New Icon 2.5 Coilover Kit & 285/70/17's

Dagzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Vehicle Showcase
This truck has definitely turned into a new addiction. Someone on here said that "spending on mods for the ranger is more expensive than a bad drug habit." I couldn't agree more.

I just put on this new Icon 2.5 coilover kit, with upper control arms and rear shocks. I also added 285/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, mounted on these 17Ă—8.5 wheels with a 25mm offset. The truck looks and rides great. It's a lot more trail capable, especially with the difference between the stock tires and new Nitto's.

I am taking a hit in MPG. I'm not sure if that would improve much with an aftermarket tune plus a cold air intake? I'm thinking about getting the Livernois tune and Roush cold air intake. Does anyone have any experience with these and thoughts one way or another?

20210429_184004.jpg

20210506_121112.jpg

20210506_120949.jpg
Sponsored

Gibby84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford XLT Ranger
Occupation
Graphic Design, Sign Maker
Your truck looks great. Good job.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
What Icon Stage is the Suspension. Are you using the Icon leaf springs.

OP
OP
Dagzz

Dagzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Vehicle Showcase
What Icon Stage is the Suspension. Are you using the Icon leaf springs.
I've got the front 2.5 coilovers and rear 2.5 shocks , along with their Upper Control Arms. So I think stage 3? It doesn't feel stiff at all so I haven't done the leaf springs yet.. I want to see how that goes. Because I have the tow pkg too and tow a bit. I heard the stock leafs are good for towing and Icons leafs are better for off roading. I do both ?‍♂ I'm going to leave the leafs alone a little while longer.

OP
OP
Dagzz

Dagzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Vehicle Showcase
That kit looks like a solid setup. My control arms aren't billet either. I think the billet one's are for guys who want to make constant adjustments on the fly. I didn't think I'd need that. I'll probably make any adjustments when I do an alignment from time to time. I'm curious how the new leafs work out for you.
I think this Stage 6 Kit will fit the bill for me. Just does not have reservoirs on coilovers. Control arms are steel instead of billet. On the cheaper end for the kit.

19-21 Ranger ICON Stage 6 Package with Tubular UCAs K93206T (stage3motorsports.com)
I think this Stage 6 Kit will fit the bill for me. Just does not have reservoirs on coilovers. Control arms are steel instead of billet. On the cheaper end for the kit.

19-21 Ranger ICON Stage 6 Package with Tubular UCAs K93206T (stage3motorsports.com)

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
There is not a lot of info on opinions of the Icon Suspension. It would be subjective any ways.

This 5G post gives some light on the equipment.

New ICON Rear Leaf Pack | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com

I would stick with the Icon leaf with the 3/8 lift since the Ranger is high in the back from stock. My vehicle has to get under my 6'6" apartment under ground parking gate.

the Icon Stage 6 reads that its setup for 32" tires. Its what I am looking for.

I think the load on the leafs will be correct for my application. I will not be trailering, maybe a 400lbs load. Icons are 600lbs of constant load. Softer then the Old Man EMU's

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
Icon stuff looks great, ive just heard alot of things about quality control and their customer service have me worried about going with them, Its hard because they do have nice looking stuff.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
I talk to Icon to Clarify the leaf spring loads and tire fitment.

Option 1 leaf with original configuration 3/8 lift will keep the Rangers 1250lbs payload.
The add on leaf will add 350lbs and 600lbs to the original Ranger payload. The Spring rate has been lowered over the OE. I think the leafs are progressive too.

With the 3/8 leaf spring lift it will fit 32" tires.

OP
OP
Dagzz

Dagzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Vehicle Showcase
With just the coilover, UCA's and rear shocks, I'm running 285/70/17 tires, which is about a 33" tire. Technical spec is 32.7". But that was only possible with aftermarket wheels, with a different backspace and offset from stock. Some guys on here kept the wheels stock, but had to use spacers etc.. to fit the 33" tires. I wanted different wheels anyway.

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
With just the coilover, UCA's and rear shocks, I'm running 285/70/17 tires, which is about a 33" tire. Technical spec is 32.7". But that was only possible with aftermarket wheels, with a different backspace and offset from stock. Some guys on here kept the wheels stock, but had to use spacers etc.. to fit the 33" tires. I wanted different wheels anyway.
You check the fitment of the 285 before getting the new wheels? im trying the same setup but trying to see if i can run the stock wheels haha.

OP
OP
Dagzz

Dagzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Vehicle Showcase
You check the fitment of the 285 before getting the new wheels? im trying the same setup but trying to see if i can run the stock wheels haha.
I just read and heard from a lot of different guys about having rubbing issues with the stock wheels when trying to run 285's. The biggest issue is the stock offset, which I believe is around +55. That's why the spacers would need to come into play with stock wheels. Even with spacers, I think there could be rubbing, depending on if you cut out the crash bars etc.. So I think you can run the stock wheels.. but I believe you'll definitely need the wheel spacers and need to remove those crash bars. And of course you'll probably need at least 2.5" to 3" of course in lift/level in the front.

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
I just read and heard from a lot of different guys about having rubbing issues with the stock wheels when trying to run 285's. The biggest issue is the stock offset, which I believe is around +55. That's why the spacers would need to come into play with stock wheels. Even with spacers, I think there could be rubbing, depending on if you cut out the crash bars etc.. So I think you can run the stock wheels.. but I believe you'll definitely need the wheel spacers and need to remove those crash bars. And of course you'll probably need at least 2.5" to 3" of course in lift/level in the front.
ya ill have to just get 1.5" spacers before i even waste my time getting the tires then pretty sure they will rub the spindle no matter what lift etc. ill just take my crash bars out and move on with my day.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Yes, the clearance for the wheels is critical. I would think the Icon steel upper control arms would have more clearance then the stock. Hope to run the stock rims with 32's.
Sponsored