Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Well they were!

I sat my keys on the tonneau cover to lift my older dog into the rear seat, and my truck ate my keys!

They slid in-between the cab and bed, as my driveway is an 11* slope, and landed on that little plate. Thank goodness I had a long enough magnetic pick up tool, or I'd have a sad afternoon getting those out.

Still not sure how to actually clean down there, i don't' have any vacuum attachments small enough to reach....

PXL_20220202_223409913.jpg
Sponsored

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a wire fish tape or one of the fiberglass ones? Maybe the top half of a fishing pole with a metal hook (coat hanger) attached? Can you get under the truck and slide a yard stick up and push it up a bit?

OP
OP
Ranger8729

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a wire fish tape or one of the fiberglass ones? Maybe the top half of a fishing pole with a metal hook (coat hanger) attached? Can you get under the truck and slide a yard stick up and push it up a bit?
I got them out with my extendable magnet like stated. Only took 2 tries lol

What made this even better was I had the truck running with the remote start. It's an XLT so i needed that key! The wife says she'd have paid to get a pic of my face when they slid off!

We had a great laugh about it, but definitely not putting things on the cover when parked on the driveway ramp!

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I got them out with my extendable magnet like stated. Only took 2 tries lol

What made this even better was I had the truck running with the remote start. It's an XLT so i needed that key! The wife says she'd have paid to get a pic of my face when they slid off!

We had a great laugh about it, but definitely not putting things on the cover when parked on the driveway ramp!
Great to hear, I hadn't seen your update when I posted

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Long-term fix is to close that gap with a flexible gasket like the tailgate stuff Truxdeo sells. That will help keep debris (and keys) out but still allow the cab and bed to flex without issue.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I had a bolt do that but, unfortunately for me, the bolt was not able to be picked up by a magnet. I lost it when I had to go to work the following day. Cost me a lot because it was a special bolt and I couldn't find a replacement at Home Depot.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Long-term fix is to close that gap with a flexible gasket like the tailgate stuff Truxdeo sells. That will help keep debris (and keys) out but still allow the cab and bed to flex without issue.
Great idea. Got pics ??

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Or buy a Lariat with push button start. No need to ever take the fob out of your pocket. ?

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I had to laugh my friend. I thought stupid chit like that only happened to me. :)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well they were!

I sat my keys on the tonneau cover to lift my older dog into the rear seat, and my truck ate my keys!

They slid in-between the cab and bed, as my driveway is an 11* slope, and landed on that little plate. Thank goodness I had a long enough magnetic pick up tool, or I'd have a sad afternoon getting those out.

Still not sure how to actually clean down there, i don't' have any vacuum attachments small enough to reach....

PXL_20220202_223409913.jpg
Hi Ashley,

This might work..... I have one for such things....do not know it if would work for you....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089Q4QHTF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
Ranger8729

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
OOOO...I like that idea!! :like: I will have to remember that.