First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Pilot
I've driven small, sporty, manual cars for most of my nearly 20 year driving career, but I'm moving soon to an area where a 4WD truck makes way more sense, and I've been wanting to switch over to a larger, more utilitarian vehicle for a while anyway, so after lots of research and searching the market for good deals I settled on this 2020 Race Red 300A FX4, which, oddly enough, is an ex-Avis rental truck, but somehow managed to survive rental use in amazing condition. I traded in my '14 Fiesta ST on it in late August and have already put a couple of thousand miles on the truck, including a trip I just got back from yesterday where I put about 1000 miles on the truck in 3 days, climbed from sea level to over 8000 feet, and got off of pavement for the first time and was able to try out 4wd and trail control. I'm loving the truck so far, I've never had such an easy vehicle to drive long distance, the fuel economy was better than expected on the trip (23, which I think is pretty great for a lot of mountain driving in a 4wd truck with A/T tires), being able to drive on rough gravel roads without major worries is a real game-changer for me, and I don't know how I'd manage to clear my house out the way I've been doing for the last few weeks if I didn't have a truck to move stuff with. After years of sports/sporty cars it's nice being able to see around other vehicles and not having a sore left leg after sitting in traffic, too.

Here's one with the ST I traded in, and a couple from this week's trip.
tzwS6mu.jpg

z5u8rbi.jpg

oMLaPqA.jpg
Sponsored

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I've driven small, sporty, manual cars for most of my nearly 20 year driving career, but I'm moving soon to an area where a 4WD truck makes way more sense, and I've been wanting to switch over to a larger, more utilitarian vehicle for a while anyway, so after lots of research and searching the market for good deals I settled on this 2020 Race Red 300A FX4, which, oddly enough, is an ex-Avis rental truck, but somehow managed to survive rental use in amazing condition. I traded in my '14 Fiesta ST on it in late August and have already put a couple of thousand miles on the truck, including a trip I just got back from yesterday where I put about 1000 miles on the truck in 3 days, climbed from sea level to over 8000 feet, and got off of pavement for the first time and was able to try out 4wd and trail control. I'm loving the truck so far, I've never had such an easy vehicle to drive long distance, the fuel economy was better than expected on the trip (23, which I think is pretty great for a lot of mountain driving in a 4wd truck with A/T tires), being able to drive on rough gravel roads without major worries is a real game-changer for me, and I don't know how I'd manage to clear my house out the way I've been doing for the last few weeks if I didn't have a truck to move stuff with. After years of sports/sporty cars it's nice being able to see around other vehicles and not having a sore left leg after sitting in traffic, too.

tzwS6mu.jpg

z5u8rbi.jpg

oMLaPqA.jpg
Nice looking. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
I like the red! Welcome!

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Great looking truck! Enjoy!

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Welcome, good find on the truck, you're going to love it. I find it comfortable on trips like you just did.

Last edited:

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
Great color on the truck! Same color as the Focus ST I traded in to get mine. I too traded up in search of a more utilitarian and comfortable vehicle. One trip down a paved, yet unmaintained service road pretty much told me I needed to ditch the Focus if I wanted to go adventuring.

AvalancheFX4

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Avalanche grey Lariat Ranger w/ fx4 package
Occupation
Keeping it real
Very nice ! Is that Lake Isabella in Kern?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Welcome to the family! So you found the truck, then us so great start! Now find your wallet again because hanging out here is probably going to get expensive. Beautiful color BTW! Oh‼ Need a damper on the tailgate. When Dave returns hit him up for a deal and your complementary tee shirt! ?

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

tzwS6mu.jpg

z5u8rbi.jpg

oMLaPqA.jpg
Nice and Welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
maxarcher

maxarcher

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Pilot
Thanks for the welcome, everybody!

That first shot of the truck clean looks like it is out of the brochure! Nice truck. Hopefully many more fun trips in the future.
Haha yeah, I was kind of amazed at how the photo came out myself. I've got a background in automotive photography but I'm pretty rusty and this was just an impromptu cell phone shot so I was surprised to see it looking so nice, got really lucky with the lighting.

Very nice ! Is that Lake Isabella in Kern?
It's actually Topaz Lake, only about a hundred yards past the Nevada border sign.

Welcome to the family! So you found the truck, then us so great start! Now find your wallet again because hanging out here is probably going to get expensive. Beautiful color BTW! Oh‼ Need a damper on the tailgate. When Dave returns hit him up for a deal and your complementary tee shirt! ?
Yeah I'm already accumulating a pretty long list of planned mods. A tailgate damper is definitely on it, but also a lot of more major stuff, like aftermarket wheels with 33"s and just enough lift to clear them (probably with Fox 2.0s in the process), aftermarket bumpers with lighting and maybe a winch, definitely some mudflaps after seeing how much crud gets kicked up by the front wheels, and so on. Some sort of bed storage for ratchet straps etc. would be nice too, maybe one of those swinging side boxes.

OP
OP
maxarcher

maxarcher

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Pilot
Nice truck! Where you moving to? I left Commiefornia 6 years ago. Best decision I ever made.
Northern NV, preferably the Carson City/Carson Valley area but I'm having a hard time finding a decent rental there - my trip a few days ago was to go look at some properties and it was basically a bust. I've been trying to get out of CA for years myself, most of my friends bailed on this disaster ages ago but my career got me stuck and I'm only finally getting out because I decided to walk away from it and go become a commercial pilot instead, and Carson City has an amazing flight training setup with some specialized stuff you can't find many other places so I'm going there for a couple of years to train and build hours. Longer term I'm hoping to head even further east, though, hopefully somewhere like Wyoming, Montana, etc.
Sponsored