Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
I wanted to share some initial images of my project Ranger, and share details of it. Hopefully this thread can serve as a home for discussion and suggestions, separate from our coverage of the vehicle.

Base vehicle: 2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4

Suspension: Icon Stage 2 w/billet upper control arms

Wheels: Fifteen52 Traverse HD 17x8.5 0 offset

Tires: 34x10.5-17 BFG K02s (fifth fits in stock location on factory spare rim)

Camper: Go Fast Campers

I'm also planning bumpers, sliders, lights, and a winch. I'll detail my solar/fridge/battery setup in another post in this thread. It gives me the ability have a large fridge/freezer running constantly, without cutting up the trucks' wiring harness, or relying on it for power at all.

The general idea here is to create the ultimate practical adventure vehicle. I wanted to start with a vehicle that balanced off-road capability with on-road manners, then take that capability to the next level without sacrificing either those manners, or its day to day practicality as a truck. I'm not an overlander who wants to build a truck just for car camping, I'm someone who needs a truck that can support a diverse array of outdoor activities and video shoots, and also just mundane tasks like hauling a thousand pounds of mulch home from Lowe's.

What say you so far?
Sponsored

Peas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up and an awesome build. I’ll be following this as it rounds into form. I have similarly varying needs for my truck.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I’m absolutely in. Your ideas mirror my own; I look forward to seeing what y’all come up with.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
So the a 34" spare on a factory rim fits under the bed, but can you use it with the factory back spacing?

OP
OP
Wes Siler

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
So the a 34" spare on a factory rim fits under the bed, but can you use it with the factory back spacing?
Probably just needs to go on the back is all. Plan to mount a rear bumper with swingout in the near future, that'll carry a matching wheel/tire. Not bad about the ability to carry two spares on big trips though.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to share some initial images of my project Ranger, and share details of it. Hopefully this thread can serve as a home for discussion and suggestions, separate from our coverage of the vehicle.

Base vehicle: 2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4

Suspension: Icon Stage 2 w/billet upper control arms

Wheels: Fifteen52 Traverse HD 17x8.5 0 offset

Tires: 34x10.5-17 BFG K02s (fifth fits in stock location on factory spare rim)

Camper: Go Fast Campers

I'm also planning bumpers, sliders, lights, and a winch. I'll detail my solar/fridge/battery setup in another post in this thread. It gives me the ability have a large fridge/freezer running constantly, without cutting up the trucks' wiring harness, or relying on it for power at all.

The general idea here is to create the ultimate practical adventure vehicle. I wanted to start with a vehicle that balanced off-road capability with on-road manners, then take that capability to the next level without sacrificing either those manners, or its day to day practicality as a truck. I'm not an overlander who wants to build a truck just for car camping, I'm someone who needs a truck that can support a diverse array of outdoor activities and video shoots, and also just mundane tasks like hauling a thousand pounds of mulch home from Lowe's.

What say you so far?
I want that GFC topper...but it's a year wait:frown:

OP
OP
Wes Siler

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
I want that GFC topper...but it's a year wait:frown:
Yeah, they're making moves to fix that wait list as we speak. And the production Ranger camper will sit two inches lower than the prototype you see on mine.

oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Excited to see how your build progresses. Like @Hack_Actual said, your goals and expectations for your Ranger mirrors exactly what I'm hoping for.

Sidenote, came across your Indefinitely Wild blog a years ago when I was building out my '15 Subaru Outback to support my outdoor adventures. Loved the Outback but eventually replaced it with the Ranger when I needed more off-road and towing ability. I enjoy your perspective and content and your Outside review of the Ranger is probably the best I've seen so far. Keep doing what you're doing!

OP
OP
Wes Siler

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
Excited to see how your build progresses. Like @Hack_Actual said, your goals and expectations for your Ranger mirrors exactly what I'm hoping for.

Sidenote, came across your Indefinitely Wild blog a years ago when I was building out my '15 Subaru Outback to support my outdoor adventures. Loved the Outback but eventually replaced it with the Ranger when I needed more off-road and towing ability. I enjoy your perspective and content and your Outside review of the Ranger is probably the best I've seen so far. Keep doing what you're doing!
Thanks for reading Pablo!

OP
OP
Wes Siler

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Wes Siler, I’ve followed your build since you first posted here, read your articles, and now watched your video.

Excellent work so far.

What, though, is with the massive gap between the roof and the topper? That’s got to create some wind noise at highway speeds.

OP
OP
Wes Siler

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
@Wes Siler, I’ve followed your build since you first posted here, read your articles, and now watched your video.

Excellent work so far.

What, though, is with the massive gap between the roof and the topper? That’s got to create some wind noise at highway speeds.
There's about two more inches of height between cab top and tent bottom than there should be. Mine was the first unit GFC made for the Ranger and there was a small error. It'll be corrected for production units. Honestly, I'm not mad at it either. Wind noise is there if you listen for it, but by no means intrusive. The awning we put on last night creates way more noise, and even that's not bad. Plus, I'm 6'2", and the extra height in the shell means I don't bump my head on the open panels or have to duck to stand under the awning. And that gap isn't really noticeable in person.
Sponsored