First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
There was some info posted a few weeks back, but it also looks like it won't be coming to USA. I hope it does, but what I saw suggested they are staying with the f150 and mav for their electric stuff in the US.

OP
OP

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
There was some info posted a few weeks back, but it also looks like it won't be coming to USA. I hope it does, but what I saw suggested they are staying with the f150 and mav for their electric stuff in the US.
Yeah I guess that makes some sense in your market, but ironically we have started getting the F150 here again after an absence of 30 years or so but looks like we won't see the Maverick.

Ford have opted to do what Stellantis have done with the RAM trucks, and import new LHD models from the US and they are converted to RHD locally by contracted second tier manufacturers ,and are then sold as factory vehicles through the dealerships. Ford must have noticed how many sales they are loosing here in that market as RAMS are a relatively common sight over here now.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I'd love to have one. Would be perfect for my 12 mile drive to work every day and then the extra grunt on the weekends for towing the camper.

OP
OP

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I'd love to have one. Would be perfect for my 12 mile drive to work every day and then the extra grunt on the weekends for towing the camper.
Yes that's exactly what I'm thinking too, it remains to be seen how much it will cost however.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Yes that's exactly what I'm thinking too, it remains to be seen how much it will cost however.
I'm not a big car jumper, I keep them a long time, but if it is around when my 2020 wears out, it will be way up on the list provided I still need a truck.

OP
OP

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
mild-hybrid transmission between the engine bell housing and the transmission.
Oh good we'll have two transmissions to blow up now. They should focus on getting the first one built right before adding another but that's too much to ask obviously.

OP
OP

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Yeah I was kind of hoping the e-motor assembly transmission would replace the hydraulic auto a la Prius, especially as there will be the capability to recharge the battery as you drive.
But yes, I agree the main advantage of hybrids is that you can use the battery for all your short trips and if you can arrange these cleverly you never need to use the ICE. Reserving the ICE only for longer trips or towing. But you now also have all the complications and potential for breakdown of both an ICE and electric system.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I was kind of hoping the e-motor assembly transmission would replace the hydraulic auto a la Prius, especially as there will be the capability to recharge the battery as you drive.
But yes, I agree the main advantage of hybrids is that you can use the battery for all your short trips and if you can arrange these cleverly you never need to use the ICE. Reserving the ICE only for longer trips or towing. But you now also have all the complications and potential for breakdown of both an ICE and electric system.
I was rather concerned about the complexity of the hybrid system when we bought our C-Max - so much so that I bought an extended warranty (which I normally don't do). 6 years and over 70k miles and it has been flawless. Its actually been one of our most reliable vehicles. There has literally been nothing except for normal maintenance.

It seems like kind of a moot point as the hybrid (either plugin or straight hybrid) won't be coming to the US unfortunately. Maybe that will change?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I really like the idea of this hybrid but I’m already starting to get “range anxiety“ and hoping they will go further than 40 km (28 miles) on EV when they’re introduced.

I’m certain I’ll get over it but I’m not sure if it will require therapy or Single Malt. 😀

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I was rather concerned about the complexity of the hybrid system when we bought our C-Max - so much so that I bought an extended warranty (which I normally don't do). 6 years and over 70k miles and it has been flawless. Its actually been one of our most reliable vehicles. There has literally been nothing except for normal maintenance.

It seems like kind of a moot point as the hybrid (either plugin or straight hybrid) won't be coming to the US unfortunately. Maybe that will change?

The FWD Ford hybrid drive has Toyota DNA in its veins. It is a super clever system if you look at how it works. Speed is controlled by spinning the electric motors at different speeds in conjunction with some planetary gears. There's precious little that can fail in them short of the motors crapping out.
Sponsored