My Rigid Pods Install

Gecko157

First Name
AA-Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Had some people notice and ask about my install.

This was the first mod I did. 4 pods installed below the bumper.

been running 6 months. No blockage or issues with the adaptive cruise or pre collision assist.

I used the universal mounts that came with the lights. I installed them where the push pins are for the bumper trim. Remove the pins and used the nut and bolts from the rigid kit. Very easy mod. I would recommend taking the grill out or if you have long arms the top cover and middle insert for the grill out.

Ran the wiring harness through the firewall on the passenger side, spliced the harness to lengthen it a few feet. Couldn’t find a good spot on the drivers side. The drivers side is incredibly cramped under the hood. Upped the fuse to a 30amp.

The 2 outter lights are floods and the inner set are spots. Bright AF. No issues 6 months later. Don’t be a dick and drive with these on around traffic.

My Ranger now has all of the lights, all of them

BACB4EA6-9CB8-4E4B-B9FD-82A938EAB042.jpeg

63943674-2E55-4282-9B9F-17BD17671BD7.jpeg

D0E5FBAE-1A51-4FA5-957A-DF6336881E85.jpeg
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

been running 6 months. No blockage or issues with the adaptive cruise or pre collision assist.

I used the universal mounts that came with the lights. I installed them where the push pins are for the bumper trim. Remove the pins and used the nut and bolts from the rigid kit. Very easy mod. I would recommend taking the grill out or if you have long arms the top cover and middle insert for the grill out.

Ran the wiring harness through the firewall on the passenger side, spliced the harness to lengthen it a few feet. Couldn’t find a good spot on the drivers side. The drivers side is incredibly cramped under the hood. Upped the fuse to a 30amp.

The 2 outter lights are floods and the inner set are spots. Bright AF. No issues 6 months later. Don’t be a dick and drive with these on around traffic.

Looks great! I have two in the middle but didn't think the outer ones would fit...is it tight?

Alex Bedrosian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase

I was planning on doing the same, I am now making brackets because my pods did not fit well in there that way. I am curious if your brackets are a little shorter than mine? or was it extremely tight getting them in there up and down?

OP
OP
Gecko157

Gecko157

First Name
AA-Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great! I have two in the middle but didn't think the outer ones would fit...is it tight?
Just take the grill partially or all the way out if you need to, they will fit, it’s not hard at all.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just take the grill partially or all the way out if you need to, they will fit, it’s not hard at all.
Do I have to take it off? I mean if the Rigid pod fits with the trim in place, can't I just slide the bolt up and tighten? I keep looking at it and it seems the hole is too close to the edge of the trim to fit but it looks like it clears ok on yours...

I'll find out soon as I've ordered a set of Baja S1 to replace my cornering Rigid flood pods up on my ditch bracket and these floods will hopefully go along side of the Rigid spots down in the grill exactly as you've done...

OP
OP
Gecko157

Gecko157

First Name
AA-Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was planning on doing the same, I am now making brackets because my pods did not fit well in there that way. I am curious if your brackets are a little shorter than mine? or was it extremely tight getting them in there up and down?
Not sure what lights you have. I have the standard rigid pods. They slide up and down on the bracket to change the height. I preset them maybe 3/8” from the lowest position and made sure they were all the same height and symmetrical before mounting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gecko157

Gecko157

First Name
AA-Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do I have to take it off? I mean if the Rigid pod fits with the trim in place, can't I just slide the bolt up and tighten? I keep looking at it and it seems the hole is too close to the edge of the trim to fit but it looks like it clears ok on yours...
I loosened the grill to give me room to just reach behind the work the bolts. Didn’t take it all they way out. Maybe if you know someone with small hands you can get it without messing with the grill. But it takes 10 minutes to remove the top and middle section of the grill. Just makes it easier.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I loosened the grill to give me room to just reach behind the work the bolts. Didn’t take it all they way out. Maybe if you know someone with small hands you can get it without messing with the grill. But it takes 10 minutes to remove the top and middle section of the grill. Just makes it easier.
Thanks for the tip...BTW, did you remove the lens and flip them so "Rigid" is right side up? They seal back up ok? Mine's upside down...for now lol...

Any chance you could take a close up pic of the clearance between the side of the outer pods to the trim?

OP
OP
Gecko157

Gecko157

First Name
AA-Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the tip...BTW, did you remove the lens and flip them so "Rigid" is right side up? They seal back up ok? Mine's upside down...for now lol...

Any chance you could take a close up pic of the clearance between the side of the outer pods to the trim?
Yeah I flipped them back around, so Rigid is the right way, just don’t over tighten. The screws strip easy on the lens.

Alex Bedrosian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what lights you have. I have the standard rigid pods 4”. The slide up and down on the bracket to change the height. I preset them maybe 3/8” from the lowest position and made sure they were all the same height and symmetrical before mounting.
I have the 3" pods on the bracket that lets them tilt up and down, no height adjustment,

Updates I tried last night however, it was very very tight but i got them to work! rigged up and ready to go in under 30minutes so thank you for the inspiration

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I’m interested in this. Gecko - can you provide more information on the wiring aspect? I’m assuming you installed 2 switches for these? Where did you put them and how did you wire the inside? Information (and maybe a pic or two) is appreciated.
Thanks.

OP
OP
Gecko157

Gecko157

First Name
AA-Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m interested in this. Gecko - can you provide more information on the wiring aspect? I’m assuming you installed 2 switches for these? Where did you put them and how did you wire the inside? Information (and maybe a pic or two) is appreciated.
Thanks.
I spliced them in to 1 switch. Each light pulls around 4 amps. Don’t remember the specifics but did all the math and read countless forums on rigid lights 6 months ago to make sure I wouldn’t have issues. Upped the fuse to 30amp, I think it was a 20 originally.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I spliced them in to 1 switch. Each light pulls around 4 amps. Don’t remember the specifics but did all the math and read countless forums on rigid lights 6 months ago to make sure I wouldn’t have issues. Upped the fuse to 30amp, I think it was a 20 originally.
Any closeup?:)