My perfect Ranger with an imperfect transmission...

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Looks like this is normal operation, see 5 and 6 in this user’s post. Apparently he is a Ford tech too.

Sounds like a Taco guy writing the review. Just blow the truck up then and move along!!! ?
Sponsored

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Reviewers in Australia looking at the new model with the 3litre V6 diesel tend to feel that the 10R80 has 4 gears too many for the torque curve of the engine and it would have been better served by the older 6R80 unit from previous model.
Our previous model ( your current model) comes with either the 6R80 or the 10R80 depending on the engine specified. The 4 cylinder i4 2.0 liter biturbo gets the 10R80, the 3.2 i5 or 2.2 i4 Puma diesels get the 6R80 or a 6 speed manual on special order.
The 2.2 diesel is just the i5 but under bored and missing a cylinder, it's otherwise the same engine. The 2.0 is a completely different beastie more closely related to the Mondeo and Jaguar diesels, it's torque curve does suit the 10 speed. However owners do still occasionally complain about rough shifts, hunting, and missing gears. There was a recall and TSB to update the transmission software and check for faulty oil pumps and torque convertors in the earlier examples as there was a high failure rate, particularly in the Raptor model. We don't get the ecoboost petrol engine here at all except in Mustangs.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
If I could magically build my own setup, I'd prefer an 8 or 6 speed behind the 2.3 ecoboost personally. The 8 speed out of my former Colorado ZR2 would be perfect in my mind for everyday driving. That 8 speed was nice from my experience, but I know others had issues. The 10 speed really only shines when towing in tow/haul mode in my humble opinion. In regular drive mode it skips 2 gears normally so only using 8 of the 10 99% of the time.

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
You’d think Ford would update the transmission profile considering all of the complaints.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Sounds like a Taco guy writing the review. Just blow the truck up then and move along!!! ?
In the internet age anyone can be most anything they want and be a self proclaimed expert on the subject matter of their choosing. auto mechanics, media and politicians all do well in least trusted professions. Just because a dude dresses in mechanics overalls with a Ford emblem on it doesn't mean he's legit. Had a friend who got a Colorado DOW jacket from a former employee, we were fishing at Platoro in CO, lots of shore fishermen so he puts the jacket on and walks across the dam, couldn't believe how many lines were pulled out of the water and folks and ran to their cars. More fish for us.

Last edited:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
If I could magically build my own setup, I'd prefer an 8 or 6 speed behind the 2.3 ecoboost personally. The 8 speed out of my former Colorado ZR2 would be perfect in my mind for everyday driving. That 8 speed was nice from my experience, but I know others had issues. The 10 speed really only shines when towing in tow/haul mode in my humble opinion. In regular drive mode it skips 2 gears normally so only using 8 of the 10 99% of the time.
The new Colorado I believe has 8 speeds and a 2.7T as the only engine but with 3 config levels, the highest will get you 420 lbs/ft , wonder if it skips some gears when you hammer it.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
The new Colorado I believe has 8 speeds and a 2.7T as the only engine but with 3 config levels, the highest will get you 420 lbs/ft , wonder if it skips some gears when you hammer it.
The 8 speed in the 2019 Colorado didn't skip gears, but unknown on the revised 8 speed for the 2023. They don't skip gears in the full size Silverado with the 2.7 8speed combo so they might not with the midsize either.

From what i can tell so far, they are using two versions of the 2.7. Lower trims get the old version of 2.7 and mid/upper trims get newer 2.7. The tune is only difference between mid and upper trim 2.7. Lower trim has different internals and the higher power tune can't simply be added. This won't be proven till they are produced and tuners can put eyes on them to verify.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
That's true, I wouldn't mind if the transmission skips a gear because that ratio was judged not needed for that throttle and load situation, but the issue was the way the gears were skipped, the boxes sometimes feeling like they were stuck in a neutral momentarily, and banging into the next gear. I'm pretty happy with my 6R80 it shifts smoothly and seamlessly most of the time and I like the way the convertor is always locked in forward gears as long as you are moving.

Jefain

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Military
Well, I hate to report this but Msfitoy has found it's Achilles Heal. The 10R80 has failed. With less than 1,000 miles before reaching her 100K milestone, the conditions has deteriorated to a very unreliable state that forced her to be parked until her service appointment. Which, to add insult to injury, was placed over a month ago and it's still 10 days away!!! I'm hoping there's a reasonable solution to her repair(s) which doesn't involve thousand dollar bills! Shift solenoids? Shift valve body replacement? Rebuild transmission? New transmission? Who knows. I'm just hoping to have her back to normal so we can cross that 100K mile together. She still looks brand new ☹

Here's my write up to hand over to the service department so they don't have to hear the disappointment in my voice:

2019 FORD RANGER

TRANSMISSION FAILURE REPORT:

VIN:XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Transmission operation normal up till 95,000 miles, Spring 2022. Transmission currently miss-shifts in all modes, Drive, D+tow mode, S-mode auto, and S-mode manual.​

• 1st incident: 95,000 mile. Driving away from home one day, transmission shifted from 1st to 2nd with 2 second delay and concluding with violent engagement.​
  • 2nd incident: This behavior was mitigated by lifting throttle in between 1-2nd. 7 quarts of old transmission fluid was extracted, new filter installed and 7 new quarts was added. Behavior did not immediately improve. After few thousand miles, the shifting improved and began operating mostly normal with slight miss shifts from 3rd -4th.​
  • 3rd incident: While accelerating to highway speeds, the transmission attempted to shift from 9th to 10th but began hunting between 7th and 10th causing an error code P0766 (wrench icon on), “shift solenoid “D” performance or stuck off”. I pulled off the highway and the transmission was stuck in 5th and there was evidence of transmission fluid expelled from unknown point. The fluid sprayed back and covered the drive shaft, frame, rear diff and muffler assembly. After shutting off and waiting a few minutes to restart, the transmission was operating as before and was driven home slowly. Limp mode did not come on.​
  • 4th incident: Fluid was checked and was still within specification. After cleaning the fluid from under body, the leak has not occurred since but the shifting behavior continued to worsen. Shifts from 1st to 2nd had changed from a jolt to a shudder.​
  • 5th incident: Shifts from 3rd to 4th developed a long delay and drops to 2nd before either re-engaging 4th with either a complete miss (lift throttle to re-engage), slip (rev goes up but engages) or a violent jolt/slam engagement. This causes the wrench icon to come on with instructions to “see manual”. The transmission began to stay in 4th and not shift up or down. After placing in park, noise can be heard from solenoids shifting into 1st. It also will become stuck in 7th even coming to a stop.​

The transmission's current state has deteriorated to a point where it is not possible to drive the vehicle for more than a few miles before becoming stuck in high gear. Shutting off the vehicle can sometimes correct the gear position but not always.

headbang.gif
A guys gotta wonder, how much money do we have to throw at these transmissions before Ford recoups their joint engineering endeavor with GMC? Seems Ford is doing generally better than GMC is with them, but that’s relative. Thinking I might have to buy an OBS with at 300ci I6 as a backup once I start creeping on 100k with mine. The tech is nice for day to day comfort but man did it get expensive quick! My ranger had a higher MSRP than a new King Ranch did in 2014. That wasn’t and doesn’t seem like that long ago.

3AAD29E2-F94A-4B23-9DFA-6DF945E30FCD.jpeg

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The 8 speed in the 2019 Colorado didn't skip gears, but unknown on the revised 8 speed for the 2023. They don't skip gears in the full size Silverado with the 2.7 8speed combo so they might not with the midsize either.

From what i can tell so far, they are using two versions of the 2.7. Lower trims get the old version of 2.7 and mid/upper trims get newer 2.7. The tune is only difference between mid and upper trim 2.7. Lower trim has different internals and the higher power tune can't simply be added. This won't be proven till they are produced and tuners can put eyes on them to verify.
I built and priced a new ZR2 on the website and optioning for the higher power version of the engine was less than the cost of a tuner.

Just looked again and the high output engine is a $395 option on the Trail Boss and Z71. I didn't check other trims.

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
A guys gotta wonder, how much money do we have to throw at these transmissions before Ford recoups their joint engineering endeavor with GMC? Seems Ford is doing generally better than GMC is with them, but that’s relative. Thinking I might have to buy an OBS with at 300ci I6 as a backup once I start creeping on 100k with mine. The tech is nice for day to day comfort but man did it get expensive quick! My ranger had a higher MSRP than a new King Ranch did in 2014. That wasn’t and doesn’t seem like that long ago.

3AAD29E2-F94A-4B23-9DFA-6DF945E30FCD.jpeg
I had a two 90s F350s Powerstrokes...wouldn't mind having one again...

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I built and priced a new ZR2 on the website and optioning for the higher power version of the engine was less than the cost of a tuner.
You better go down front and repent of that transgression and pray the ghost of Henry Ford forgives you!

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
All's well in the universe once again...got my baby back from the shop and everything is happy happy happy...:sun::sun::sun:

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation