So I went to our Honda Dealer today.......

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
The 2019 Honda Ridgeline is the Most American-Made Truck (except for the Jeep).

https://www.forconstructionpros.com...onda-ridgeline-is-the-most-americanmade-truck
Ridgeline is the number 3 vehicle on the made in America list,

I have to ask where was your computer made? I refused to buy an iPhone because they were made in China And most home appliances. And a crapload of other things we use every day without realizing it came from china. But I understand your issue. Almost everything we buy is made in China.

Those of us who don't mind Japanese products always ask if it was made in Japan because if it was made in japan it was considered great and Toyota is a great company that builds here. I think their quality is taking a hit with the 2016 3rd gen Tacoma but they're still selling thousands and thousands of them every quarter. We live in a world economy there's no way we can live without everything in our homes that are ultimately made in china. No TVs are made in the united states so you can throw that out.

Five of the top 15 vehicles on the 2019 American-Made Index are trucks. In order of ranking:

Top 15 most “American-made” vehicles
  • Jeep Cherokee, Belvidere, Illinois.
  • Honda Odyssey, Lincoln, Alabama.
  • Honda Ridgeline, Lincoln, Alabama.
  • Honda Passport, Lincoln, Alabama.
  • Chevrolet Corvette, Bowling Green, Kentucky.
  • Acura MDX (excludes hybrid variants), East Liberty, Ohio.
  • Honda Pilot, Lincoln, Alabama.
Doesnt matter of your claims about the Ridgeline vehicle.. oh its not a truck either ..that it may has a few % pts more of American sources parts etc. . That stuff changes constantly too! Honda IS NOT an has never been an American Co . Headqtrs is not in US. All Its profits go overseas. It's only built in USA to create a sense of American made fake pride & grab as much tax subsidies as they can wherever they set up a plant. So, the fella saying he will spend his $ on "an American vehicle made here" was correct.. you just picked apart his words. Buy a Ford or GM or even now Foreign owned Jeep, RAM (FCA group but) the profits STAY in USA. These guys pay far more taxes than any transplant automaker (toyota, honda, Nissan etc) ever will AND employ far more ppl. These are the unmitigated facts. #BuyAmerican
Sponsored

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
My preference when I was shopping for trucks:
1. Ranger
2. Ridgline
3. Frontier
4. Tacoma
5. Chevy/GM

I have had a Frontier and new Colorado...

The most dependable of the group, probably the Frontier but also the most dated.. but, if you want a cheap truck to buy that will go forever... I think a good choice... I just didn't like the turning radius and I did want modern-ish features.

I wouldn't touch a GM product due to their transmission issues even though mine was ok.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My preference when I was shopping for trucks:
1. Ranger
2. Ridgline
3. Frontier
4. Tacoma
5. Chevy/GM

I have had a Frontier and new Colorado...

The most dependable of the group, probably the Frontier but also the most dated.. but, if you want a cheap truck to buy that will go forever... I think a good choice... I just didn't like the turning radius and I did want modern-ish features.

I wouldn't touch a GM product due to their transmission issues even though mine was ok.
Ridgeline is not a truck. Not even close.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to mention here in south Carolina BMW is made. The median pay $50,000 per year. I don't know how much you know south Carolina cost of living but $50,000 a year buys somebody a home New home start at 120k here. You have to earn twice that up north and still have a problem paying property taxes alone.

Jobs are more important no matter where they come from. the Chicken Tax was a great idea. They charge 25% tariff on incoming small pickup trucks so the people making those pickup trucks decided to build those factories here and avoid that tariff. So what if some profit goes back to the far east. Many people are making money off those trucks being built and sold here.

in my book that's a win-win for American workers.
Automakers here don't have to worry about unions because the workers are happy with their making plus their benefits. It's the same with Boeing. The workers voted against the union time and time again. And they make wages enough to live like a middle-class person in a low tax environment

The same thing happened to Harley in the 80S when they went to the government and the government charged major tariffs 47% for every bike incoming 700cc or over from anywhere. Unfortunately it didn't save barely....the history books seem to have gotten it wrong. The tariffs actually did little to help Harley-Davidson survive, though they likely did cost some workers their jobs and raised costs for consumers. What actually saved Harley-Davidson was Harley-Davidson.
Talk about the tax subsidies /huge tax break folks in SC have to pay to have that BMW plant there. Its prob near 100mil. Yes we are all happy to have more good paying jobs but do not try an say these transplant foreign automakers even close to our home grown US automakers. That's the pt of my rebuttal. To properly inform you. I'm in the auto industry "up north" where it all began an where it's still flourishing. 25+ yrs in the industry actually.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"It's only built in USA to create a sense of American made fake pride & grab as much tax subsidies as they can wherever they set up a plant "

this goes on in so many other industries, not just the automotive.
Well we discussing the auto industry right? Truth is the truth.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Don't like the appearance of them

ridgeine.jpg

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Reasons the Ridgeline is not a pickup truck:
  • Unibody construction doesn't allow for flex on uneven surfaces.
  • Front wheel drive.
  • Absolutely no low-range gearing to speak of.
  • AWD is not the same thing as 4WD.
  • Last but certainly not least, the "spare tire" is not a full spare but a donut and requires you to empty the bed of materials in order to access it.

Hard pass. ?
I considered the Ridgeline. I'm not going to be truly off-roading. The worst I'll be seeing will be rough gravel USFS roads (some kinda nasty, but still maintained with some frequency) and winter conditions. AWD is probably better in some respects. And the unibody isn't really a deal breaker, either.

What I couldn't get past was that cargo "trunk" in the bed and how you can't access it with anything back there. I don't like a donut spare for a truck (or even something that pretends to be a truck), either. But not being able to access the spare when I'm using the vehicle for what I bought it to do? Hard pass for me, too.

Lower on the list was how I was reading reviews about how the engine handled towing/hauling weight. I wouldn't be pulling a big trailer most of the time (just a 1500lb teardrop mostly), but I don't want the engine to strain on that kind of load. And it sounds like the Ridgeline has a tendency to do that.

I see a lot of Ridgelines on the road around here, but a smaller real truck suits me a bit better, I think.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I see a lot of Ridgelines on the road around here, but a smaller real truck suits me a bit better, I think.
That's really what I'd be in the market for: a new 1-4G Ranger, S10, Isuzu P'up
Toyota Hilux. Real body on frame, reg. cab 6' box or supercab 5' box. I take my Escape 4wd places I probably shouldn't. The two-track road to my brother in law's cabin has one sandy hump that scrapes the underside lightly, but I like the narrowness of it and the economy.
It'll get me to the spectator area where I can watch some of you guys do backflip endos at hillclimbs.
devil grin.jpeg

Last edited:

Phik

First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Doesnt matter of your claims about the Ridgeline vehicle.. oh its not a truck either ..that it may has a few % pts more of American sources parts etc. . That stuff changes constantly too! Honda IS NOT an has never been an American Co . Headqtrs is not in US. All Its profits go overseas. It's only built in USA to create a sense of American made fake pride & grab as much tax subsidies as they can wherever they set up a plant. So, the fella saying he will spend his $ on "an American vehicle made here" was correct.. you just picked apart his words. Buy a Ford or GM or even now Foreign owned Jeep, RAM (FCA group but) the profits STAY in USA. These guys pay far more taxes than any transplant automaker (toyota, honda, Nissan etc) ever will AND employ far more ppl. These are the unmitigated facts. #BuyAmerican
I don't think you understand. Honda USA and Toyota of USA are headquartered here and were founded here. They are semi independent subsidiaries of Honda and Toyota. Jeep and ram are semi independent subsidiaries of fca.
Therefore a locally built Honda is just as American as a ram, and actually more so, since more parts are made in the USA.
You can argue that a Ford or Chevy truck is more American, as long as you happen to avoid the Mexican built trucks, as long as you are OK with a ton of foreign parts, but the US built Hondas and Toyotas are exactly as American as anything from Jeep/Ram/Dodge etc.

BDUb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL 4x4, Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
So...sorry to say this...that's no truck. :lipssealed:

The ridgline should be called grocery getter. Nothing wrong with it in its element but it certainly is no truck. I personally would never buy one, however, everyone is different and people like different things.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think you understand. Honda USA and Toyota of USA are headquartered here and were founded here. They are semi independent subsidiaries of Honda and Toyota. Jeep and ram are semi independent subsidiaries of fca.
Therefore a locally built Honda is just as American as a ram, and actually more so, since more parts are made in the USA.
You can argue that a Ford or Chevy truck is more American, as long as you happen to avoid the Mexican built trucks, as long as you are OK with a ton of foreign parts, but the US built Hondas and Toyotas are exactly as American as anything from Jeep/Ram/Dodge etc.
Wow, the ignorance runs deep here an I'm not making fun of you if you truly believe what your saying here ( really, I dont tease or berate ppl in any way I'm a proud Christian at the core of being i can present the proper facts in discernable order but... cannot learn it for you sir! I will explain ..once again for last time here.. u can easily find out same thing from other business informational sources of excellent merit ok!?) Hoping ur w/ all ur heart here...sayin what u believe is business truth?? Or u really know truth in this case (we do have disingenuous types from "Tacoma world" or Toyota Corp an such laughably... but think u may influence /convince someone on this outstanding site of ur thinking / convoluted agenda. Theres a few Ford engineers in this group (u do remember it's a FORD RANGER truck group right? My specialty is mechanical engineering & business/finance to lesser extent. I've worked within the US AUTO INDUSTRY@ MANUFACTURING LEVEL for both domestic an foreign automotive companies. (im a bit long winded too!..
Lol). Wondering also do you not read other comments on this topic. Gonna keep this simple. Toyota, Honda, Nissan, fiat, Renault are 100% FOREIGN based corporations that can operate anywhere as fo thousands of AMERICAN companies operating abroad. In the case of Toyota & Honda that u seem so passionate about .. again, oddly enough in an American truck enthusiasts group. These 2 Japanese BASED & headquartered entities in this case manufacturing AND selling there vehicles in the USA. They have factories in USA, direct employees, dealerships etc to operate there business here in USA. Dont confuse any vehicles parts content with there owners/operators places of origin. They mainly manufacture there vehicles ..in this case we taking Toyota ah Honda....here for the tax breaks in states they manufacture an savings of building & selling in same areas plus avoidance of penalties while importing etc. There profits ALL go back to there places of origin. This case that would be Japan 100%. They do invest in USA & employ Americans ( to much less extent than a Ford Motor or General Motors ) but again it's a nice offshoot ..& marketing pt..that saves them alot of $$ doing so an thats primary goal. U see the direction here now, yes?. They are always still foreign companies in every way. Thus, we have distinction of American & Foreign in describing many, many types of business. American companies in most all cases will keep (return the $ earned to there home country/headquartered) those profits in USA.. well except Apple inc in the past but that's a separate business matter/industry. Toyota & Honda in this example doesn't ever hide there place of headquarters nor the billions brought bk to Tokyo etc. Ford Motor bring all profits before reinvesting or redistribution (to shareholders) back to Dearborn, Michigan from ALL their worldwide operations This Is an Important distinction to understand. Hopefully, u can understand a bit better now /plus continue learning "business 101" bout specific topics of corporate headquarters/ taxation / subsides/ reinvestment /ramifications of corporate profit location/ how they invest/ where they invest. Hope this helps a bit. Do you own a Ford truck at least right now? Keep truckin to all!

Last edited:

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So...sorry to say this...that's no truck. :lipssealed:

The ridgline should be called grocery getter. Nothing wrong with it in its element but it certainly is no truck. I personally would never buy one, however, everyone is different and people like different things.
Yes ur absolutely correct. It's a fortified Accord in my eyes. They simply allow it to dabble in the midsized truck category cause Honda has NO TRUCK OFFERINGS since they broke ties with Isuzu.