Need advice regarding new tires.

Nomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
I own a 2019 Ford Ranger STX basic model. It came with the silver alloy 17” rims. Which I’m tired of looking at. I just purchased the Ford factory 18” black rims and I need advice on what tire to put on it. I like the rugged all terrain looking tires but I won’t be off roading with it. I do get snow in the area thru the winter months and I definitely need an all season. I’m wanting it to look a bit bigger too. I plan on having a leveling kit on it but I’m not raising it any further. Looking for suggestions. Tire size and type is info I need.
5386Childs,

Here would be my recommendation for you, based on not only your parameters listed above but also having tried more than a few AT tires (and having these very tires on the truck now in a 265/70R17):

- Toyo Open Country AT3

Here is why:

1. blackwall; size-265/65R18 (a size bigger than most stock tires that came with the truck but still able to fit without a level)
2. Load Range-SL (as you will not be going off road but still more than capable tire should you want/need to)
3. Tire weight-39lbs (one of the lightest AT tires out there, for better wear & tear on the vehicle as well as performance of a "lighter" tire)
4. 3PMSF-for descent all-season performance (to include good snow traction)
5. Aggressive off road looks while being one of the surprisingly quieter AT tires

Additional information:
1. Link to websites with reviews, specs, description, etc.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/toyo-tire-open-country-a-t-iii
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=665TR8OCAT3&tab=Sizes
2. Link to a good read
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdo...ything-you-need-know-about-all-terrain-tires/

Hope this helps.

V/r
Nomad
Sponsored

Beach

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 BMW M235, Volcon Grunt
Occupation
Financial advisor
Thanks for that post and link, interesting to see Wes say don't increase size. I did a 2.5" level only via Eibach pro-truck and also have the 18" Ford wheels. I was thinking perhaps one size up from 265/60/18's to either 275/60/18's which is only 1/2" total height add and .4" width roughly. Or go to 265/65/18's would pick up just about 1" total height and no width. Sounds like you did or like the latter option going to 265/65's. Any thoughts on the additional width option too? The stocks are pretty tucked in, don't really like the spacer idea and hoping not to buy rims now too just for offset. Thanks, great post

Last edited:

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I am running Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra on mine. My truck is a '19 Lariat 4x4, but I rarely do any serious "off road" activity in it. But I will say they are very good in snow/ice conditions. My driveway is very steep, but if I lock it in low it will gently go down my driveway without a slip using these tires.
Wow, that's a very nicely rated tire! =)

Great, just when I thought I had made a decision! =D

1708552658714.png

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Yokohama Geolander. When time came to replace mine, a set of these were already on it obviously put there by the previous owner. I found them fairly good in the wet, really good in the dry, and pretty quiet on the tar, they were about half worn when I got the truck and I put another 35,000 Km on them before they were getting marginal.
So after looking around for a while and considering a number of brands, literally just happened on a really good deal on a replacement set the same. They're not super aggressive for an AT tread but I managed to get out to the remote desert and back in them last year towing a caravan, including a lot of mud when the desert unexpectedly received a few months worth of rain in a couple of days. So they're not too shabby either, even though they look just like an overgrown HT tread.

https://www.yokohama.com.au/our-range/tyres/geolandar-a-t-g015

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Understanding your wants and needs(which I am glad you understand as well BTW) I would recommend not going any bigger than a 32 inch tire. That would be a 265/65-18. It will fit even without leveling the truck BTW.

What tires to go for that are in the need and want class? I would recommend either the Michelin LTX M&S or the Firestone Destination LE3. Both are great choices for what you plan to do and are available in that size. From my 10 years in Michigan I can say the Michelin did a great job for both a Chevy Express and a Dodge Dakota that my parents had in the winter and the rest of the year.

That's my input for you

Buckbull

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Architect
I love the Grabbers that came on my Tremor. I have been surprised at how well they handle rain, snow, highway and off roading. Haven't been in the mud with them, imagine they wouldn't be great there.

From the highway to Moab they have really performed well. I think they look pretty good also.
I've been really happy with mine too. They see pavement 99% of the time though. Quiet for an AT tire and its wearing well. If I needed a MT tire I'd have Mickey Thompson Baja Boss. The technical reviews I have seen really rate these tires well.

ThatsAMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger Lariat 4x4, Triumph Bonneville T120
5386Childs,

Here would be my recommendation for you, based on not only your parameters listed above but also having tried more than a few AT tires (and having these very tires on the truck now in a 265/70R17):

- Toyo Open Country AT3

Here is why:

1. blackwall; size-265/65R18 (a size bigger than most stock tires that came with the truck but still able to fit without a level)
2. Load Range-SL (as you will not be going off road but still more than capable tire should you want/need to)
3. Tire weight-39lbs (one of the lightest AT tires out there, for better wear & tear on the vehicle as well as performance of a "lighter" tire)
4. 3PMSF-for descent all-season performance (to include good snow traction)
5. Aggressive off road looks while being one of the surprisingly quieter AT tires

Additional information:
1. Link to websites with reviews, specs, description, etc.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/toyo-tire-open-country-a-t-iii
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=Open+Country+A/T+III&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=665TR8OCAT3&tab=Sizes
2. Link to a good read
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdo...ything-you-need-know-about-all-terrain-tires/

Hope this helps.

V/r
Nomad
I'm thinking of going with these tires once my stock tires are in need to be replaced. I currently have the OME 2" lift and most likely will go with 265/65/R18 just so I'm not dealing with modifying the crash bar.
I did a brief quote through Firestone, it'll run $1.3k USD to have it installed, aligned, etc but it's lifetime alignments and tire rotations. Unfortunately, the only Discount Tire near me is in PA. 😩

Beach

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial advisor
Whoo boy! Another tire thread. :)
It's probably a more aggressive off-road tire than you are looking for, but I went with the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss in a 265/65/18. I also only have a leveling kit installed.

I did a full write-up with before/after photos etc in this thread: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...a-t-vs-falken-wildpeak-at3w.21141/post-474749
I posted a reply on your linked older post, meant to do it here. I see now the size you went to on the MT's and with the original 18's. You should have gotten about an 1" more total height but same width as the stock Hankook 265/60's right? You got more width as well? Also how did the spacers work for you originally, any concerns or issues on those? I was thinking possibly 1" spacers with slightly bigger tires as well, didn't think that would rub with a level

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I posted a reply on your linked older post, meant to do it here. I see now the size you went to on the MT's and with the original 18's. You should have gotten about an 1" more total height but same width as the stock Hankook 265/60's right? You got more width as well? Also how did the spacers work for you originally, any concerns or issues on those? I was thinking possibly 1" spacers with slightly bigger tires as well, didn't think that would rub with a level
Yes, I wound up with about 1" higher total truck height, which I consider a good thing. The MT's have a thicker sidewall design (the sidewalls protrude out farther than the Hankooks) so with the wheel spacers installed the MTs stuck out too far for my tastes. The spacers also caused the MTs to rub at full lock (I don't recall if it was left or right or both, but removing the spacers solved it). If you are willing to move your crash bars, you likely can run spacers and the MT's in the size I have with no rubbing.... barely.

I did not like how "tucked" into the wheel wells the original Hankooks were with no spacers, which is why I added spacers in the first place. Once I swapped out to the MT's though, they fit into the wheel wells with exactly the spacing I like without spacers. I think the MT's have a slightly wider tread than the Hankooks as well.

Beach

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial advisor
Yep I'm not thrilled with the tucked in look either. Tho they do get covered better by the mud flaps. I'd like an 1" or so but wasn't sure if spacers are wise or cause stress

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Yep I'm not thrilled with the tucked in look either. Tho they do get covered better by the mud flaps. I'd like an 1" or so but wasn't sure if spacers are wise or cause stress
I did not have any problems at all with my spacers and the Hankooks. Just didn't need them any more when I went to the MT's. Get a good quality spacer though - I went with these, and they are excellent quality.

NASAMARK

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
Electronics Technician
I own a 2019 Ford Ranger STX basic model. It came with the silver alloy 17” rims. Which I’m tired of looking at. I just purchased the Ford factory 18” black rims and I need advice on what tire to put on it. I like the rugged all terrain looking tires but I won’t be off roading with it. I do get snow in the area thru the winter months and I definitely need an all season. I’m wanting it to look a bit bigger too. I plan on having a leveling kit on it but I’m not raising it any further. Looking for suggestions. Tire size and type is info I need.
I have 285/60-18 General grabber atx on 18x9 +18 offset wheels. 3in lift.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Spacers are illegal over here, if you want tyres that are significantly wider, you have to get rims with more offset.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
One of the more road oriented A/T tires would be a good idea. Also check out the BFG Trail Terrain and Continental TerrainContact. All three are similar. These will give you that cool, rugged A/T look but be suited for mostly the road. Some of them are 3MP snow rated also.
I was recently faced with this dilemma replacing the original Hankooks on my '19 Lariat with 18" wheels. I mostly use my truck for skiing in the winter and towing our travel trailer in the summer, which are pretty contrary asks of a tire. I do a lot of driving on highways and interstates at 70 to 80, so highway manners were important. I don't to much serious off-roading beyond forest service roads and I really didn't want to go to the extreme of a dedicated set of winter tires.

I went with the Continental TerrainContact A/T All Terrain 265/60R18 110T Light Truck Tire. So far I've been quite pleased. They are good at highway speeds and have been competent on snow and ice. I expect them to be fine with towing.
Sponsored