noted earlier in the thread - directly from Ford.

So payload is all cargo weight on top of:
- Truck with full tank of gas (wet weight of truck)
- A 150 lb driver

To me, this actually seems like a very reasonable way to measure payload capacity. Hopefully this clarifies some of the discussion earlier.
This 150 lb driver thing is like a bad penny. The clip you posted applies only to the MAX TOWING CAPACITY calculation. It has nothing to do with Cargo or payload numbers. It is part of the standards for calculationing the 7,500 lbs MAX TOW RATING.

As the previous definitions said:
CURB weight is the truck as delivered from the factory including all necessary fluids and a full tank of gas. No passengers.
CARGO weight is the amount of added weight including any modifications that you have made that has increased its weight. This includes things like heavier tires and wheels, bumpers. Winches, as stated trailer tongue weight if towing including the weight of the hitch, and anything else you have loaded into the truck. It does not include the passengers. Not really an important number to worry about.
Now, PAYLOAD weight includes all CARGO weight plus the weight of ALL passengers. This number will be different for every truck built as it is the trucks factory CURB weight subtracted from the GVWR which is 6,050 lbs for our trucks, no matter what cab type or drive type. This makes this the most important number. Your loaded truck with all passengers should not exceed this number.

If you are towing the other important number is the GCVWR. This is the weight of everything, truck trailer and all passengers as loaded for the trip. This number does vary depending on cab type and drive type. It goes from a minimum of 12,150 lbs for a 4x2 SCAB to 12,500 lbs for a 4x4 SCREW. This is the other number you should not exceed.

Two other ratings to look at are the axle weight ratings, the load carried by each axle. No, putting on heavier springs does not change or increase these.

Sorry for the long post, but I see so many misconceptions about what the ratings mean or don't. And which ones are important and which ones are advertising numbers. I personally consider the 7,500 lb tow rating to be an advertising number. You will always see it preficed by MAX or Maximum. It is a max number if all the other important numbers fall in line. YES, your Ranger can tow a 7,500 lb trailer. Not so sure about a modded Ranger with a family of four and all their stuff in the bed.

Let the flaming begin.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Do any of you really believe that carrying or hauling 150, 200, 250 lbs more than the Ranger is rated for will matter ? Does anyone think that if you go over the magic ### posted on a sticker, that your Ranger will self terminate ???
I would put those ideas in the same category as believing the expiration date on stuff....do you really believe that if the date on a package says it expires on 7/1/23 it will be bad and unsafe on 7/2/23 ???
Sorry, but I do not weigh every item I put/carry/haul in my truck, nor do I weigh the camper every time I hook up and tow. I'm sure at times I have been right at the max, maybe a bit over....and you know what.....my Ranger didn't complain, didn't suddenly decide to stop, didn't break down....just kept on truckin along.

download (2).jpg

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
This entire thread is a lie (now).

Still waiting for my new sticker so I don't slightly overload my truck and roll over. I always weighted it before and after then referenced the door jam. Yep. Mulch can weight alot when it gets wet.......

stufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely agree that 100 - 200 lbs over or under the official rating is not going to matter in the real world.

For those curious, the footnote about driver & fuel weight was pulled from this table (which lists payload and towing):

Screenshot_20230630-213438~2.png

One would assume this applies to all values in the chart, given the location of the superscript...but what do I know lol.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Definitely agree that 100 - 200 lbs over or under the official rating is not going to matter in the real world.

For those curious, the footnote about driver & fuel weight was pulled from this table (which lists payload and towing):

Screenshot_20230630-213438~2.png

One would assume this applies to all values in the chart, given the location of the superscript...but what do I know lol.
Go by gawr, as balancing tongue weight and load in bed is just as important.

based on the axle ratings, my sticker does not include the driver.

We see errors all the time in the manual. I suspect this is one of those cases.

stufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go by gawr, as balancing tongue weight and load in bed is just as important.

based on the axle ratings, my sticker does not include the driver.

We see errors all the time in the manual. I suspect this is one of those cases.

Certainly possible it is an error. Of note, Ford states the same thing in 2021 F150 literature, specifically regarding payload ratings:

Screenshots_2023-07-01-12-59-44.png

I agee that axle rating is very important and easy to overlook. I suppose a truck scale is your best friend to determine actual loads in that department. Again, +/- 150 lbs is not significant enough to be cause for worry.

Not trying to spread any false information here, just sharing what I've understood payload rating to mean based on Ford publications.
Sponsored