So I went to our Honda Dealer today.......

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
I am a fan of Honda but I'm not so sure about unibody trucks.
As well you should be concerned. They AREN'T TRUCKS. U will be far better served by any new midsized TRUCK. Esp the new Ranger as most here would agree! As good test drive an inspection of the well designed & superbly built Ranger will satisfy ur concerns on what a new, modern, high tech truck should be. Better to be over qualified for tasks I say then under qualified. Cant believe ppl actually entertain idea of a Ridgeline for even lite truck duties . Smh
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Even the Ranger drops to 5000lbs without the towing package.
I don't believe that is a true statement. Do you have something that shows this? Everything I've seen says the towing package just adds the hitch and light connector. There is no other changes for the towing package that I'm aware of.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't believe that is a true statement. Do you have something that shows this? Everything I've seen says the towing package just adds the hitch and light connector. There is no other changes for the towing package that I'm aware of.
Yea, hard to believe but its still a "real truck" unlike the Ridgeline. Worst topic btw...I've yet seen on this great Ranger fan page.

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't watch this if ya pd me. Sorry, it's not a fair comparison or even relevant really in my engineering mind! They sell very low amounts of Ridgelines an mainly to former accord owners I imagine. Lol Honda known for economy cars both compact & midsize. They have more upscale Acura brand thats struggling tho seem like nice cars. They had a thing back in day when Isuzu built them SUVs otherwise nada, zip, zero. As long time satisfied Ford truck owner ..this being my 1st Ranger truck. I'm loving this rig! 9mos 9k mis trouble free an runs better as mis accrue . I get a ton of compliments @ gas stations an such. I will buy the next gen '22 Ranger but def not parting w/my '19 XLT FX4. Near / at 100k sales totals for 2019.. considering dealers had just gotten decent stock end 2/19. Can only grow from here. Legendary reputation.. & great job so far by FoMoCo..i can see sales in 250k+ range easily in next couple yrs esp how aggressive Ford trucks division entered market w/ smartly REVAMPED & REVISED NA -spec '19 truck. Reviews were stellar an it beat competition hands dwn.

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
I was really enthralled with the under bed storage and flat rear passenger seating fold flat open floor and they all get LEATHER along with a full size tire and wheel. I really miss that storage since I came from a full size 4 door Avalanche.

Last edited:

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Ridgeline is way more comfortable than the Ranger. Smooth and quiet. No fake engine noise.
. My wife is a musician and carries a lot of gear. I can't have a car(unless I bought a sports car) as she needs the truck when the Honda is out of commission (which has not happened yet)) That's pretty much why I bought the Vettes and Miata......So I would still have a backup vehicle for her. I could not have one as an only second vehicle.

Plus I don't like having a sedan. Not for me. . I prefer to ride higher. Most people seem to pass on the Ridgeline because f the way it looks. I get that. I like a good looking vehicle but looks are subjective and I don't like making changes based on subjective reasoning, IIMO Tacoma is a better-looking truck than the Ranger ...But the ranger had better options and equipment. Whereas the ridgeline had a much better ride. And it's a whole lot quieter inside.

If they would have asked for 5k and my Ranger, I would have done the deal.
Some of the Ranger's many attributes & advantages over the competition besides its unbeatable, high- tech, superb performing Gen2 - 2.3L EcoBoost/10spd auto powertrain has been its quietness, comfort & smooth, plush ride quality. This not only my opinion but that of many dozens of professional reviews & consumer ratings firms such as JD Power etc among others. Things like "the looks" of truck is entirely subjective along w/ few other things mentioned. Do you own a new '19 or '20 Ranger truck? I have a '19 XLT FX4 crew cab, loaded out. Owned nearly 9mos / 9mis . Have done 3 oil changes (using SN+ rated Pennzoil Platinum 5w30.. along w/ Motorcraft filters exclusively). Run only Premium 93 fuel.. to get full 300hp from the powertrain!

ShadowKeeper

First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Just don’t buy the 2017-2018 CRVs and possibly newer models, I haven’t verified them. Gasoline leaking into the oil, cylinders misfiring. Dash lights all lighting up, car locking up at 70 mph on the highway and they can’t fix it. Seems worst in cold weather from my research as well. But Honda’s been trying to fix it half heartily since 2017 and as of 2020 they still unable to do better than a reset on multiple systems computers. My 2nd to last visit they wanted to charge me $1,100 for a stability computer that another dealer simply reset. They also refusing to recall them in the USA but recalled 350 million in Asia.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I was really enthralled with the under bed storage and flat rear passenger seating fold flat open floor and they all get LEATHER along with a full size tire and wheel. I really miss that storage since I came from a full size 4 door Avalanche.
If GM built a Colorado-sized version of the Avalanche, I might be tempted to trade...

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just don’t buy the 2017-2018 CRVs and possibly newer models, I haven’t verified them. Gasoline leaking into the oil, cylinders misfiring. Dash lights all lighting up, car locking up at 70 mph on the highway and they can’t fix it. Seems worst in cold weather from my research as well. But Honda’s been trying to fix it half heartily since 2017 and as of 2020 they still unable to do better than a reset on multiple systems computers. My 2nd to last visit they wanted to charge me $1,100 for a stability computer that another dealer simply reset. They also refusing to recall them in the USA but recalled 350 million in Asia.
That's strange because we leased 14 /17 and now a 20 19. I never had any problems with any of them. That's why I keep leasing the crv. Bed dealers are everywhere. I don't have any issues with the Honda dealership here. they've always taken care of us. As far as the ridgeline goes, it's a little bit more suited to my lifestyle but I'm not going to give the ranger way to get one. Don't get me wrong it's not that I dislike the ranger it's that the ridgeline is probably a better fit for our lifestyle. I try not to have a closed mind about any vehicle until I've actually driven it. Looks don't attract me. That's too subjective.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Yes, it would be the owner's manual. Taken from page 217:

Towing CapacitiesIf your vehicle has a light duty trailer hitch, the maximum towing capacity is 3,500 lb (1,588 kg).If your vehicle has a heavy duty trailer hitch, use the chart that follows to find your towing capacity

Seems i was actually wrong and the rating is much lower. I know the truck CAN tow the same with or without the hitch/connector, but that little bumper ball physically cannot hold that much weight (safely) in a dynamic load situation.

ShadowKeeper

First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it would be the owner's manual. Taken from page 217:

Towing CapacitiesIf your vehicle has a light duty trailer hitch, the maximum towing capacity is 3,500 lb (1,588 kg).If your vehicle has a heavy duty trailer hitch, use the chart that follows to find your towing capacity

Seems i was actually wrong and the rating is much lower. I know the truck CAN tow the same with or without the hitch/connector, but that little bumper ball physically cannot hold that much weight (safely) in a dynamic load situation.
That is just the hitch. You can install an aftermarket hitch and still get the 7500 towing capacity (with a brake controller). It has nothing to do with the truck. The tow package just gives you the heavy duty hitch and wiring connector. Many people have installed aftermarket units and have the 7500 towing capacity. It drops if you don't have a hitch installed that will handle it. The truck will handle it, you just need the proper hitch.

Maybe we are saying the same thing - I'm not quite sure. But there is nothing special about the towing package (no oil cooler or other add ons) that you can't add aftermarket to get the full towing capacity of the truck. The truck (with a proper hitch setup) is rated to tow 7500 pounds.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just don’t buy the 2017-2018 CRVs and possibly newer models, I haven’t verified them. Gasoline leaking into the oil, cylinders misfiring. Dash lights all lighting up, car locking up at 70 mph on the highway and they can’t fix it. Seems worst in cold weather from my research as well. But Honda’s been trying to fix it half heartily since 2017 and as of 2020 they still unable to do better than a reset on multiple systems computers. My 2nd to last visit they wanted to charge me $1,100 for a stability computer that another dealer simply reset. They also refusing to recall them in the USA but recalled 350 million in Asia. 100% true! 1.5L TGDI motor. Was bad impression of Fords 1.5L EcoBoost design. Straight ripoff in fact many said! We began hearing rumblings in the auto industry just 6mos after motor was released. In some of there best selling vehicles it was sold. Im privy to plenty info within industry and heard nothing but terrible things bout that design. From get -go was burning oil before break- in process was even complete. Many still believe going easy 1st 1000mis contributes to motor longevity & performance. Some do not think its necessary anymore. I say.. error on safe side. After 1k mis my '19 Ranger got its 1st oil change! SN+ rated Pennzoil Uktra Platinum 5w30 an Motorcraft filter plus a magnetic oil drain plug. Those work folks!
Reasons the Ridgeline is not a pickup truck:
  • Unibody construction doesn't allow for flex on uneven surfaces.
  • Front wheel drive.
  • Absolutely no low-range gearing to speak of.
  • AWD is not the same thing as 4WD.
  • Last but certainly not least, the "spare tire" is not a full spare but a donut and requires you to empty the bed of materials in order to access it.
I 2nd that hard pass! I'm gonna leave this alone now. Ive commented plenty on this topic already an conveyed my pt pretty clearly. Im wasting too much time an effort focusing on a truly unworthy vehicle.

Hard pass. ?
Sponsored