Catch can install gone wrong

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Hi folks. For my first time doing anything to my Ranger today I installed a Mishimoto catch can. After struggling for an hour or so, I finally secured the second hose and thought "that thing is never coming off!!!". My happiness turned to sheer horror when I realized I installed them to the wrong fittings.

Is this something as simple to fix as connecting the hoses in the reverse at the catch can end? Or do I need to basically pull the motor to have access to the locking tab on that tight upper one?

In related news, I am an idiot who cannot follow instructions.

TIA
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Did you drive it with the wrong connections?

OP
OP
puckdodger

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. I stopped as soon as I realized. No engine start, or ignition cycle, but the position of the connection and the difficulty to remove it are giving me nightmares already. I can't imagine undoing what that took to do, without removing the engine or the whole fender.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Can you just swap the hose connectors at the can? Leave lower connectors as is.

OP
OP
puckdodger

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you just swap the hose connectors at the can? Leave lower connectors as is.
I emailed Mishimoto, I hope that's the case. My fear is that the connections might be designed to flow air in a certain direction. If they're the same connection and the only difference is the 90 degree bend at the can end, I can come up with a work around.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
There should not be such a thing as directional connectors. I was able to install the kit I fabbed in about an hour. You should be able to get them off again.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I emailed Mishimoto, I hope that's the case. My fear is that the connections might be designed to flow air in a certain direction. If they're the same connection and the only difference is the 90 degree bend at the can end, I can come up with a work around.
For giggles and the connectors I ordered the factory hose that you took off to install your can so I could reuse the connectors with the one I’m making myself. There is no check valve in factory hose. So your can doesn’t need one ether. It’s just enter flow in to can and exit back out on vacuum side. A hose swap is all you need to do.

OP
OP
puckdodger

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For giggles and the connectors I ordered the factory hose that you took off to install your can so I could reuse the connectors with the one I’m making myself. There is no check valve in factory hose. So your can doesn’t need one ether. It’s just enter flow in to can and exit back out on vacuum side. A hose swap is all you need to do.
That's what I was hoping to find out for sure. I think I should be good swapping the hoses at the can.
shoulda watched the youtube video too

I did. I have no excuse. ? The shame is real.

Mike C.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Education
As long as there is not a kink in the hose, you should be ok. I would suggest a drain kit, it is a pain to unscrew the can every other tank of gas.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
That's what I was hoping to find out for sure. I think I should be good swapping the hoses at the can.

I did. I have no excuse. ? The shame is real.
that video makes it all seem so very simple and it might be if you have hands the size of a dwarf monkey - refraining from saying dwarf homo sapiens as it might be politically incorrect .

I did the dual port can and if the hoses were incorrectly attached - well I would consider burning the truck rather than disconnecting them and reinstalling.

OP
OP
puckdodger

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
that video makes it all seem so very simple and it might be if you have hands the size of a dwarf monkey - refraining from saying dwarf homo sapiens as it might be politically incorrect .

I did the dual port can and if the hoses were incorrectly attached - well I would consider burning the truck rather than disconnecting them and reinstalling.
I considered that last night around 320 am as I tossed and turned my way thru a sleep deprived night.

All is well, spoke to Mishimoto Support and there are no check valves in the hoses, so I made the "wrong" connection at the can, basically the hose with vacuum to the outlet port and the dead hose to the inlet. In this case two wrong does make a right ?

The install was more of a three hour job, my hand was sore but nowhere near as bad as my own pride when I realized what a total FUBAR situation I created with my brand new truck.

OP
OP
puckdodger

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 600 km (400 miles) this was in the can. Standard water bottle. I'm glad I went through the pain and suffering, I think this will be a benefit over the long term for sure.

20210418_115740.jpg

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
What is that exactly? Mostly fuel?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP
puckdodger

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is that exactly? Mostly fuel?
There is a lot of fuel I think, but some oil too. I'll let it settle overnight and check it tomorrow
Sponsored