Painting Ranger Raptor Grille

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I received my Raptor style grille and I am having trouble getting a nice finish on the paint. It keeps getting eggshell/bubbling. I'm sure I am doing something wrong. Has anyone painted their grille or the letters? If so, what prep did you do and what type of paint did you use? Did you use a primer or a paint/primer mix? My grille came in a flat black type of finish that was sprayed on... I can tell because the back is the natural white plastic.
Thanks for aany input.
Sponsored

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I received my Raptor style grille and I am having trouble getting a nice finish on the paint. It keeps getting eggshell/bubbling. I'm sure I am doing something wrong. Has anyone painted their grille or the letters? If so, what prep did you do and what type of paint did you use? Did you use a primer or a paint/primer mix? My grille came in a flat black type of finish that was sprayed on... I can tell because the back is the natural white plastic.
Thanks for aany input.
Did you use any sort of cleaner/solvent like this? https://www.duplicolor.com/product/grease-and-wax-removers/

I haven’t painted a Raptor grille but have used it on many other parts with good results. Proform also makes a good one that you can find at many auto parts stores.

OP
OP
Sunpilot

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I wiped down with acetone
That should do the same thing as the other cleaners. I have no idea what it could be then. Is there anything oily open near where you were painting or maybe a diesel engine or anything running near by? Simple things like that can definitely cause issues. Was the rag you used to wipe with acetone used with any other product before?

OP
OP
Sunpilot

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
That should do the same thing as the other cleaners. I have no idea what it could be then. Is there anything oily open near where you were painting or maybe a diesel engine or anything running near by? Simple things like that can definitely cause issues. Was the rag you used to wipe with acetone used with any other product before?
Everything was clean. I'll give it another try tomorrow. Thanks for the help

DBRanger

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4X4 2007 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
I've painted a few parts on mine, including the foam engine cover. The only thing I could add is to spray several very light coats with 24 hours dry time in between.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DBRanger is right on the thin coats, but I would take a look on the can that you are using, some paint says you can only apply within so many hours and then you have to wait. Some Krylon I was using last week said “recoat within 24 hours or after 7 days”.

You could also try some adhesion promoter first, not sure if it would help with the issues you’re having but I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt!

ToothRanger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
D.D.S.
Vehicle Showcase
@Sunpilot What type of paint have you been using?

I was going to use either a matte black or satin black Krylon that has primer and paint in one to protect the bare plastic. I'll let you know how it goes!

OP
OP
Sunpilot

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
@Sunpilot What type of paint have you been using?

I was going to use either a matte black or satin black Krylon that has primer and paint in one to protect the bare plastic. I'll let you know how it goes!
That's what I used, except I went for gloss black. I didn't get a satisfactory enough finish, so I'm debating sanding down and redoing the grille.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
That's what I used, except I went for gloss black. I didn't get a satisfactory enough finish, so I'm debating sanding down and redoing the grille.
It can be tough to get a nice finish with gloss rattle cans. If you have an automotive paint store in your area I suggest getting some SEM bumper or trim paint (or whatever they suggest).....that stuff usually spays very nice. I would do a base coat then use a clear with the hardener.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I hard a pain shop do mine ~4 months ago. It's been holding up nice; even against this blazing Arizona sun. But bubbling is usually from improper prep work. it should be sanded and cleaned.

WVmanowar

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not a truck
I used automotive paint, used the adhesion promoter before, had color matched paint, but had the same issues...with adhesion promoter and base paint.

I think the very light coat is the key or it will pool in the curves. It's hard to go slow because it begins to look good when the color starts looking good compared to the plasric.

Now, I've got texture in certain spots and most areas that are good. I want to sand after letting it cure, but am concerned that it'll take a lot to remove the texture and make to good part bad. First time painting and will have to do a better job of taking it slowly.
Sponsored