Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it's not a Ranger, but at least it's a Ford :)

I picked this up Thanksgiving weekend. '88 Mustang LX 5.0, 5-speed Coupe. I have big plans for this car and I will continue this build thread, if it's allowed and if anyone's interested in seeing more? It seems like the majority of the popular Mustang forums are all 99% dead...
404590634_1334955487132069_2236320581364179735_n.jpg
Sponsored

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I was never a fan of the Fox bodies, but that one looks nice and clean.

OP
OP
Mirage775

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
I was never a fan of the Fox bodies, but that one looks nice and clean.
Thanks! I like all sorts of cars & trucks, but I grew up with the Fox bodies, along with 80's Vette's, Firebird's, Camaro's, etc., and this is only my 2nd one in almost 20 years since I owned a '93 GT! I know a lot of people use them for drag racing, especially in the US, but that won't be this ones' fate. I actually never cared for the Coupe/Notchback Fox Body until a couple of years ago, when I couldn't find a nice 87-93 GT, there were a lot of 87-93 Coupes and I started liking that body style :) And they're all getting expensive now, so, I found this one on Facebook and decided to get it. I drove it home about 2-2.5 hours, with original intentions of rebuilding the engine, but I have decided to just buy a built, Dart block Stroker 347 :)
image001.jpg

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Love it! Thats THE car for me. Fox body notch-back 5.0. Maybe the convertible…. My GF in high school had a 92. The first year for the nicer headlights too. I always liked the side profile, where you could see about three feet of tail-pipe. I wish the interior was a little nicer though. And this year looks good with any of the factory wheels. Are those the SVO?

Definitely interested in following a build.

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
I want to see what your plans are and how it develops. I have two fox bodies. An 85 Merc Capri 5.0 has 30,000 miles on it. I am the third owner. I have an 84 Merc Capri I bought new. and it has 50,000 miles on it..

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
nice find! it looks to be in clean shape esp for age. i didnt appreciate the fox body cars when they were current but they have slowly grown on me over the decades. more so than the gm offerings of the same era.

OP
OP
Mirage775

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
Love it! Thats THE car for me. Fox body notch-back 5.0. Maybe the convertible…. My GF in high school had a 92. The first year for the nicer headlights too. I always liked the side profile, where you could see about three feet of tail-pipe. I wish the interior was a little nicer though. And this year looks good with any of the factory wheels. Are those the SVO?

Definitely interested in following a build.
They are indeed SVO wheels, '03 Cobra to be exact! After owning both a GT and an LX now, I definitely agree with you on the exhaust! Plus the car just looks so much cleaner than the GT. I liked all the 80s/90s "ground effects" when I was a kid, but now not so much...

I want to see what your plans are and how it develops. I have two fox bodies. An 85 Merc Capri 5.0 has 30,000 miles on it. I am the third owner. I have an 84 Merc Capri I bought new. and it has 50,000 miles on it..
Cool, I'll try to post my pics tonight. It definitely looks a lot different now, haha! I know these odometers only go to 5 digits, but looking at the car, I honestly think it only has 70k miles on it, instead of 170k'ish miles, like most would assume!

nice find! it looks to be in clean shape esp for age. i didnt appreciate the fox body cars when they were current but they have slowly grown on me over the decades. more so than the gm offerings of the same era.
I always liked them when I was a kid, but my dad was a Chevy guy, so that's pretty much all I could have, when learning how to drive. I always wanted a Fox though, but they were way out of my price range when I was 16 and they were still in production back then! I'm now almost 50 and the prices are getting insane on them, so I grabbed it before it got higher!

ranger 2020

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020ranger 22 Ecosport 21 Honda PCX
Occupation
retired
I was working at Ford stores during the Fox years. Those 5.0 Mustangs were a hell of a car for the money. Had a guy order one, got a notchback, 5.0, 5 speed, and premium sound sound system. nothing that hindered straight line performance. It ran very well. I wouldn't mind owning one myself, only with a bored/stroked 351 Windsor. I think that would be a killer combo.

Dpg123

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
CDL holder
Love me some fox bodies especially the coupe. My pal had a 93 coupe thru high school. Then we turned it into a 8th mile drag car. Put a 351 with a blower in it. Fckn car was fast…..5.50 8ths was what he could run. We put a lot of work into that car….he no longer has it and regrets ever getting rid of it. I begged him not to get rid of it at the time…..Im in for your build! Looking forward to it!

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
80% of the vehicles I have owned in the last 40 years were Ford, they have all served me well, I had an Explorer with that engine and a 6 speed, it got me 283k hard miles before it gave up LOL, the one before that was a sport trac all the way back to a 72 Comet when I was 16 with the factory hood scoop
probably why by now the rangers have become a Cult more than a car, we will see where Ford is going good or bad in the next few years if they stay a good company or not
1703705430246.png

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Thanks! I like all sorts of cars & trucks, but I grew up with the Fox bodies, along with 80's Vette's, Firebird's, Camaro's, etc., and this is only my 2nd one in almost 20 years since I owned a '93 GT! I know a lot of people use them for drag racing, especially in the US, but that won't be this ones' fate. I actually never cared for the Coupe/Notchback Fox Body until a couple of years ago, when I couldn't find a nice 87-93 GT, there were a lot of 87-93 Coupes and I started liking that body style :) And they're all getting expensive now, so, I found this one on Facebook and decided to get it. I drove it home about 2-2.5 hours, with original intentions of rebuilding the engine, but I have decided to just buy a built, Dart block Stroker 347 :)
image001.jpg
Very nice!

Dpg123

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CDL holder
And yea the prices for fox bodies are insane now…..it seems ones that are for sale are convertibles and that’s a no go for me……anything decent is priced way too high imo. But people are paying those prices for them so I guess it’s warranted?

OP
OP
Mirage775

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
And yea the prices for fox bodies are insane now…..it seems ones that are for sale are convertibles and that’s a no go for me……anything decent is priced way too high imo. But people are paying those prices for them so I guess it’s warranted?
I paid low teens for it and was told by an aftermarket Mustang parts company in CA, that my car would bring close to $30k as is! That's silly!

Dpg123

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CDL holder
Are you not in the states? Yea a lot of fox bodies went to drag racing which ultimately led to a bunch of ‘chopped stangs’ that aren’t anywhere close stock

edit-Just looked back at some of your posts. You are in the US. Your one reply to another post had me thinking otherwise
Sponsored

Last edited: