First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I started my project to install an Oil Pressure Gauge and a Boost Gauge the other day.

I had purchased so adapter tees with the intent of putting the tee in the port on the oil filter adapter and the factory sensor back in the tee with gauge sensor in the other port.

When I removed the factory sensor the thread was neither a 1/8 NPT or a 1/4 NPT. The pitch on the factory sensor was very close and didn't look like anything I had encountered in my years.

Anyone know what that that thread is?

Also, the factory sensor has three wires going to it. Not what I would have expected for a simple low pressure switch. Do we know for sure that the ECU does not measure pressure?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Dgc333

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
OP
OP
Dgc333

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I'd be shocked if Ford or any car manufacturer today uses English threads...try buying a metric thread measuring tool from Amazon?
I have a set of metric thread gauges. It really didn't match well, seemed like it was a M14 x 1.5 but if it is the threads are machined well, they looked like what you might see on a lead screw.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, definitely not BSP since they are a slightly finer pitch. The thread looks like a trapezoidal thread like you would see on a leadscrew. Most likely some sort of metric thread.
Hi Dave,

Lead screw threads are Acme threads...

Best,
Phil

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Thanks, definitely not BSP since they are a slightly finer pitch. The thread looks like a trapezoidal thread like you would see on a leadscrew. Most likely some sort of metric thread.
Can you get a good picture? Are they tapered or straight? Does it seal with a washer? Any additional details might help. Can’t see them using some special proprietary thead for an oil sensor.

OP
OP
Dgc333

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Can you get a good picture? Are they tapered or straight? Does it seal with a washer? Any additional details might help. Can’t see them using some special proprietary thead for an oil sensor.
Picture is tuff, I have to disconnect the front drive shaft from the axle inorder to get up in there so I don't want to tear into it again until I have the correct fittings. But it does seal with an o-ring.

I found this picture on the internet.

Screenshot_20220516-071514-573.png

Last edited:

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
ORB. O-ring boss, what size I don't know. We use those type of fittings on hydraulic units. NPT and BSP are tapered threads, ORB straight.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
ORB. O-ring boss, what size I don't know. We use those type of fittings on hydraulic units. NPT and BSP are tapered threads, ORB straight.
I agree, ORB. need to know thread O.D. to size it. Going to be hard to find a running tee to add a guage tap.
Sponsored