Anyone with any experience with installing rails on top of the cab?

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow pkg, Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau cover, Rhino Liner, Lift Gate Assist, Ford black running boards
Occupation
IT technician, retired soldier (11B, 19D)
I'm thinking about installing rails to the cab top to install a cargo basket for light gear, etc.
Thule has a product here:
https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-ra...and-accessories/thule-top-tracks-42-_-6238999

And Yakima's product is here:
https://www.amazon.com/YAKIMA-Tracks-CapNuts-Roof-Systems/dp/B07YVN236L
And while several vendors on eBay claim compatibility for the Australian/European Ranger roof rails, (and they look great) I'm not sure I want to go that route.
Anyone out there already have experience with installing one of these systems to the roof of your Ranger?
Sponsored

Don B.

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
So far, no experience. But I am excited to have the Rhinorack ready to go on my Super Crew.
http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/prod...lt600-trackmount-black-2-bar-roof-rack_ja6180
It looks like an excellent, very clean design. I have used the Yakima Tracks on my Honda Pilot roof before but you have to do your own detective work to be sure you are not near a side curtain air bag, etc. Rhinorack has already done that work.
I ordered mine from Rack Attack - excellent folks to deal with and much cheaper that MSRP.
I am waiting for nice weather to fall on a Saturday for the install. I will report back with my results.

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 XLT FX4 S Cab, FX4, 301A, Tow, Technology
Somewhere there is a video of installing roof rack tracks on a US Ranger like the Aus version (Rhinorack?). I would think you can use any universal track, after all the roof was designed for one but in the US it's covered up with a plastic strip. I want to do this come spring..

Don B.

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Somewhere there is a video of installing roof rack tracks on a US Ranger like the Aus version (Rhinorack?). I would think you can use any universal track, after all the roof was designed for one but in the US it's covered up with a plastic strip. I want to do this come spring..
The Rhinorack website has an installation video.
Note that the the'groove' in the roof that has the plastic strip in it has a slight curve to it. The tracks that I received are curved to match that. So I am pretty stoked about the thought that went into this design.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen that...it involves cutting and rivenuts:)

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 XLT FX4 S Cab, FX4, 301A, Tow, Technology
The Rhinorack website has an installation video.
Note that the the'groove' in the roof that has the plastic strip in it has a slight curve to it. The tracks that I received are curved to match that. So I am pretty stoked about the thought that went into this design.
Do you have a link or a price from Rack Attack? I can't believe how much Rhino, Thule and Yakima get for a simple system that's basically extruded aluminum tracks and bars.

Also does anyone know if the Rhino tracks work with other bases? My topper came with universal tracks that work with Thule and Yakima so I want to stay with that.

A possible cheaper option are tracks from a 1st gen Escape. I know Jeep guys have used them. They are steel and flexible enough to fit the Ranger roof contour. Last time I got some they were free from a u-pick junkyard. They fit Yakima bases perfectly.

Don B.

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Do you have a link or a price from Rack Attack? I can't believe how much Rhino, Thule and Yakima get for a simple system that's basically extruded aluminum tracks and bars.
Also does anyone know if the Rhino tracks work with other bases? My topper came with universal tracks that work with Thule and Yakima so I want to stay with that.
A possible cheaper option are tracks from a 1st gen Escape. I know Jeep guys have used them. They are steel and flexible enough to fit the Ranger roof contour. Last time I got some they were free from a u-pick junkyard. They fit Yakima bases perfectly.
They don't show them on their website so I believe I first emailed the Rhinorack link to Rack Attack and inquired. I've dealt with Rack Attack many times and they are my 'go to'. Excellent service, support, AND prices. They got back to me and hooked me up.
With their free shipping, I paid $397.60 for the system. The pop-rivet fasteners are included for fastening to the roof. I was a little skeptical of those so I am going to install rivnuts in the roof first and then bolt the tracks with those. I am familiar with those and have used them before. The pop-rivets are probably fine but I have been known to expect ALOT from my racks.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Don B.

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Finally got a chance to get these racks on.
20200310_171934(0).jpg

These Rhino racks are very well designed. I used plusnut fasteners rather than the supplied poprivets. I really don't think the poprivets could tighten it down well enough since you are compressing some grey foam strips.
I had them substitute 59" bars in lieu of the standard 54" bars.
I can't lie. Drilling all those holes in the roof is always frightening. Oddly, one of the holes ruined a drill bit. Not sure if it was on a weld or what made that particular spot that hard.

jlarrabee104

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Would you be able to post photos closer up to the roof... this has my attention now! LOOKS GREAT!!

Finally got a chance to get these racks on.
20200310_171934(0).jpg

These Rhino racks are very well designed. I used plusnut fasteners rather than the supplied poprivets. I really don't think the poprivets could tighten it down well enough since you are compressing some grey foam strips.
I had them substitute 59" bars in lieu of the standard 54" bars.
I can't lie. Drilling all those holes in the roof is always frightening. Oddly, one of the holes ruined a drill bit. Not sure if it was on a weld or what made that particular spot that hard.

OP
OP
Mike in UT

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow pkg, Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau cover, Rhino Liner, Lift Gate Assist, Ford black running boards
Occupation
IT technician, retired soldier (11B, 19D)
That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm talking about. What Rhino Rack part numbers did you use, if you please?

Don B.

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm talking about. What Rhino Rack part numbers did you use, if you please?
This is what I got from Rack Attack:
MiscItem: Rhino - RR Tracks - RTS525
Rhino-Rack Quick Mount Leg x4
Rhino-Rack Quick Mount Base Wedge 10mm
Rhino-Rack Quick Mount Base Wedge 5mm
Rhino-Rack Vortex Bar Black 59 inch
I think the total price was actually $587.60
The stock system from Rhino includes 54 inch bars. I just made sure Rack Attack provided the 59 inch bars. One of the reps I spoke to said he couldn't "guarantee that the 59's would work" but I can tell you that they do.
Rhino's instructions were generally good.
I used 10-24 Plusnuts instead of the Poprivets supplied. Those Plusnuts required a 9/32 drill bit.
Drilling that many holes in a new truck roof was somewhat nerve-racking. :whew:

jlarrabee104

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
How is the wind noise? The previous vehicles I had racks on needed that deflector to keep it from howling.
Sponsored