Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, they are having a 15% off Father's Day Sale!
So unknowing people will buy their Fathers something that he doesnt need or want, and therefore the company selling stuff will make more money.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
So unknowing people will buy their Fathers something that he doesnt need or want, and therefore the company selling stuff will make more money.
What? This doesn't really make any sense. It's a sale. If someone here wants to buy it on sale that's a win. Somehow I doubt someone will be buying these for their father who doesn't need or want this. That would really be random. And how many people buy stuff for their father on father's day that they don't want or need every year? I don't see the purpose of this comment.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Unless it increases the airflow so much a retune isn't necessary. When I changed all the pipes on my Fusion, Torrie from Unleashed said it wasn't necessary.
The theory is correct but in application I don’t see the volume increase from what looks to be 1.25” pipe to 2.5” pipe causing a “noticeable” delay in pressurization of that particular segment of pipe. From my perspective I see the positives of less static restriction within that larger pipe to be more beneficial than any intangible delay in pressurizing that pipe.

For consideration, if the stock pipe can flow 387 cfm at (.25psi rounded) and the aftermarket can flow 478 cfm at the same pressure.

The pressure at the compressor outlet will be greater than that at the throttle body to overcome the systems, expansion of air, drag from bends and intercooler.. etc. So if the pressure and in relation volume of air at the compressor outlet has a larger pipe to flow into it would have a lower air speed leaving the compressor and through the system. Which should mean less loss of efficiency for that compressor. Higher air speed would mean more resistance at a given pressure. So if it’s tuned and pushing even higher volumes of air at higher pressures one can only assume lowering the air speed would be beneficial.

I’m just thinking out loud and welcome your thoughts on this.

Not sure as I am not an automotive engineer. I do know on naturally aspirated engines, they attempt to increase air velocity. All I know is that you really won't be pushing the limits of the stock pipes on a stock turbo, and the only real reason to upgrade is if you have trouble keeping the stock ones attached with increased boost when tuned.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just checked with AFE and they don't ETA on parts. And the sale is NOT 15% sitewide as they claim. The charge pipes are 10% off.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I just checked with AFE and they don't ETA on parts. And the sale is NOT 15% sitewide as they claim. The charge pipes are 10% off.
Still better than full price. It did say on certain items. Funny thing was I tried to see if it was cheaper through 5 Star and they said we don't ship to CA. I replied, that's hilarious cause they're 20 mins from me and I can order direct from them.

Last edited:

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I have an anticipated shipping date of 6/28/19 in an email from them.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a ETA but was told that I'm #4 on one order and #2 on the other. I ordered both the filter box and charge pipes so I'm assuming the pipes are coming first as filter box is slated for August preorder.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
My email for the pipes also said 6/28.

They confirmed what I suspected on the intake. Not really worth it since I only want the tube that goes from the air box top the turbo.

"Hello,

The intake has a port right in the front front of the housing. It uses the factory scoop to get its air from."

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My email for the pipes also said 6/28.

They confirmed what I suspected on the intake. Not really worth it since I only want the tube that goes from the air box top the turbo.

"Hello,

The intake has a port right in the front front of the housing. It uses the factory scoop to get its air from."
What do you mean " what I suspected"?

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
What do you mean " what I suspected"?
That's what I guessed, suspected. The intake takes its air from the factory scoop. A drop in will do just as good as this "cold air". We won't max out a drop in filter airflow wise. The filter is huge. That's a lot of money for a redesigned stock box. Upgrading just for the elbow isn't worth the cost. It's only half of the piping to the turbo.
20190613_191011.jpg

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I guessed, suspected. The intake takes its air from the factory scoop. A drop in will do just as good as this "cold air". We won't max out a drop in filter airflow wise. The filter is huge. That's a lot of money for a redesigned stock box. Upgrading just for the elbow isn't worth the cost. It's only half of the piping to the turbo.
20190613_191011.jpg
So you're not buying their gain numbers for this part? If so, then why believe their number for the charge pipes?

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
So you're not buying their gain numbers for this part? If so, then why believe their number for the charge pipes?
I believe the gain is more a high flow filter than the actual box design. I'm not saying I don't believe their numbers. I've already got the K&N. If there's any gain over a drop in it'd be really marginal. It's being fed by that same stock scoop. Not $350+ worth for me. The pipes, more so the turbo to intercooler one, looks much better and consistent than the stock.

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Sport; 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
Definitely just an average Joe, so all opinion:

I like intakes. I will probably install one on my Ranger eventually. I had one in my Silverado, and I have one in my Tacoma and my RSX.

However "Cold Air" is a marketing slogan. There are exceptions (the Volant in my Tacoma has a scoop that pulls air from the front of the truck, therefore making it possible that it's colder air), but by and large, cold air intakes are just intakes.

I'm not sure about this intake. I think I'm in the same boat as @RCMUSTANG, but if K&N or Volant don't come up with anything better I may get the aFe.

I'm in on the charge pipes though. Just gotta sell the wife on them...

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I like intakes because I like intake noises (choochin and whatnot), but I'm not about to use an oiled filter where I live. The dirt roads have powder dust that would destroy my turbo vanes in a few thousand miles (or severely diminish their effectiveness).

I would do the charge pipe alone though because (and I forgot about this with my earlier posts) there's a turbo silencer right by the diverter valve, and I'd love to have it gone.
Sponsored