First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
Had the truck for a week with less than 1k kms and my neighbor dropped a scaffolding panel he was loading into his truck on to the hood. :eek:
Normally I'd freak but I managed to take it in stride. (It's a truck!) I do plan to sell it in next few years though so I want to keep it close to factory condition.

But now we have to repair the thing. Aluminum hood and white platinum paint doesn't make it any easier.

I also thought they should just be able to pull the dent out no problem but apparently aluminum doesn't have the memory and even though there is no crease I guess they can't avoid drilling.

And as you can see there is a very small hairline crack in paint. They say they need to paint hood and blend fenders to match factory, though the existing paint is factory perfect, I would almost think they should be able to get factory paint code for VIN and just spray the immediate area.

Body shop says $1,500 (CAD). Which insurance company will pay under comprehensive, but will go after our neighbor. I'd really hate the guy to be $1,500 out of pocket for a minor random f'up. And it seems like such a waste of time and money for something so small!

Does anyone think it would be worth looking at PDR for given paint crack and AL hood? Or even try to deal with DIY? Small town and we don't have PDR people here, I'd have to drive a few hours to get to a place that could take a proper look.

DSCF9309-2.jpg
Sponsored

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
Yikes! A good PDR person would have their hands full even on a steel panel with that damage. They could make it a lot better though. Give it a shot.

OP
OP
BCRanger

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software
Yikes! A good PDR person would have their hands full even on a steel panel with that damage. They could make it a lot better though. Give it a shot.
It doesn't have to be showroom perfect, just good enough that someone buying it wouldn't be put off by it. But just talking to my wife and she pointed out again the issue that there is a sandwhich panel so it would be really difficult / impossible to get behind it.

Ol Bromy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Had the truck for a week with less than 1k kms and my neighbor dropped a scaffolding panel he was loading into his truck on to the hood. :eek:
Normally I'd freak but I managed to take it in stride. (It's a truck!) I do plan to sell it in next few years though so I want to keep it close to factory condition.

But now we have to repair the thing. Aluminum hood and white platinum paint doesn't make it any easier.

I also thought they should just be able to pull the dent out no problem but apparently aluminum doesn't have the memory and even though there is no crease I guess they can't avoid drilling.

And as you can see there is a very small hairline crack in paint. They say they need to paint hood and blend fenders to match factory, though the existing paint is factory perfect, I would almost think they should be able to get factory paint code for VIN and just spray the immediate area.

Body shop says $1,500 (CAD). Which insurance company will pay under comprehensive, but will go after our neighbor. I'd really hate the guy to be $1,500 out of pocket for a minor random f'up. And it seems like such a waste of time and money for something so small!

Does anyone think it would be worth looking at PDR for given paint crack and AL hood? Or even try to deal with DIY? Small town and we don't have PDR people here, I'd have to drive a few hours to get to a place that could take a proper look.

DSCF9309-2.jpg
Wow...that sucks! My aluminum fender was hit by a patio umbrella that the wind carried off of my neighbors patio. My truck only had 800 miles on it when it happened. I asked around about the paintless dent repair, but everyone said that the aluminum was a heavier gage and it wouldn’t work well. Don’t know if you have Caliber Collision around you, but they matched my Magnetic paint beautifully.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Miles, I think I would search the salvage yards for a hood, and have it painted. Never know, it may be cheaper. That's a tough place to repair which ever way you go. Good luck.

BTW, you're right. A good paint shop should be able to get the paint code, and not have to go into the fender to blend the paint. It's new paint, and surely hasn't faded one bit.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Miles, I think I would search the salvage yards for a hood, and have it painted. Never know, it may be cheaper. That's a tough place to repair which ever way you go. Good luck.

BTW, you're right. A good paint shop should be able to get the paint code, and not have to go into the fender to blend the paint. It's new paint, and surely hasn't faded one bit.
Good thought. I see two undamaged hoods on car-part.com right now, both listed for $625. Crating/shipping plus full paint and install is probably more expensive than repairing the original. If you could find one close to home, though, it might be an attractive option. Our Rangers just aren’t old enough to have a lot of salvage parts available yet.

OP
OP
BCRanger

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software
I would DIY it if confident, even if it doesn't turn out so great. After that get a hood deflector, should be a nice band-aid over the wound:lipssealed: nobody would know but you
That's an interesting idea, I hadn't thought about that.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
BCRanger

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software
Good thought. I see two undamaged hoods on car-part.com right now, both listed for $625. Crating/shipping plus full paint and install is probably more expensive than repairing the original. If you could find one close to home, though, it might be an attractive option. Our Rangers just aren’t old enough to have a lot of salvage parts available yet.
Yeah, and I'm in middle of nowhere Canada so it makes it even less of an option.

Reactions: Doc

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
OP
OP
BCRanger

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software
How much would ordering a new hood be? $1500 CAD sounds alot for repairing your dent. Also agree with checking junkyards.
It's not the dent that makes it $$ it's the fact they want to repaint which means blending matching, dealing with tricoat, etc..

OP
OP
BCRanger

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software
you're in gods country.....
i vote with post #6...hood deflector, then sit back and enjoy life.....its only paint and metal.
drink beers with your neighbor and talk about it again when you go to sell the truck.
I love your way of thinking and love that picture too.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
The reason I asked about ordering a new hood from Ford is because I thought it would already be painted by Ford to match your truck. So no blend matching, tricoat needed.
Sponsored