Music! No CD Player... But A USB Port. Can I transfer my CD's to a Thumbdrive?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Be easy on me... I'm not very Hi Tech.

Thanks in advance guys. We live in the mountains of Colorado... FM reception is spotty at best.. and I don;t want to pay for Sirius XM when I have a ton of CD's at my disposal for free

I had 8-track tapes in the 70's... I still have some cassettes from the 70's through the 1980's... and I have hundreds of CD's.

How would I transfer the CD's to the thumb drive? Create directories on the thumb drive for each CD or ?

So if I transfer CD's onto a thumb drive can I listen to the CD's in my Ranger XL by plugging the thumb drive into the Rangers USB Port?

Can I select the music on the thumb drive I want to listen to?

Sponsored

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
You'll need to find CD ripping software for your computer system. The only program I used created the directories and even went looking for album art. After that, just copy and paste to your thumb drive. Once it's all on the thumb drive it should behave exactly like a CD when it's plugged into the truck. It'll take a few minutes per CD, but it's not a terrible process once you learn how to do the first one.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Itunes can do that for you...I have a 500gb thumb drive loaded with most of my collection and plugged into one of the two Sync port...works like a charm...don't miss the CD drive a bit...

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
You'll need to find CD ripping software for your computer system. The only program I used created the directories and even went looking for album art. After that, just copy and paste to your thumb drive. Once it's all on the thumb drive it should behave exactly like a CD when it's plugged into the truck. It'll take a few minutes per CD, but it's not a terrible process once you learn how to do the first one.
Thanks.

One thing I've noticed in the Ranger is even after you turn off the radio... and turn off the truck... the light on the thumb drive keeps blinking?

Do you just yank the thumb drive out of the USB port while it's blinking... I was taught that can corrupt the thumb drive? Any way to shut it down like you do on a computer?

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Thanks.

One thing I've noticed in the Ranger is even after you turn off the radio... and turn off the truck... the light on the thumb drive keeps blinking?

Do you just yank the thumb drive out of the USB port while it's blinking... I was taught that can corrupt the thumb drive? Any way to shut it down like you do on a computer?
I don't have my Ranger yet, but on my Colorado I just leave the thumb drive plugged in. Personally, I've never corrupted anything on a thumb drive, but I suppose it could happen if you were in the middle of writing to it. I doubt doubt you'll ever have a problem taking it out while it's blinking in your truck.

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
This info was just what I needed. I had no idea I could just use a thumb-drive loaded with mp3's and the vehicle would recognize it. Appreciated!

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
This info was just what I needed. I had no idea I could just use a thumb-drive loaded with mp3's and the vehicle would recognize it. Appreciated!
And that's what I love about forums like this... and why I tend to lead with my chin and ask questions that might seem silly to some folks.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
When you first load the thumb drive it will index everything. Probably best to leave it alone while it's doing that. After a while it should be done.

Last edited:

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks.

You can just take it out, it shouldn't give any issues (you can do this on a computer as well, by the way.. they suggest not doing it, but it's perfectly fine - as long as you're not writing anything to or from the drive, in which case it would be interrupted (this is why they suggest not doing it) the Ranger shouldn't be writing anything to the drive, just reading, so you'll be fine).

But, you can also just leave it in. It may blink for a bit, but it should stop after (I think) 20 minutes when the interior power shuts off.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Be easy on me... I'm not very Hi Tech.

Thanks in advance guys. We live in the mountains of Colorado... FM reception is spotty at best.. and I don;t want to pay for Sirius XM when I have a ton of CD's at my disposal for free

I had 8-track tapes in the 70's... I still have some cassettes from the 70's through the 1980's... and I have hundreds of CD's.

How would I transfer the CD's to the thumb drive? Create directories on the thumb drive for each CD or ?

So if I transfer CD's onto a thumb drive can I listen to the CD's in my Ranger XL by plugging the thumb drive into the Rangers USB Port?

Can I select the music on the thumb drive I want to listen to?

Microsoft media player if you have a PC, just rip your cd's to your pc then copy the songs you want to your thumb drive. I would get the largest capacity in the smallest package you can find so you don't run the risk of breaking it by dropping something into that cubby hole and snapping a long one off. I've been running a thumb drive of songs since 2010 and love it. Set it for random shuffle and cruise on down the road.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
All great ideas...been ripping music since yesterday afternoon.:fingerscrossed:

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
FYI, if Gracenotes mixes up artist names, etc. you can always shut off GN management in the Media Player settings. I've done that as some of my lesser known artists link up with another one in the database so the artist name displayed ends up wrong.
Sponsored