Mesh networking, need some advice

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
You'd probably do with two Ubiquiti AC-AP-LR units wired to a 8-port PoE switch. Throw in a dream machine to replace the routers and act as controller. About 700-1000$ get's you covered.
Sponsored

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking to upgrade the wireless signal at my home in preparation for installing wireless security cams and was told that mesh networking is the way to go.
Currently I've 1 Netgear wireless router with 5 ethernet outputs of which one output feeds a Linksys router for a total of 9 wired ethernet ports throughout the house. Wireless reception as it is now is very spotty.
I am reasonably certain I can replace the Netgear router with a mesh unit and retain the amount of wired ethernet ports, does anyone concur?
My home is about 4K sq. feet under the roof, including a second floor area, of single wall construction and the cable modem/router setup is in a corner of the structure.
Can anyone offer suggestions/advice as to what I would need for full coverage? A particular brand they can recommend?
Thanks!
https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
x2
I have M5s and M9s in my Home network. Great bang for the buck.
I have mine setup with wired back-haul as the M5s split 5Ghz between back-haul and WiFi.
Set my wife's pre-school up with Netgear Orbi. Also very good. And had a dedicated 5GHz back-haul.

You can spend alot of money on mesh networks that support WiFi6, but unless you have devices (phoes. laptops, streaming devices, etc) that support WiFi6 better to wait and buy it when price comes down.

I always stay ~a generation behind as I am cheap!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
My home network is setup with Ubiquiti. 2 AP’s that run off a POE switch. Have cameras, doorbell and 5TB controller for storage. Think the whole setup with firewall was around $650. WiFi on 2.4 and 5ghz with roaming. Outside the house still can connect 50 feet away in any direction. Very happy with it and runs flawlessly

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the 3 pack eero at Bestbuy in December. It's wifi 6, very fast both upload and download and signal strength. I have the main hub in the living room by the router, then I ran ethernet in the attic to 2 rooms same wall, wife's office and MBR. The 3rd one is in my detached garage, I have a tv with Roku way in the back plus a wifi plug in camera and it works great. Better than anything I've ever had. I know that the eero like other mfgrs can all connect via wifi but I didn't want any speed drop for my wife's office, she runs the PC systems for a local Hospital and she has hourly calls and zoom meetings so I wanted her to be able to plug into the eero next to her.the ethernet comes into her room then into an unmanaged switch (splitter) and she can plug both her work phone and internet into it.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Update on my original post:

I decided to go with an Asus ET8 mesh system consisting of 2 nodes, one of them is the main router, the other is a wired backhaul node, the system has been in use for 2 or so years now.
The router feeds a TP Link unmanaged 16 port switch with 10 dedicated Cat6 ethernet cables running throughout my home.

All told I've approximately 62 smart devices, ranging from smart bulbs, plugs and switches to 8 Echo devices, not to mention Wyze 6 wifi cams.To say that I've embraced smart home technology is an understatement, I've an Alexa routine which consists of 18 actions.

The system operated flawlessly until 2 weeks ago, I had unwisely set my networking system to update firmware automatically, evidently Asus released a firmware version which caused all sorts of problems, including dropped wireless connections and both the router and node LED status indicators to go crazy.

Rolling the firmware back on both units cast out the demons within, I find it incredible that Asus would release firmware (it wasn't Beta either) which essentially bricked my system, I've since disabled the automatic update feature.

On a side note, Comcast/Spectrum is trying their hardest to have me upgrade my internet speed from 60 Mbps to 300, with a resulting increase in my monthly cable bill, which is ridiculous as it is.

I am perfectly happy with the claimed "up to 60 Mbps" service as it is...

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Update on my original post:

I decided to go with an Asus ET8 mesh system consisting of 2 nodes, one of them is the main router, the other is a wired backhaul node, the system has been in use for 2 or so years now.
The router feeds a TP Link unmanaged 16 port switch with 10 dedicated Cat6 ethernet cables running throughout my home.

All told I've approximately 62 smart devices, ranging from smart bulbs, plugs and switches to 8 Echo devices, not to mention Wyze 6 wifi cams.To say that I've embraced smart home technology is an understatement, I've an Alexa routine which consists of 18 actions.

The system operated flawlessly until 2 weeks ago, I had unwisely set my networking system to update firmware automatically, evidently Asus released a firmware version which caused all sorts of problems, including dropped wireless connections and both the router and node LED status indicators to go crazy.

Rolling the firmware back on both units cast out the demons within, I find it incredible that Asus would release firmware (it wasn't Beta either) which essentially bricked my system, I've since disabled the automatic update feature.

On a side note, Comcast/Spectrum is trying their hardest to have me upgrade my internet speed from 60 Mbps to 300, with a resulting increase in my monthly cable bill, which is ridiculous as it is.

I am perfectly happy with the claimed "up to 60 Mbps" service as it is...
The background on why they want you to upgrade is your cable modem is probably using an old standard and in order for them to get the whole node to the newer standard they need all old cable modems off the network. The issue is to keep you at 60m in the old standard uses the same cable bandwidth that you would use at 300mbps on the new standards.

I’m a network engineer, and I 100% avoid mesh like the plague. There are places in which it’s ok, but it’s easier for me to configure a Cisco dual radio ap as a a bridge and deploy clients on the unused radio. Cables for everything that has a port is my MO.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The background on why they want you to upgrade is your cable modem is probably using an old standard and in order for them to get the whole node to the newer standard they need all old cable modems off the network. The issue is to keep you at 60m in the old standard uses the same cable bandwidth that you would use at 300mbps on the new standards.

I’m a network engineer, and I 100% avoid mesh like the plague. There are places in which it’s ok, but it’s easier for me to configure a Cisco dual radio ap as a a bridge and deploy clients on the unused radio. Cables for everything that has a port is my MO.
I am definitely not a network engineer, but if the system works, why screw with it?

One does not need to be an engineer to appreciate that, besides I don't have an additional $600 to spend each year for bandwidth which I will never use.

Furthermore, I own my current modem, an Arris SURFboard SB6190 which is on Spectrum's current list of approved modems for service up to 500 Mbps.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I am definitely not a network engineer, but if the system works, why screw with it?

One does not need to be an engineer to appreciate that, besides I don't have an additional $600 to spend each year for bandwidth which I will never use.

Furthermore, I own my current modem, an Arris SURFboard SB6190 which is on Spectrum's current list of approved modems for service up to 500 Mbps.
I get it on the extra cost. That modem is actually fine, but spectrum is trying for docsis 3.1 which is good for 10gbps. It’s a massive improvement for their network without changing any of the cables on the poles. With docsis 3.0 supporting maximums in the 4-500mbps range you can see why they are trying to move everyone to faster stuff.

My first rule of networking is “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. Rule number two is “wireless mesh: not even once”, so you are safely covered by rule #1 in this case.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I get it on the extra cost. That modem is actually fine, but spectrum is trying for docsis 3.1 which is good for 10gbps. It’s a massive improvement for their network without changing any of the cables on the poles. With docsis 3.0 supporting maximums in the 4-500mbps range you can see why they are trying to move everyone to faster stuff.

My first rule of networking is “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. Rule number two is “wireless mesh: not even once”, so you are safely covered by rule #1 in this case.
Well, my Asus mesh system has worked just fine for me, except for a recent glitch which was actually caused by the manufacturer's firmware, not the hardware itself.

A visit to a network forum quickly revealed that malady, as well the resolution.

As long as my smart devices remain connected and function as intended, I am able to stream audio/video content reliably and surf the internet, I'll be happy...

mokupilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 DeeZee Lariat Tremor, 09 Escape Limited
Occupation
Heavy aluminum tube logistics and transportation ✈
Well, my Asus mesh system has worked just fine for me, except for a recent glitch which was actually caused by the manufacturer's firmware, not the hardware itself.

A visit to a network forum quickly revealed that malady, as well the resolution.

As long as my smart devices remain connected and function as intended, I am able to stream audio/video content reliably and surf the internet, I'll be happy...
Asus AI Mesh here too. So far so good but I appreciate the heads up. ?

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Asus AI Mesh here too. So far so good but I appreciate the heads up. ?
Howzit!

I strongly urge you to go into your Asus system's settings via the web based GUI and disable the automatic firmware update option for all the devices in your system.

I was prepared to "opalacize" my entire system until I stumbled upon a networking forum describing the problem and remedy.

Aloha!

mokupilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 DeeZee Lariat Tremor, 09 Escape Limited
Occupation
Heavy aluminum tube logistics and transportation ✈
Howzit!

I strongly urge you to go into your Asus system's settings via the web based GUI and disable the automatic firmware update option for all the devices in your system.

I was prepared to "opalacize" my entire system until I stumbled upon a networking forum describing the problem and remedy.

Aloha!
Gotcha, will do. Mahalo for the kokua.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Just replaced my ancient Lynksys router today with latest level TP Link. Straight forward until it came to the blink camera system....confounding but I finally got it done by deleting the Sync Module and resetting it and reinstalling it... Now have the increased security of latest designs.

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Folks,

Just replaced my ancient Lynksys router today with latest level TP Link. Straight forward until it came to the blink camera system....confounding but I finally got it done by deleting the Sync Module and resetting it and reinstalling it... Now have the increased security of latest designs.

Best,
Phil
I've had good service with my Asus system, except for a firmware glitch 2 weeks ago, it's been capable of handling my approximately 62 smart devices (and counting) to date.

My security system consists of Reolink Poe and both Wyze and Blink Wi-Fi cams, I dislike the Blinks because of the limited amount of time of being able to monitor live footage, whereas the Wyze cams is unlimited because it uses my LAN instead of WAN.

Turns out Asus had released a firmware update which caused all sorts of problems, I find it incredible that they would release such a program without it being thoroughly tested first.

I was ready to can the system until I stumbled upon an online networking forum in which many others were experiencing the exact same issues I was. The resolution was to rollback the firmware to the previous version and to de-select the automatic firmware option.

I can't help but thinking that this may be an underhanded ploy on Asus's part to sell more products...
Sponsored