P0496 EVAP System High Purge Flow

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t get on here much any more, but just thought I better stop by and give an update.

After the light came on the second time I made an appointment about a week away. The weekend before the appointment I had the truck out and the light went out, so I cancelled the appointment. A week after that it came back on and was able to make an appointment the next day. After the tech investigated further he discovered the problem was the fuel tank pressure sensor... sort of. It wasn’t the truck’s fault, the tube/port that reads atmospheric pressure was plugged/clogged with undercoating. They weren’t able to clean it so it was replaced and all is well again.

I talked to a few people and found out it’s a common problem with Escapes and the Ranger uses a similar fuel tank pressure sensor system. They said they can usually be cleaned when plugged but the best way to prevent it is to tell whoever is spraying your truck to avoid the area or be very conservative with the product on the top of the fuel tank.
What type of under coating do you have? Just had my engine light come on this weekend with the same code. My truck was treated with Krown in the fall.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
What type of under coating do you have? Just had my engine light come on this weekend with the same code. My truck was treated with Krown in the fall.
Mine is also Krown, done in October 2019 & 2020. Sounds like the same issue!

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is also Krown, done in October 2019 & 2020. Sounds like the same issue!
I'd bet it is the exact same issue. Have to call to make an appointment today. Did they end up charging you for the work since it wasn't really a problem with the truck itself?

OP
OP
FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I'd bet it is the exact same issue. Have to call to make an appointment today. Did they end up charging you for the work since it wasn't really a problem with the truck itself?
No they didn’t, the dealership looked after it.

dillback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Exact same problem, and I've had my truck oil sprayed the past 2 years also. Is the repair covered by the basic warranty that comes with the truck? I never got any other/extended warrantys

OP
OP
FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exact same problem, and I've had my truck oil sprayed the past 2 years also. Is the repair covered by the basic warranty that comes with the truck? I never got any other/extended warrantys
I think it likely depends on the dealer and your relationship with them. I just have the basic warranty and they covered it but if it happens again it's on me.

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Wanted to follow up with my experience on this issue as it seems to have been resolved. It has been almost 3 weeks without the C.E.L. returning.

Here is the timeline of what all was done to my truck:
6/2/21- PCM recalibrated.
6/5/21- C.E.L. returns.
6/15/21- Further diagnostics by dealer, evap purge valve ordered.
6/28/21- Purge valve installed.
7/2/21- C.E.L. returns.
7/12/21- Further diagnostics by dealer, gas tank pressure sensor ordered.
7/30/21- Pressure sensor installed.

As of today 8/18/21 no further issues.

Would have been nice to start with that pressure sensor but they wanted to go through the whole procedure Ford gave them. Oh well, I'm just glad I can put my tune back on after two and a half months.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I has similar issues with our 2009 Escape @ about 75,000 miles. I feel mine was partially caused by overfilling the capless system. IIRC $50 worth of parts fixed it. On these I stop pumping when the pump shuts off the first time now.