First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2wd
Occupation
Retired
Sorry if Im doing this wrong this is my first time using forums.
Since a catch can is really just an oil separator, and the 2.3L has a built in oil separator under the intake manifold. Do you still need a catch can. The one built into the 2.3L Ranger engine doesn't need emptying. It drains the separated oil back into the oil pan. See the attachment.

What do you think.

Oil Separator FordParts.jpeg
Sponsored

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I agree with your analysis. I'm leaving it the way it is and changing my oil on a regular basis with a quality synthetic oil.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Since a catch can is really just an oil separator, and the 2.3L has a built in oil separator under the intake manifold. Do you still need a catch can. The one built into the 2.3L Ranger engine doesn't need emptying. It drains the separated oil back into the oil pan. See the attachment.

What do you think.

Opinions vary all over the map on this. I agree with @landiscarrier, at least while the truck is under warranty I won't be installing a catch can. Mobil 1 Annual Protection oil and Motorcraft oil filters purchased from the local Ford dealer, changed by me every 4,000 miles.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL

What do you think.

For your reading pleasure, follow this link to find a thread with 25 pages of people discussing this very topic.

OP
OP
SAZ Ranger

SAZ Ranger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2wd
Occupation
Retired
I agree with your analysis. I'm leaving it the way it is and changing my oil on a regular basis with a quality synthetic oil.
Thanks for answering. That was my thinking too, with the same game plan. Just looking for other owners opinions.

TJ1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Thanks for answering. That was my thinking too, with the same game plan. Just looking for other owners opinions.
Note that I pulled the vent hose that is attached to the air intake behind the air filter and ran a cotton swab around the inside, no trace of oil at all.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Note that I pulled the vent hose that is attached to the air intake behind the air filter and ran a cotton swab around the inside, no trace of oil at all.
That one typically doesn't get that bad. The one under the intake manifold is where all the magic happens.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Even with the factory separator installed, there is still a small amount of oil that makes it past to the intake. Is it enough to cause the excessive carbon build-up? Hard to say at this point, only time will tell.

Now the factory separator is just a series of baffles that repeatedly change the direction of flow slowing it down and causes the oil vapor to collect and drain back into the crank case. Depending on the port sizes for the drain on the side of the block it may be possible to modify the separator by adding a bit of large coil stainless steel wool like the type used in food service. No corrosion or rust issues and it would significantly increase the contact points for oil vapor in the PCV air stream passing through the separator, and improve its performance.

OP
OP
SAZ Ranger

SAZ Ranger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2wd
Occupation
Retired
From what I understand catch cans still pass some oil vapor but it is considered an improvement. I have attached two video links that I think are worth watching. The first one is short, about 3.5 minutes the other is longer and from a guy that has an interesting way of explaining things but very through (I recommend watching the whole thing). While its nice having the turbo power I tend to drive my Ranger pretty much normally and only take advantage of the turbo when I need it, which reduces the excess blowby in the engine. That and changing the oil with Mobil 1 full synthetic every 5,000 miles.
I live in a small town so most of my trips are just a few miles on average but luckily its not very cold here so my short trips aren't as damaging as those in the cold country. I wish Ford had used dual injection on the engine rather than direct injection. Enjoy the videos.

OP
OP
SAZ Ranger

SAZ Ranger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2wd
Occupation
Retired
This is in addition to my last entry just a few minutes ago concerning catch cans vs oil separators. I meant to include as well. Sorry about that.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
John Cadogan's videos never fail to be informative while being immensely entertaining.

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The can of worms have been reopened.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Just say No to catch cans ...:rockon:
I'm inclined to agree with this, but only to a point.

The 1st gen GDI engines definitely can benefit from having a catch can installed. These engines didn't have factory oil separators, dual port or pre-injectors in the manifold to assist with reducing the valve deposits. So over the life of the engine there could potentially be significant buildup. The key word is "could" as it is all dependent on how well the engine was maintained and what type of driving conditions it was subjected to. My Mkv GTI after 140K miles with no catch can did have carbon build-up on the valves, but was far less than others that ran them.

The current gen GDI engines are more advanced than their predecessors, have tighter control of EGR systems, employ separators, dual port injection etc. Along with better quality oils specifically designed for GDI engines, and if maintained properly should result in significantly lower valve build-up issues. Yes there will be those who don't/wont maintain their engines properly and chances are could develop issues in a few years, but the vast majority will unlikely ever have to worry about it.

If adding a catch can will help you sleep better at night, then go ahead and do so. Just keep in mind that doing so may actually be detrimental over the life of the modern GDI engines. Because while they are shown at least on the 2.3L Eco to be trapping mostly water/fuel condensate, doing so could potentially cause other long term issues. We don't know if the engineers designed the system to run this way or if it's just continuation of the inherent nature of the GDI engine design with a factory oil separator installed. So unless one of them steps forward and says otherwise, all we have is anecdotal evidence in one-off situations.
Sponsored