First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Apparently these displays are the new thing. The 2020 Escape display looks to me like it was an after thought.
2020 Escape.jpg

I remember when I had my Tacoma and was at the dealer getting an oil change, they had a car in the showroom with a screen just like that one. You're right it looks like an afterthought. Like someone said shit we forgot to add a touchscreen IN dash and just threw it ON the dash.
Sponsored

Caliope

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CC 4WD Lariat, 2022 Bronco Sport OB
I remember when I had my Tacoma and was at the dealer getting an oil change, they had a car in the showroom with a screen just like that one. You're right it looks like an afterthought. Like someone said shit we forgot to add a touchscreen IN dash and just threw it ON the dash.
I was toying with the idea of relacing my '15 Escape with a 2020 in order to get the newer safety features, but the interior really turns me off.

marlowefamily

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Expedition, 2017 C-Max, 2020 Ranger
I really think Ford had the right idea 5yrs ago with plugin hybrids using Atkinson motors....Ford just needed to increase battery size, implement better battery cooling, and deploy as an option on all vehicle models. Instead, the current ceo is trying to outdo Tesla in minimalist high tech interior and pure BEV.

At least, the next ranger won't be pure bev.

Ended up buying cmax plugin, expedition platinum max tow, and 5th gen ranger between 20017-2020 as a team of three vehicles for a four driver household....needed to get them before ford mgmt screwed up redesign. On the other hand, no more thinking about vehicle purchases this lifetime....

My oldest son is using the ranger the most...I'm trying to get him to mod it up but he is very new to trucks … He has only had a drivers license for a year.

Last edited:

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Some random thoughts here.
- Ford, the company, is in serious financial trouble at the moment. Therefore it is doubtful we'll see a major re-do with Ranger's next model. Likely there will be some color changes and restructuring of option packages, and some options for America, such as. heated steering wheel, electric rear window, fold-flat rear seat, sun roof, etc. And likely some grill changes. A Raptor model would not involve a lot of the limited available R&D money and would - again - put the Ranger in the limelight.
- Engines. Changing the frame rails and fenders to fit a different engine is way expensive so look for something that will fit. 2.7L - no way, V-8 extremely doubtful, V-6 is the most likely as is boosting Hp of the current 2.3.. Diesel, again as much as it peaks interest it's probably just too expensive an option to be viable. but to counter that point the V6 diesel is currently being manufactured. Is there that much demand? Doubt it, although getting ultra high mileage would give bragging rights.
- R&D money will most likely will be spent to expand EV options. Compared to the Escape the truck is heavier so would likely have a heavier set of batteries (compared to the Escape) to get the same distance and benefit.
- Big (ne huge) interior screen. Seems like all mfgrs are trying to out-do each other. There is a reason they all look add-on and that's because changes are much cheaper than a dash redesign. Think about making a larger screen on the current Ranger. I don't like add-on screens either.
- Price point has to be maintained. Although mid-sized trucks are increasing in sales relative to full-sized trucks (just heard that on autoline last week) they just can't be allowed to get into fully optioned F-150 XLT range. That will drive a lot of what we see in the next Ranger. Perhaps Phil knows but I suspect Ford has a pretty hard line on the Ranger's margin.

Deleted member 1634

Some random thoughts here.
- Ford, the company, is in serious financial trouble at the moment. Therefore it is doubtful we'll see a major re-do with Ranger's next model. Likely there will be some color changes and restructuring of option packages, and some options for America, such as. heated steering wheel, electric rear window, fold-flat rear seat, sun roof, etc. And likely some grill changes. A Raptor model would not involve a lot of the limited available R&D money and would - again - put the Ranger in the limelight.
- Engines. Changing the frame rails and fenders to fit a different engine is way expensive so look for something that will fit. 2.7L - no way, V-8 extremely doubtful, V-6 is the most likely as is boosting Hp of the current 2.3.. Diesel, again as much as it peaks interest it's probably just too expensive an option to be viable. but to counter that point the V6 diesel is currently being manufactured. Is there that much demand? Doubt it, although getting ultra high mileage would give bragging rights.
- R&D money will most likely will be spent to expand EV options. Compared to the Escape the truck is heavier so would likely have a heavier set of batteries (compared to the Escape) to get the same distance and benefit.
- Big (ne huge) interior screen. Seems like all mfgrs are trying to out-do each other. There is a reason they all look add-on and that's because changes are much cheaper than a dash redesign. Think about making a larger screen on the current Ranger. I don't like add-on screens either.
- Price point has to be maintained. Although mid-sized trucks are increasing in sales relative to full-sized trucks (just heard that on autoline last week) they just can't be allowed to get into fully optioned F-150 XLT range. That will drive a lot of what we see in the next Ranger. Perhaps Phil knows but I suspect Ford has a pretty hard line on the Ranger's margin.
This all depends on if things are already in the works and development or not. My understanding has been that the Bronco is being built on the new Ranger platform, not the current Ranger platform, which means that aspect of it is essentially already done. And if it's going to be a true global vehicle, then it's not just about America, which makes it a lot more versatile (since Americans don't like most of the things the rest of the world does) so it'll be able to fit the small Ecoboost engines, and the mid-size diesels, and everything in between. Given the types of leaks and basically done Bronco, I'm thinking the R&D group has been working on this new platform, and thus a new Ranger, for a bit already now. It might end up being delayed a year or two, but I don't think it'll be enough to warrant slotting a mid-generation facelift in. I could be wrong though, it's been known to happen.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
This all depends on if things are already in the works and development or not. My understanding has been that the Bronco is being built on the new Ranger platform, not the current Ranger platform, which means that aspect of it is essentially already done. And if it's going to be a true global vehicle, then it's not just about America, which makes it a lot more versatile (since Americans don't like most of the things the rest of the world does) so it'll be able to fit the small Ecoboost engines, and the mid-size diesels, and everything in between. Given the types of leaks and basically done Bronco, I'm thinking the R&D group has been working on this new platform, and thus a new Ranger, for a bit already now. It might end up being delayed a year or two, but I don't think it'll be enough to warrant slotting a mid-generation facelift in. I could be wrong though, it's been known to happen.
That is my reading as well. The next generation Ranger will be a '22 0r '23 model year. The momentum is too strong. The Bronco as you say is close to Job 1 now, plus the plant has been revamped to produce a 4 door, 2 door, the next Ranger and a rumored Bronco pick up. And don't forget the deal with VW to build a successor to the Amorok (which likely will be built in Europe).
Some accounts I've read say that Ford had $37 billion in reserves before the pandemic.
WCF & Co. have made some horrendous decisions in the past but shuttering Wayne Assembly for good isn't on the agenda.

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ë‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
the deal with VW to build a successor to the Amorok (which likely will be built in Europe).
btw. ...they build that ugly thing in argentina...
Sponsored