OBD2 port, is this factory?

KTM0620

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor 2017 KTM 1090 Adventure R
I noticed the panel by the Obd2 port was popped out a little, messing with it, an adaptor thing fell off it’s plugged into a harness. I bought the truck used with 1500 miles all stock. 2021 ford ranger tremor XLT. Is this from the factory or something aftermarket? Tried searching but couldn’t find anything
Sponsored

OP
OP
KTM0620

KTM0620

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here a picture

D86D453E-0477-4A1A-9FC3-D582D7B3220C.jpeg

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
when i read the post i assumed it was a tracker thingy that is so popular these days for dealers to stick on and stiff us. but the wiring looks pretty clean for a after factory thing. if you can trace it back see what that un loomed bundle of flat wire group plugs into. im almost positive the obd ports wires in my truck go up into the dash area and then into whatever computer box junction not down into the floor side panel area. i used that side floor are to run my coax for radio in without being in the way or ugly.

gtyates

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, Explorer, Sport Trac
Occupation
Manager
Possibly an auto stop eliminator device?? I have one on mine, though mine is plugged in where the button in the console is.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
That looks like a possible extra for a aftermarket gps traker of sorts. Assuming you have payments make sure if thay was something the creditor wanted on the truck. If not do yourself a favor and just remove it

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
OK, since what is shown is the male side of a OBD connector, it plugs into the trucks OBD connector, and only 2 wires are coming out of it. And they are black and red. I would say it is a power take off harness. Have to trace it back and see what it is connected to/powering.

OP
OP
KTM0620

KTM0620

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll try and trace it back see where it goes, I’m thinking it goes to gps tracking. The dealer tried to sell me the package but I declined.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Does the truck have power side steps on it? I believe they use something like that to trigger the step operation.

OP
OP
KTM0620

KTM0620

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the truck have power side steps on it? I believe they use something like that to trigger the step operation.
No power steps, I did just put some shrockworks sliders on last weekend! I think it powers a tracking device dealers try and up sale. No by the truck, I’ll take look tomorrow after work

banerjek

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
When I had to get emissions tested today, the people at the facility insisted both that this connector is not factory -- and that it is illegal.

They weren't sure what to make of it, and they eventually agreed to test me (which was good because my registration expires next week) but it made the process take much longer.

Russd

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vw bus 4runner
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When I had to get emissions tested today, the people at the facility insisted both that this connector is not factory -- and that it is illegal.

They weren't sure what to make of it, and they eventually agreed to test me (which was good because my registration expires next week) but it made the process take much longer.
Illegal? What would be illegal about an obd plug?

banerjek

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Illegal? What would be illegal about an obd plug?
Because it's not just a plug -- it's basically a box with circuitry. Something like that could easily tamper with intended functionality or influence readings by devices (i.e stuff DEQ depends on) trying to monitor the vehicle.
Sponsored