OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I sent you a message on FB - I have since installed 2" wheel spacers and had to fully remove the bars (but did not have to do any cutting at all), but my question is as follows:

When I bought my Ranger the dealership had installed a 2.5" level and installed 285/70/17 tires on the factory magnetic sport wheels (same as your video). No spacers and it had full clearance with crash bars (and plastic covers installed on them). How did they do this? Everything I've read on on this forum would indicate this should not have been possible? Myself and others are scratching our heads trying to figure this one out. Was just curious if you might have some insight.

re5vqzp-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jason@Stage3

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
I sent you a message on FB - I have since installed 2" wheel spacers and had to fully remove the bars (but did not have to do any cutting at all), but my question is as follows:

When I bought my Ranger the dealership had installed a 2.5" level and installed 285/70/17 tires on the factory magnetic sport wheels (same as your video). No spacers and it had full clearance with crash bars (and plastic covers installed on them). How did they do this? Everything I've read on on this forum would indicate this should not have been possible? Myself and others are scratching our heads trying to figure this one out. Was just curious if you might have some insight.

re5vqzp-jpg.jpg
Clearing 285s is HEAVILY dependent on the tire. On our truck, the KO2s we used cleared the knuckle by like a quarter inch, and if we were running those tires at full air pressure solely on the street, we may have been fine.

However, that's not how we use our truck, and we most definitely would've had clearance issues. Secondly, 285 wide tires aren't really 285 wide. 285 is just the section width measurement, and many tires (especially chunky M/Ts and Hybrids) have significantly wider overall widths than their section widths indicate.

It's less an issue of us saying "fitting a 285 wide tire on the stock wheels is an impossibility" and more of "we as a business cannot guarantee that every 285 wide tire will clear the knuckle in all possible applications, thus we don't recommend running them without a spacer."

Or better yet, just run a 275 wide tire and not worry about it.

Granted, at least the obsession with 285s in the Ranger world isn't as bad (or problem-prone) as the F150s and the "absolute need" for 35x12.50s. Something I wrote about because it annoyed me.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
I know I'm a little late to the party...

In your opinion. Would a 3 inch level kit, 1.5 wheel spacers, with 285-70-17 (Kenda Klevar R/T E Load 10 PLY) work with no trimming/rubbing. I appreciate all the help and info

Scootin_B??

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT sport 4X4
Occupation
Mechanic
He

Hey, Phil. Thanks for the response. I’m actually just researching for when my Ranger first needs new tires. I.e. no decisions have been made just yet.

I plan on buying the Ford Performance leveling kit at that time, and then running the biggest tires I safely can without needing to cut or modify the crash bars. I’m mostly just poking around to figure out what that size is, post leveling kit.

Perhaps I’m misguided on this front, but I feel more comfortable adding spacers than I do modifying or removing safety equipment, like crash bars. Perhaps you can shed more light on any or all of the above.
scootin_B?? - 285/70/r17 is the size I run and I didn’t cut a single thing or delete my crash bars

Scootin_B??

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT sport 4X4
Occupation
Mechanic
The biggest problem here is that it's the overall width of the tire that effects knuckle clearance, which is often a bit larger than the stated section width.

A 285 wide just barely doesn't clear the stock knuckle on the factory wheel. A 1/4" spacer should allow most All-Terrain 285s to clear, but if you're using an M/T or hybrid that has a bigger overall width than its section width, you may need a 1" spacer or larger.

Granted, if you're jumping to a 285, you'll probably need to trim the crash bars or go aftermarket, especially if you're looking at 285/70R17. You might be able to clear a 285/65R17 without messing with the crash bars, but I can't guarantee it.

If you want to forgo and potential crash bar modification, your much better bet would be no spacer and like a 275/70R17 on the stock wheels with a leveling kit.
I have a 2.5 in rough country level and I don’t have to run wheel spacers nor did I do any trimming or have to delete my crash bars ! I’m running 285/70/R17 cooper STT PRO MUD TIRES , it’s literally a perfect fit !

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
The biggest problem here is that it's the overall width of the tire that effects knuckle clearance, which is often a bit larger than the stated section width.

A 285 wide just barely doesn't clear the stock knuckle on the factory wheel. A 1/4" spacer should allow most All-Terrain 285s to clear, but if you're using an M/T or hybrid that has a bigger overall width than its section width, you may need a 1" spacer or larger.

Granted, if you're jumping to a 285, you'll probably need to trim the crash bars or go aftermarket, especially if you're looking at 285/70R17. You might be able to clear a 285/65R17 without messing with the crash bars, but I can't guarantee it.

If you want to forgo and potential crash bar modification, your much better bet would be no spacer and like a 275/70R17 on the stock wheels with a leveling kit.
That's not true. 285's on stock rims do clear the knuckle. I'm running the BFG KO2's without spacers and I have no problem with clearing the knuckle. It's tight. But it's clear.

OP
OP
Jason@Stage3

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
That's not true. 285's on stock rims do clear the knuckle. I'm running the BFG KO2's without spacers and I have no problem with clearing the knuckle. It's tight. But it's clear.
That’s not true FOR YOU. The 285 BFG E-Rated KO2s that we ran on our truck at 55psi would not clear our truck’s knuckles

Thus, a 285 wide tire that has a significantly wider overall width than section width (which can be up to a full inch or two on M/Ts with chunky shoulders) can and will also have issues.

Nothing I said was incorrect, given our experience with our project truck.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
That’s not true FOR YOU. The 285 BFG E-Rated KO2s that we ran on our truck at 55psi would not clear our truck’s knuckles

Thus, a 285 wide tire that has a significantly wider overall width than section width (which can be up to a full inch or two on M/Ts with chunky shoulders) can and will also have issues.

Nothing I said was incorrect, given our experience with our project truck.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.
Must be the difference between the C and E rated tire then? I'm still gonna throw some 1" spacers on, if they ever show up. I can't get my finger between the tire and the knuckle. Lol

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
Must be the difference between the C and E rated tire then? I'm still gonna throw some 1" spacers on, if they ever show up. I can't get my finger between the tire and the knuckle. Lol
If you cant get your finger between the tire and the knuckle then what Jason posted was exactly true and Im confused why you made the post contradicting him in the first place. Thats exactly why they used a spacer to begin with and has no bearing on the C vs E tire.

If you have that little clearance, you are going to have issues under load or airing down.

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
If you cant get your finger between the tire and the knuckle then what Jason posted was exactly true and Im confused why you made the post contradicting him in the first place. Thats exactly why they used a spacer to begin with and has no bearing on the C vs E tire.

If you have that little clearance, you are going to have issues under load or airing down.
Now you made me go and measure it. Lol I got a little over 3/4",(it was the angle of my finger, I guess, and the haste in doing it at the shop after they put the tires on.) So my statement stands and is correct.
I've already taken them out aired down to 18 psi and they're fine. I'll still be throwing on 1" spacers, if and when they ever show up!

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
Now you made me go and measure it. Lol I got a little over 3/4",(it was the angle of my finger, I guess, and the haste in doing it at the shop after they put the tires on.) So my statement stands and is correct.
I've already taken them out aired down to 18 psi and they're fine. I'll still be throwing on 1" spacers, if and when they ever show up!
You are correct in saying they are fine while sitting still.

Dont you also have a 3 1/2” lift?

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
You are correct in saying they are fine while sitting still.

Dont you also have a 3 1/2” lift?
Yep. I figured the spacers would've been here by the time I got the tires. But it's 2 mos. and I'm still waiting on my damn spacers! WTH?

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I think some people forget that when you air down, the section width of the tire actually decreases since there is less air pressure to fill the tire out to it's max dimension. Most side loading and sidewall deflection comes on the side where the contact patch is as well - 180 degrees from the knuckle. Is less than a fingers width enough for all occasions? IDK, but it takes more than you think to make that upper part of the sidewall rub on the knuckle.
Sponsored