2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
Really impressive numbers from the charge pipes, I never would have thought there was that much room for improvement there

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Really impressive numbers from the charge pipes, I never would have thought there was that much room for improvement there
The stock discharge pipe is dismal and tiny.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Since these are flow rate increases I don’t think we would need to retune for them? Freeing up power not really adding power...As the ECU can measure and adjust for the air it takes in.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Since these are flow rate increases I don’t think we would need to retune for them? Freeing up power not really adding power...As the ECU can measure and adjust for the air it takes in.
With a torque targeting ECU, you might get a bit faster spool (which is already near instant), but you'll not get any extra power without a tune.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I called AFE and asked how many they have made for this batch. He said 5... 3 already ordered haha. I ordered one just now and it should be shipping soon. Only 1 left!

I’ll see if I can get someone to tune for it once it arrives.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Looking at the charge pipes again yesterday only the one going from the turbo to the intercooler needs to be upgraded. The other one not so much.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I called AFE and asked how many they have made for this batch. He said 5... 3 already ordered haha. I ordered one just now and it should be shipping soon. Only 1 left!

I’ll see if I can get someone to tune for it once it arrives.
I ordered mine 2 days ago so it should be one of the ready set...we'll see:fingerscrossed:

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at the charge pipes again yesterday only the one going from the turbo to the intercooler needs to be upgraded. The other one not so much.
I thought the same when looking at them. The hot side definitely is tiny.

On a side note. I’m not so sure we need to tune for the charge pipes as they are only facilitating the movement of air in the system. Not increasing any metrics that the ecu cant already account for.

In the article cited below I read through the air density tuning logic and theory behind the system to better understand what exactly is effected. The quoted text is the only relevant note into the aspect of airflow modifications in that if we are not increasing the mass of air in the system and only allowing that mass to move more efficiently, then the tables of which the ecu reads from don’t need to be adjusted to account for any changes in air density.

“These vehicles utilize manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensors located pre and post throttle body to measure the mass of air entering the engine. Filter configuration does not necessarily require tuning but heavily contaminated air filters of both OEM and aftermarket construction were found to reduce power output at moderate to high engine speeds. Frequent air filter cleaning and/or replacement is recommended for best performance and engine protection.”

Source: https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/608632980/Focus+RS+Tuning+Guide

Disclaimer: I could be wrong...

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Unless it increases the airflow so much a retune isn't necessary. When I changed all the pipes on my Fusion, Torrie from Unleashed said it wasn't necessary.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The hot side is small on purpose. That's less air space that the turbo has to pressurize, and the smaller size decreases expansion of the hot pressurized air before it goes through the IC and is cooled to an acceptable level. If you increase the hot side pipe, the turbo has to work harder to pressurize the new increased volume, which will increase spool time somewhat.

Now charge pipes are definitely needed when you go to a larger turbo, but with the stock turbo, even at extreme tune levels the stock pipes are sufficient.

Source: I had a ~300WHP Focus ST on E30 with stock turbo and stock charge pipes. It ran fine with the stock hairdryer.

Unless it increases the airflow so much a retune isn't necessary. When I changed all the pipes on my Fusion, Torrie from Unleashed said it wasn't necessary.
You can't really "increase airflow" on a forced motor without screwing with the turbo or wastegate (in this application both are ECU controlled). It's only going to take so much air which is accurately measured by the MAP sensors. The air might "flow" more efficiently, but the ECU will account for that once it reaches it's torque targets.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Look at the stock pipe. It's beyond small and not a consistent size throughout. The new pipe isn't huge but it's a consistent sized pipe.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
BTW, they are having a 15% off Father's Day Sale!

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The hot side is small on purpose. That's less air space that the turbo has to pressurize, and the smaller size decreases expansion of the hot pressurized air before it goes through the IC and is cooled to an acceptable level. If you increase the hot side pipe, the turbo has to work harder to pressurize the new increased volume, which will increase spool time somewhat.
The theory is correct but in application I don’t see the volume increase from what looks to be 1.25” pipe to 2.5” pipe causing a “noticeable” delay in pressurization of that particular segment of pipe. From my perspective I see the positives of less static restriction within that larger pipe to be more beneficial than any intangible delay in pressurizing that pipe.

For consideration, if the stock pipe can flow 387 cfm at (.25psi rounded) and the aftermarket can flow 478 cfm at the same pressure.

The pressure at the compressor outlet will be greater than that at the throttle body to overcome the systems, expansion of air, drag from bends and intercooler.. etc. So if the pressure and in relation volume of air at the compressor outlet has a larger pipe to flow into it would have a lower air speed leaving the compressor and through the system. Which should mean less loss of efficiency for that compressor. Higher air speed would mean more resistance at a given pressure. So if it’s tuned and pushing even higher volumes of air at higher pressures one can only assume lowering the air speed would be beneficial.

I’m just thinking out loud and welcome your thoughts on this.
Sponsored