New Icon 2.5 Coilover Kit & 285/70/17's

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Maybe educate me.
If you guys are running the icon 2.5 coilovers with cdcv you can adjust the compression settings there are 10 increments.

I'm running 6 up front and 2 in the rear.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Still trying to figure out what Icon 2.5 full suspension package I will purchase when the 6G Ranger comes out. Stage 3 Motorsports pricing. Stage 6 package, no reservoirs on front coil overs $3400. Stage 7 package reservoirs on all 4, $4200. Stage 8 with CDVC adjustment, $4710. All of these kits have tubular UCA's, 3 stage leaf springs with bump stops. Torn between which package to get for 20% off road.
Compared to King's and Fox these kits seem like good value.

Search Results (stage3motorsports.com)

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still trying to figure out what Icon 2.5 full suspension package I will purchase when the 6G Ranger comes out. Stage 3 Motorsports pricing. Stage 6 package, no reservoirs on front coil overs $3400. Stage 7 package reservoirs on all 4, $4200. Stage 8 with CDVC adjustment, $4710. All of these kits have tubular UCA's, 3 stage leaf springs with bump stops. Torn between which package to get for 20% off road.
Compared to King's and Fox these kits seem like good value.

Search Results (stage3motorsports.com)
Oh I see what bump stops you are talking about idk why my first thought was hydraulic bump stops lol.

I can definitely say these icons are breaking in and feeling good. The first 100 miles they were stiff as heck but they need to be broken in. I was a bit upset at first like no they are stiff but I have about 500 miles on mine and they are really feeling great. I hope they don't get any softer they are at a good ride.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Superdannyboy

What's your opinion on those suspension packages I listed for my purpose. Your truck would be much more focused for off road then I would need. I think the full 4 reservoirs make sense. Do the shocks and coil overs need the extra adjustment on the dampening.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Superdannyboy

What's your opinion on those suspension packages I listed for my purpose. Your truck would be much more focused for off road then I would need. I think the full 4 reservoirs make sense. Do the shocks and coil overs need the extra adjustment on the dampening.
My opinion is totally biased because I have experienced the cdcv's and I have only had my coilovers on with the long travel kit.

I off-road my truck like 10% of the time but when I do I go fast so there is a difference on the application.

For anything fast, I definitely say remote resi's are a must.

For slow and moderate offroading you don't need remote resis.

If you don't get compression adjusters I believe they come at the equivalent of setting #4 on the cdcvs.

This should be fine if not perfect for keeping the stock geometry of the upper and lower control arms. I have the long travel which is why I like setting #6 up front.

Adding a replacement upper arm will give better droop especially with an extended travel coilover.

My opinion on best bang for the daily driven, less then or equal to 20% of slow to moderate off roading buck would be the tubular arms (with the uniball cover) and the extended travel 2.5 coilover.

But if I was waiting for the 6g I would get the Ranger Raptor. That's the whole reason I started working on my 19 Ranger.

OP
OP
Dagzz

Dagzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Vehicle Showcase
My opinion is totally biased because I have experienced the cdcv's and I have only had my coilovers on with the long travel kit.

I off-road my truck like 10% of the time but when I do I go fast so there is a difference on the application.

For anything fast, I definitely say remote resi's are a must.

For slow and moderate offroading you don't need remote resis.

If you don't get compression adjusters I believe they come at the equivalent of setting #4 on the cdcvs.

This should be fine if not perfect for keeping the stock geometry of the upper and lower control arms. I have the long travel which is why I like setting #6 up front.

Adding a replacement upper arm will give better droop especially with an extended travel coilover.

My opinion on best bang for the daily driven, less then or equal to 20% of slow to moderate off roading buck would be the tubular arms (with the uniball cover) and the extended travel 2.5 coilover.

But if I was waiting for the 6g I would get the Ranger Raptor. That's the whole reason I started working on my 19 Ranger.
Yeah.. I have the 2.5 setup with remote resi, but I didn't get the one's with the CDCV valves. I'm wondering if I'll regret that down the line.

OP
OP
Dagzz

Dagzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah.. I have the 2.5 setup with remote resi, but I didn't get the one's with the CDCV valves. I'm wondering if I'll regret that down the line.
Btw.. after doing some "heavier" off roading on Fri, it was the first time I was a little bothered by the leaf spring setup. This time I was off roading at higher speeds and I'm sure that's why it was more noticeable. I'm going to get that Deaver leaf pack after all.. as long as it doesn't completely compromise the payload and tow capacity

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
you can upgrade them to adjusters down the road if you didnt know, think they are plug and play kits or you can send them in.

OP
OP
Dagzz

Dagzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Vehicle Showcase
you can upgrade them to adjusters down the road if you didnt know, think they are plug and play kits or you can send them in.
Thanks.. funny enough, as we speak I'm looking at the Stage 3 motorsport website (dangerous hole in the wallet) and noticed they have the new fin resi's with the valves. Those look pretty nice.

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
Thanks.. funny enough, as we speak I'm looking at the Stage 3 motorsport website (dangerous hole in the wallet) and noticed they have the new fin resi's with the valves. Those look pretty nice.
yes i know im currently saving my pennies for a new kit lol, cant decide if i wanna ball out or get something reasonable. either going with 6112s or king 2.5s a decent jump between the two.

OP
OP
Dagzz

Dagzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Vehicle Showcase
yes i know im currently saving my pennies for a new kit lol, cant decide if i wanna ball out or get something reasonable. either going with 6112s or king 2.5s a decent jump between the two.
My brother in law has a full King 2.5 setup front and back with CDCV resi's on his "Taco." He loves it and can't say enough good things about it. You'd probably be happy with it. I was actually going to get King instead of Icon. But for whatever reason, there was an 8 week backorder on the kit for the Ranger and I got impatient because I wanted to use the truck for some trips we had lined up. I knew Icon would be reputable enough as a second option

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
My brother in law has a full King 2.5 setup front and back with CDCV resi's on his "Taco." He loves it and can't say enough good things about it. You'd probably be happy with it. I was actually going to get King instead of Icon. But for whatever reason, there was an 8 week backorder on the kit for the Ranger and I got impatient because I wanted to use the truck for some trips we had lined up. I knew Icon would be reputable enough as a second option
Ya ive only ever had fox 2.0s on last 2 vehicles looking to upgrade to do some more serious stuff in alaska when i move up there this month. Kings will likely be what i get if they are close to being in stock when im buying sometime in july. Icons look great, but the king reputation and the color has me.

OP
OP
Dagzz

Dagzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Ya ive only ever had fox 2.0s on last 2 vehicles looking to upgrade to do some more serious stuff in alaska when i move up there this month. Kings will likely be what i get if they are close to being in stock when im buying sometime in july. Icons look great, but the king reputation and the color has me.
Lol.. If you're moving to Alaska, King sounds like the way to go. They can take the abuse.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Btw.. after doing some "heavier" off roading on Fri, it was the first time I was a little bothered by the leaf spring setup. This time I was off roading at higher speeds and I'm sure that's why it was more noticeable. I'm going to get that Deaver leaf pack after all.. as long as it doesn't completely compromise the payload and tow capacity
Contact APG and ask them about payload and towing with the deavers.

Since you are going to be towing I absolutely believe that having the ability to adjust the compression settings in the rear shocks will put a smile on anyone's face as they load up the bed with weight or hitch up a trailer. That's an application where the cdcv's help tune the ride with weight.

I personally like the ability to find the right compression setting for the rear for soaking up bumps in the road vs. off-road. That's an application where the cdcv's help tune the ride over bumps relative to on road vs. off road.

I also plan to put 2 spares in the back inside of a spare carrier I'm designing out of mild steel so I will probably crank the rear shocks up a setting or 2. That would be me using the first application for weight in the back.

I know that the front coilovers that are without the cdcv's come at what would be setting 4 which in my opinion is fantastic without a long travel kit.

For the rears without cdcv's I'm not sure what "relative" setting they come at out of the box compared to a setting with the cdcv's but for me if that would be similar to a setting 4 on the cdcv's, that rides too rough with the deavers and feels like I'm back to the stock leafs that just buck over bumps. Some permanent weight in the rear would help but I'm not sure how much. I'm sure anyone could find the sweet spot and who knows maybe the rear shocks come at what would be similar to setting 2 because these shocks are engineered which means designed, tested, fixed, tested again, and so forth.

So cdcv's aren't necessary, the front come at a sweet setting out of the box and I just can't say how the rears come out of the box without cdcv's.

But the cdcv's do have some nice applications that you could use them for.
Sponsored