Next gen 2021 Ranger Leaked?

C2C1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape
Occupation
Government
Being discussed over at Blue Oval with the thinking it’s legit for at least the next ROW Ranger.

Source: https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/2021-ford-ranger-is-this-it

2021-Ford-Ranger-Spied1.jpg
2021-Ford-Ranger-Spied2.jpg

From MotorTrend:

Is This the Next-Generation Ford Ranger?
Mystery truck sports strong Blue Oval design cues

The Ford Ranger arrived on our shores this year after a long hiatus, but the North American truck is based on a design that's been on the global market since 2012. With that said, it's due for a redesign in just a few years. Recently, Australia's Wheels Magazine posted images of what could be the next-generation Ranger.

As the publication points out, the truck shares design cues with the 2020 Super Dutythat was unveiled a few weeks ago. This truck appears to have a similar grille setup, C-shaped headlights, square foglight housings, and two-tone split rear bumper. From the front, this truck looks like an F-Series, but the proportions look closer to those of the midsize Ranger. The pictures were taken just this week in an outer Melbourne suburb, according to Wheels Magazine. It looks to us like the truck was being positioned for a photo shoot, judging by the lighting and the wheel dolly visible on the right front wheel. The background has been masked to hide the location, and our photographers detect some Photoshop touch-up throughout the images. Wheels Magazine believes this may be a clay model based on the blacked-out windows.

Possible-next-generation-Ford-Ranger-rear.jpg

View 2 Photos

The publication can't confirm whether or not this is the new Ranger due in 2021. If it's not the Ranger, then some future rival truck bears an uncanny resemblance to Ford's portfolio. If it is the Ranger, Ford clearly wants to link the midsize truck more closely to the F-Series, and thus to the American market. Ford will develop and build the next-generation Volkswagen Amarok as part of a global alliance between the two automakers, so the new design could spill over to the German truck as well.

The Ranger was designed and developed in Australia. The U.S. model relies on North American parts, and is built at the Michigan Assembly Plant. As we've noted before, although the Ranger has all-new sheetmetal, a new powertrain, and new technology, it's clear most of the new goods came out of a necessity to satisfy American crash and emissions standards, not as a redesign to suit American tastes. Expect Ford to take input from American product planners on the new Ranger.

We'll keep our eyes peeled for more information about the next-generation Ford Ranger, so stay tuned.
Sponsored

Vesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: Taurus / Sold: F150 King Ranch
Wow that looks great if it's real. The badge underneath the front badge camo looks like it could be a Ford Oval.

But I dunno... when you zoom in on the images they look like they could renderings?

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
VW/Ford mashup ?

There appears to be a wheel dolly under the right front wheel/tire... ???

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Looks more like a Chevy to me. That grill is very similar to the new Chevy Silverados. I'm no expert on what car manufacturers do but I don't see them making such a drastic change in only a few years.

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Saw this in my feed this morning... Looks like a Chinese knockoff to me and considering the lack of sourced info I'd take it with a heavy dose of NaCl.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
This article suggests that it is a clay model based on the blacked out windows. I do find it odd that the US version gets a real front bumper and yet this one is shown with a front facia. Also the photos appear to be taken in Australia which is where Ford has been developing the Ranger for years. I like the lines but would expect the front end to change slightly. Ford won't want it to look like a small F-150 and need to keep the younger sibling appearance.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/next-generation-ford-ranger-leak/

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I'm no expert on what car manufacturers do but I don't see them making such a drastic change in only a few years.
Although I'm inclined to agree with this statement, it is worth noting that (as has been commented on/complained about extensively both here and elsewhere) the 2019 US Ranger is not a completely new vehicle, but an foreign model that has been modified for the US market. It is therefore possible that Ford considers it time to do a drastic redesign of the international Ranger, and thus at the same time they might as well apply the same sorts of changes to the US Ranger, even though it will only be a 2-year old model. If this was the plan the whole time, it may partially explain why they kept the Ranger options so limited (single drive-train, only 2 cab/bed configurations) compared to every single competitor and the other Ford pickups, as there's no point in dumping a bunch of resources into designing/engineering more configurations if they're going to be short-lived.

OP
OP

C2C1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape
Occupation
Government
Although I'm inclined to agree with this statement, it is worth noting that (as has been commented on/complained about extensively both here and elsewhere) the 2019 US Ranger is not a completely new vehicle, but an foreign model that has been modified for the US market. It is therefore possible that Ford considers it time to do a drastic redesign of the international Ranger, and thus at the same time they might as well apply the same sorts of changes to the US Ranger, even though it will only be a 2-year old model. If this was the plan the whole time, it may partially explain why they kept the Ranger options so limited (single drive-train, only 2 cab/bed configurations) compared to every single competitor and the other Ford pickups, as there's no point in dumping a bunch of resources into designing/engineering more configurations if they're going to be short-lived.
Exactly. It’s been stated several times our model is merely a placeholder to make entry into the market. The design although new to the states is dated worldwide so a next generation coming “sooner” than usual makes sense.

As for this design in particular, I see more “Ford” details than any other manufacturer. The covered logo up front appears to have a curve along the top edge. Behind the front wheel well there also appears to be a vertical vent appliqué much like the Super Duty (who knows if there’ll be a match on the redesigned 150 as well).

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

jesskewl

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 dodge durango RT
looks like chevy in front and ridgeline rear.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Cab and fenders looks like the Nissan Titan. Yuck.

Last edited:

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
I saw this same article on Motortrend this morning. I know it seems early, but as stated before, the Ranger as it's current platform sits is nearly 9 years old so it's about time for the next Gen to be making an appearance.
Sponsored