Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP / 2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Peace officer
Hi,

Besides 3M protection film, anyone has found a good solution against the rock thown by the front tires? The more agressive thread on these General grabbers and the wider stance of the Tremor definitely seems to be the problem here.

I got my Tremor brand new. I installed the Rokblokz XL flaps the first day, but there is still that area on the lower part of the front doors where a lot of rocks are being thrown at. They fly under the flaps and right above the side steps. So I noticed a lot of paint chips on that area after just around 2000km, and i decided to pay for a 3M protection film that covers the bottom of front and rear doors. Now im only at 5700km and the film is perforated at many places. At this rate, it wont be long before there is no film left to protect the paint. I live in Quebec Canada, where they put a lot of a salt on roads during the winter and fear rust could appear really soon.

If ever someone has found a better solution than 3M, i'm all ears. I've seen that a line-x style protection can be applied, but not sure i would like the look of it.
Sponsored

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I have those clear 3m sheets I still need to put there. Mine is right behind the front doors, tons of chips. You're saying that doesn't even work? Something like plasti-dip would protect but that's a bit extreme. The paint on these trucks is so thin.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Hi,

Besides 3M protection film, anyone has found a good solution against the rock thown by the front tires? The more agressive thread on these General grabbers and the wider stance of the Tremor definitely seems to be the problem here.

I got my Tremor brand new. I installed the Rokblokz XL flaps the first day, but there is still that area on the lower part of the front doors where a lot of rocks are being thrown at. They fly under the flaps and right above the side steps. So I noticed a lot of paint chips on that area after just around 2000km, and i decided to pay for a 3M protection film that covers the bottom of front and rear doors. Now im only at 5700km and the film is perforated at many places. At this rate, it wont be long before there is no film left to protect the paint. I live in Quebec Canada, where they put a lot of a salt on roads during the winter and fear rust could appear really soon.

If ever someone has found a better solution than 3M, i'm all ears. I've seen that a line-x style protection can be applied, but not sure i would like the look of it.
I am eventually going to do line-x on mine. They can color match it so it isn't very noticeable. I put mud flaps on mine right away, but living in a gravel road doesn't help.

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
I get the exact same thing on my truck but only the passenger side door just below the first crease. I'll probably have color matched line-x done or the textured Xpel sheets custom cut as it would just match the door sill / rocker panel guards.

OP
OP
Simon Says

Simon Says

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP / 2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Peace officer
I have those clear 3m sheets I still need to put there. Mine is right behind the front doors, tons of chips. You're saying that doesn't even work? Something like plasti-dip would protect but that's a bit extreme. The paint on these trucks is so thin.
It worked for a few hundred miles...

i thought it would give me a good protection, that considering the angle the rocks hit the film it would not perforate it, but no. I am very disappointed. I am sure some rocks didnt go through the film but i guess some are too big or hit too fast.

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
I may also do the Air Design door rocker guards. I just wish they didn't protrude as much as they do. Great....now you got me thinking about spending more money.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It worked for a few hundred miles...

i thought it would give me a good protection, that considering the angle the rocks hit the film it would not perforate it, but no. I am very disappointed. I am sure some rocks didnt go through the film but i guess some are too big or hit too fast.
I have some plastidip from dipyourcar. They make a clear but it's matte. If there is something like that but not matte though, it could work as a clear protector. Pain to apply though.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/products/matte-clear-aerosol?variant=5631654340

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Rock sliders along with factory mud flaps keep my body mostly rock and mud free

The underside of the sliders take most of it (mine are flat out with full diamond plate on top)

I also have more aggressive tires and wheel spacers so having the MF and RS help

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old thread but anyway I called Line-X. $900 for a black stripe along the lower front doors and rear rockers. They will color match for my paint code for an extra $400. They do this stuff all the time. Looks like this:
View attachment 161283

I decided not to do the 3M because there are some horror stories of it peeling off the paint when you remove it. If it's not going to last like OP says I don't want to be ripping off my paint when I remove it. Like this:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81L60tfvmHL.jpg
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61SFW9dGU2L.jpg
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61JIsRxwJkL.jpg

Another option is the hyperdip. They do not make a clear that adheres to OEM paint, so have to pick an off-color blue if I don't want a black stripe. Not a great option either. Although my hyperdip on my lower grill has been holding up well. Although...it would be pretty cool to do the whole truck in Supermarine Blue.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Old thread but anyway I called Line-X. $900 for a black stripe along the lower front doors and rear rockers. They will color match for my paint code for an extra $400. They do this stuff all the time. Looks like this:
View attachment 161283

I decided not to do the 3M because there are some horror stories of it peeling off the paint when you remove it. If it's not going to last like OP says I don't want to be ripping off my paint when I remove it. Like this:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81L60tfvmHL.jpg
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61SFW9dGU2L.jpg
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61JIsRxwJkL.jpg

Another option is the hyperdip. They do not make a clear that adheres to OEM paint, so have to pick an off-color blue if I don't want a black stripe. Not a great option either. Although my hyperdip on my lower grill has been holding up well. Although...it would be pretty cool to do the whole truck in Supermarine Blue.
OMG!! THAT LOOKS LIKE THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD. They made it look like a chevy!

Id get my money back. Or just go with the black trim
Sponsored