First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
So I have been adding mods since leasing my Magnetic 2020 XLT like Eibach level, Raptor Grill, color match painted the tailgate emblem and bezel, and a Flowmaster 40 series exhaust. I also recently ordered raptor wheels and getting tires too. I planned to purchase at the end of the lease. I could not afford loan payments and the lease payments are almost $150 less a month. Not the point though.

(This is two days after getting it).

There are two things I wish I had in the truck. First, LED headlights, I have drop-in LED bulbs for now and will probably get the Morimoto headlights when released, so problem solved. Second, I miss the push to start I had in my challenger but I can live with the key start. There where no Lariats available within 500 miles when I got the truck.

The one regret is that it is 2wd. I did not think it would matter as I did not plan to do serious off roading. However, now I want to do some more serious off roading. (I blame you all for this, the off roading pictures mainly).

I think I have a few options, (1) purchase the truck at the end of the lease and add 4wd to this truck or (2) return to stock and trade in early or wait until the end of the lease, return to stock and get a new Ranger with all the things I want.

FYI: I have kept all of the stock parts I have replaced and will continue keep them.

What do you all think? I would love your opinions but let’s avoid the “you should have done’s”... I beaten myself about them enough already. Also, if you any information on adding 4wd such as a parts list and potential cost.
So you bought a truck you really couldn’t afford, even though it really wasn’t the one you wanted, you have spent $1,000’s of dollars on a LEASED vehicle haha. Are you 20 years old!! Jesus. Add 4wd! Seriously? Tell me this was a joke post. And no, I’m not reading through this dumb ass thread.
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Assuming this is a truthful thread...

Leasing a vehicle, without a business to write it off (lower the cost—slightly), is one of the most expensive ways to "buy" a vehicle! Fact is, ask yourself why automobile dealers ALWAYS mention leasing? Follow the money! In my mind, it isn't any different than etched windows, door guards, or splash guards—they cost of few buck to add to the vehicle, for which you're charged about 20 times more than they cost!

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
July 14, 2020 is the original lease day. So at a 36 month lease July 2023 is the end date. I don’t really want to wait but it looks like that is going to have to happen. Maybe Ford will offer an early turn in option before the end. ? Dodge did this a few year ago.
I guess it will have to be light off roading for a few years. Hopefully Ford does not change the wheel bot pattern on the 6g so I can keep the Raptor wheels. Everything else I am not worried about keeping.
You can purchase the truck at any point during the lease. The money you're spending trying to make it something it is not doesn't make much sense to me. Used vehicle values are up right now. You'd be better off buying it then trading it on a 4x4. Even if you bought a cheaper truck without bells and whistles, you can add things like heated seats and remote start for a lot less than trying to change the drive line.

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
FWIW, you may be able to do a buyout return if your bank offers it. It works just like the end of a lease, you pay the buyout price and return the vehicle to the dealer. It doe not affect your credit, it just accelerates the completion of the contract.

I have the option to do it on my Tacoma through Ally right now. I can ride out the next 9 months as usual or give them a check for a little over $1300 today and say goodbye. I am lightly considering it as I plan to buy the next truck so moving into something that builds a little equity vs. none is attractive. My only issue now is that I just don't know what I want yet.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I agree with the others. Converting your 2wd to a 4wd will put you in the poor house. I'm not familiar with leasing, but you will come out a lot cheaper (and with a warranty) if you can trade for the 4wd. Good luck, I think many of us here have been in a similar situation.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
The only 4wd I would put on that thing is a sticker. Ride the lease out and then buy the new 6g ranger when it comes out, or get a killer deal on the 5g. Just my opinion

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
So I have been adding mods since leasing my Magnetic 2020 XLT like Eibach level, Raptor Grill, color match painted the tailgate emblem and bezel, and a Flowmaster 40 series exhaust. I also recently ordered raptor wheels and getting tires too. I planned to purchase at the end of the lease. I could not afford loan payments and the lease payments are almost $150 less a month. Not the point though.

(This is two days after getting it).

There are two things I wish I had in the truck. First, LED headlights, I have drop-in LED bulbs for now and will probably get the Morimoto headlights when released, so problem solved. Second, I miss the push to start I had in my challenger but I can live with the key start. There where no Lariats available within 500 miles when I got the truck.

The one regret is that it is 2wd. I did not think it would matter as I did not plan to do serious off roading. However, now I want to do some more serious off roading. (I blame you all for this, the off roading pictures mainly).

I think I have a few options, (1) purchase the truck at the end of the lease and add 4wd to this truck or (2) return to stock and trade in early or wait until the end of the lease, return to stock and get a new Ranger with all the things I want.

FYI: I have kept all of the stock parts I have replaced and will continue keep them.

What do you all think? I would love your opinions but let’s avoid the “you should have done’s”... I beaten myself about them enough already. Also, if you any information on adding 4wd such as a parts list and potential cost.
:facepalm::headbang:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm so confused about leasing to save a little bit of money but at the same time spending thousands on mods.
If you read his original OP he states he was planning on purchasing his Ranger after the lease was up. So maybe there were circumstances that allowed him to have more money later on like paying off bills or waiting for an investment to mature?

I know many who do this because it's a cheaper way to get into a new vehicle then purchase it by the time the lease is up. Some don't have a large down payment and this gives them time to save more money. Now it's not the best thing to do financially but for some it's their only choice.

I planned to purchase at the end of the lease. I could not afford loan payments and the lease payments are almost $150 less a month. Not the point though.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
If you read his original OP he states he was planning on purchasing his Ranger after the lease was up. So maybe there were circumstances that allowed him to have more money later on like paying off bills or waiting for an investment to mature?

I know many who do this because it's a cheaper way to get into a new vehicle then purchase it by the time the lease is up. Some don't have a large down payment and this gives them time to save more money. Now it's not the best thing to do financially but for some it's their only choice.
Only choice? I do not agree with the only part. Buy a used vehicle, pay it off, use it as trade for new vehicle. Plus saving $$ in the mean time.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Only choice? I do not agree with the only part. Buy a used vehicle, pay it off, use it as trade for new vehicle. Plus saving $$ in the mean time.
I respectfully disagree. With a used vehicle you have no idea how it was taken care of and if regular maintenance was ever done. It could have more problems that'll end up costing you way more money in the long run. Just look at the used market now, especially trucks, it's almost cheaper to buy/lease new than it it used. Heck some here received MORE for their Rangers than they payed for them through Carvana.

With a lease you're getting the full warranty and besides routine maintenance you don't have to worry about anything major because it's covered. Plus they now have a dependable vehicle without the worries of it breaking down going to work or on vacation. Sure a new vehicle can/will have problems but you're rolling the dice with a used one. I would 100% lease before buying used unless of course you know the person you're buying it from and the history of that vehicle. :)

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
1 - ALways keep your OEM parts. Which you've done.
2 - Trade in when the time comes & get what you want.
3 - No idea how to make into 4x4 but all I see is pain, confusion & lots of wasted $$$.
I've only encountered this situation once. When I bought my first motorbike. 2 yrs later
I traded it for my 1980 CB750F, which I still own.
NnnnnAAaaah, I say go for it! I'd love to know excatly how much time, money and sanity the College Professor expends making a 2WD Ranger a 4x4. As long as we get daily progress updates and pictures. it would certainly make for interesting reading!
:computerrage:

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I respectfully disagree. With a used vehicle you have no idea how it was taken care of and if regular maintenance was ever done. It could have more problems that'll end up costing you way more money in the long run. Just look at the used market now, especially trucks, it's almost cheaper to buy/lease new than it it used. Heck some here received MORE for their Rangers than they payed for them through Carvana.

With a lease you're getting the full warranty and besides routine maintenance you don't have to worry about anything major because it's covered. Plus they now have a dependable vehicle without the worries of it breaking down going to work or on vacation. Sure a new vehicle can/will have problems but you're rolling the dice with a used one. I would 100% lease before buying used unless of course you know the person you're buying it from and the history of that vehicle. :)
Yes you absolutely do know. Car fax. Records all service events. Do not buy a car that was not maintained. Easy peasy when looking for a used vehicle.

A lease? Add up the monthly payments and throw that out a window. Plus likely have to give dealer more money when returned. There isn't a bigger waste of money out there.

Or actually have something of value for down paymeny when you purchase a new
Vehicle.

Dealers make a killing on leases. They sell a vehicle twice.

Renting a car us not fiscally responsible unless you have a business. Anyone else is wasting money.
Sponsored