Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Hello all,

I saw maybe one or two painted engine covers spread throughout the forums but I wanted a thread to have the experience all in one.

What paint did you use?

What prep needs to be done before spraying the engine cover down?

How many miles and any cracking or heat issues?

Anyone know if I can get a somewhat similar blue anodized look on the engine cover? I saw the Dupli-color one, but that is for chrome/metal :/ I don't think it will show the same on plastic/foam.

Would appreciate y'all insight even if you haven't painted the engine covers.

Bonus question: Are the silicon hoses attached to the radiator hard to change out? Looking into mishimoto silicon hoses.

Warm regards,
Brandon
Sponsored

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
and you wonder why threads need to be started to keep all the info in one place.
you better part out the hose question and start another thread lest you continue to be part of the problem youre trying to solve
Hah, imo it's all styling things. Great point though, def see where you are coming from. I will consider it, when I searched, I did not see any one try the radiator silicon hoses yet, figure I throw a hook/bait out there for whoever did styling changes.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Here is mine. Has formed a large crack and a few smaller hairline cracks. The only two people who will see this are me and the oil change guy. Only one of those guys cares… and he isn’t repainting this indoors over the winter months.

I had the paint matched to Cactus Grey “NE”.
I can edit and post the primer, base, and clear info later.

861FA16B-F1B0-4F3D-8C2F-B53DB0A5A316.jpeg
F23B2BA8-394B-4753-8F21-32BF9B0AFA35.jpeg

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Here is mine. Has formed a large crack and a few smaller hairline cracks. The only two people who will see this are me and the oil change guy. Only one of those guys cares… and he isn’t repainting this indoors over the winter months.

I had the paint matched to Cactus Grey “NE”.
I can edit and post the primer, base, and clear info later.

861FA16B-F1B0-4F3D-8C2F-B53DB0A5A316.jpeg
F23B2BA8-394B-4753-8F21-32BF9B0AFA35.jpeg
Yes please on the edit later with primer, base and clear. I was trying to find this photo for a little bit, I knew I saw it sometime recently. I appreciate you posting it here!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
When I got mine a some months back I painted the Ford logo with enamel paint. Used a brush and carefully applied it. Looked really good when I was finished. Problem is paint doesn’t stick very well and flakes off. I wasn’t happy about that at all. So plan B came into being. Got on EBAY and found a Ford badge I could attach. Much better than painting IMO.

Fair warning, these don’t like paint!!!
C15019DD-3758-486A-B903-B4A689827460.jpeg

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
When I got mine a some months back I painted the Ford logo with enamel paint. Used a brush and carefully applied it. Looked really good when I was finished. Problem is paint doesn’t stick very well and flakes off. I wasn’t happy about that at all. So plan B came into being. Got on EBAY and found a Ford badge I could attach. Much better than painting IMO.

Fair warning, these don’t like paint!!!
C15019DD-3758-486A-B903-B4A689827460.jpeg
Okay, I really like what you did here with the Ford logo, by chance do you have a link to that? Hearing how paint reacts with the foam isn't ideal for me. Really don't want random pieces of paint everywhere. Thank you Rick for the suggestion! By the way, do you know by chance what those two nuts/screws are for on the engine cover? Is the only purpose to hold the engine cover? Maybe I will paint those anodized blue :O

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Okay, I really like what you did here with the Ford logo, by chance do you have a link to that? Hearing how paint reacts with the foam isn't ideal for me. Really don't want random pieces of paint everywhere. Thank you Rick for the suggestion! By the way, do you know by chance what those two nuts/screws are for on the engine cover? Is the only purpose to hold the engine cover? Maybe I will paint those anodized blue :O
I’ll have to measure it again but if memory serves me right it’s a 5” Ford logo badge. They’re everywhere. Now I used 2 small holes and used hot glue to attach it. Seems to be holding just fine with just that. Originally I was going to use retainer clips of the badges posts but it really wasn’t needed. That’s about it! Oh!!! This is throughly endorsed by our own Phil S. He did the same thing ?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I thought about that until I got mine...soft, flexible, squishy foam...paint over that? Naaa...:rolleyes:

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Brandon, I had my body shop guy paint the engine cover on the wife's previous Mustang. I wasn't about to take it on myself. It was still good 6 years later. For a good job you will need to clean the cover to get any oils removed, that's for sure. And, to keep it down on plastic a good adhesive promoter is recommended.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Brandon, I had my body shop guy paint the engine cover on the wife's previous Mustang. I wasn't about to take it on myself. It was still good 6 years later. For a good job you will need to clean the cover to get any oils removed, that's for sure. And, to keep it down on plastic a good adhesive promoter is recommended.
Thank you Jim for the tips and previous experience with it. Will look into a good adhesive promoter and clean it awfully well :) now hearing this, I think I need to do more research into different paint types that would work well like @janitorjim mentioned. Lots of good info here. Thank you guys ?

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Thank you Jim for the tips and previous experience with it. Will look into a good adhesive promoter and clean it awfully well :) now hearing this, I think I need to do more research into different paint types that would work well like @janitorjim mentioned. Lots of good info here. Thank you guys ?
@dondonbabyraptor Brandon, if you have the Advance Auto Store chain in your area they have actual Ford colors available in spray cans. They also have the adhesive promoter, both at reasonable prices. If they aren't in your area you can order online, and they will ship if that interests you.

Here's a link for your consideration. BTW, notice the discount code at the top of the screen.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web/SearchResults?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&searchTerm=dupli color spray paint&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4KPomaXI8wIV4kCRBR3k1g8TEAAYASAAEgK6e_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Sponsored