First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1965 Mustang
Occupation
Selling Stuff
I have in my past 1992 Ranger had a plastic bed-liner and swore at that time to never have one again. My 2004 Ranger I had a Line-X sprayed in and it was bullet proof and took a beating, loved it.
My 2019 Ranger had a Plastic Liner installed by the dealer and I did not want it so they deducted the cost but let me take it and I got my own sprayed in and feel that is a much better option to the Plastic Liners and I removed the Plastic liner at 3,500 miles to get a spray liner installed.
My Beef with the Plastic liner is first items being hauled in the bed tend to slide a lot. Good if you want to move things bad if you do not want items to move.
Second is the damage caused inside of the bed. My 1992 Ranger with the Plastic Liner I would annually pull out the liner and sand and repaint areas that the liner shifting had worn through the paint. I had also applied grease to the friction areas to help prevent the wear but found that just collected dirt and accelerated the issue. In the end after 12 Ohio winters the bed rusted through. I did run a Cap on the bed probably 90% of the time so it actually was not totally exposed to weather but some spots rusted from the top others from the bottom so I would only credit the top rust damage to the liner as the worn spots were the rusty spots.
Last issue while minor it just seals the deal is the plastic tends to not leave as much room in the bed. Plastic Liners do not follow every little contour and curve so the result is space behind the liner that cannot be used.
Did I mention the water the Plastic Liner Retains? Gallons and Gallons and yes it mostly drains out the back while driving but to have to move the vehicle to drain it in order to load items is rather nonsense assuming the water has not froze!
See the attached pictures of my 2019 at the time of removing the plastic liner at only 3,500 miles it has worn through the paint into the Primer at many locations and was probably going through the Primer to base metal soon. Note as well the fine dirt / dust collected under the liner acting as a sandpaper to cause wear.
I understand the Bed is made of aluminum and would not have a typical rust scenario but aluminum does corrode under a number of conditions so the question I did not want to experience is how fast it would degrade?
That is just my thoughts and experience and I appreciate your opinions and experience as well.

IMG_6110.JPG
IMG_6113.JPG

IMG_6114.JPG
IMG_6115.JPG
Sponsored

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My truck also came with the plastic liner. I have yet to put anything back there to make me glad to have it. I too see myself taking it out for the spray on in the near future.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The bed is not aluminum, it is steel. The only parts that are aluminum on the Ranger are the front fenders, hood and tailgate. The rest is all steel.

OP
OP

Mr.Mel

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1965 Mustang
Occupation
Selling Stuff
Hey thanks for the clarification on the steel bed it makes the decision even more valid.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Plastic liners are great mostly if you're often sliding things in and out that you actually want to slide. (Sliding on spray in sucks.) If that's not your thing, pass.

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
I put a rubber mat in mine with plastic on the gate, I don’t really ever have anything against the walls so I’m not worried about them as much

Jgarrett

First Name
jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
FBI
I like my plastic liner for a couple of reasons. First, they're friction less so sliding cargo in/out is easy. Second, they're disposable/replaceable. Third, if I later choose to spray line the bed, any marring is inconsequential as the spray will cover all =)

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
Had plastic liner for 29 years in my 90 Ranger , never rusted under it only had minor scuffing under it . Dirt hosed out of it with ease . Now I have Linex no beefs except tough to get leftover leaves and sand out of bed . Strong water hose stream is the only way . Easy to keep tonneau closed then no one sees it .
Sponsored