TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
3E490FCC-FB80-40D4-B1D5-80D244981737.jpeg
Just buy a nice MX5 and get all the shifting you desire and leave the truck alone.
Nice 94-96 NA Miata! Looks like you've added vent rings, white gauge plates, roll bar, low profile tires, and is that a trailer hitch peeking out from under the rear?. Are the wheels stock (I see the Mazda center cap on the wheels)? I think 15" was standard back then. I've got the 15" BBS wheels from the '95 M Edition on my '93 LE.
Sponsored

Yama_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor Soon 2021 APG Ranger
Sounds like a killer project! Donā€™t listen to the haters. Arguing that the 10 spd is technologically superior and therefore the best choice completely ignores the value in the connected experience only a manual can provide. I for one love my Ranger but am only just tolerant of the 10 spd.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Sounds like a killer project! Donā€™t listen to the haters. Arguing that the 10 spd is technologically superior and therefore the best choice completely ignores the value in the connected experience only a manual can provide. I for one love my Ranger but am only just tolerant of the 10 spd.
I saw a beautiful red Tacoma yesterday ( and I am not a fan of the last gen version of the Taco). We pulled up behind the guy and my wife jumped out the car and tapped his window just to tell him how much I liked it!

He grinned, and replied, "It has the 6 speed manual too!"

That truck was spotless and had tasteful mods. But I absolutely hate being inside the cab of the latest model.

I have a feeling that guy will be driving his 6 speed Taco long after my 2020 Ranger has been relegated to the virtual dust bin.

Yama_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor Soon 2021 APG Ranger
Ha! Iā€™m a long time Toyota fan having owned 3 4-runners, an 82 pickup, 87 FJ60, and currently own an ā€˜02 Taco with a 5 spd. The amount of joy I get out of that old Taco is beyond rational. But I love itā€™s buzzing and whirling mechanical sounds and that sense of deliberate action driving a manual provides.

The Ranger is a mechanical marvel by comparison. So refined, so powerful. Mine is highly modified. Still, itā€™s difficult to engage with it at the sae level.

Thereā€™s a reason why the manual is making a comeback (sorta). Itā€™s not MPG or 1/4 mile times, reliability, or engineering superiority. Itā€™s because the best measure of the value of these machines is the way they make us feel.

A perfectly executed heel-toe downshift. Thatā€™s a pinnacle experience.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ranger XLT spacecab
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
OP is long since gone, but in case anyone else was wanting to try this you'd be better off stealing the manual out of an EU spec 6G Ranger, as the North American 5G is essentially on the 6G's frame with in the 5G's length.

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
I have been looking on this subject and so far confirmed that the ROTW Ranger uses the same Getrag MT-82 that is used on the 2.3 US Mustang, so no worries mating one to our Ranger's motor. Same goes for the transfer case used; it's the same worldwide, and Ford is not going to create a logistical nightmare of different bolt patterns on the same engine block...it's the same. There may be a different mating collar between manual/auto models but that's another thing. Also, while changing oil and inspecting my truck underneath, I saw the big rubber plug on top of the driveshaft tunnel where the shift stick would go through into the cab. The clutch link is hydraulic, and I bet there is a dimple in the firewall where the ROTW clutch slave cylinder goes through....

What could be tricky is the cabling for the button cluster and 4wd switch, which are in a different spot (the 4wd switch is smaller and lacks the TM button) in the center console top trim panel. As for the computer, I think I already mentioned that I noticed on FORSCAN that there is a choice to select manual or auto on the PCM/TCM section, which, I assume just enables/disables the TCM and throttle mapping associated with.

We, and I mean "they" seem to make it a big stink to install a simpler, cheaper and more reliable in the long run, transmission just for the sake of charging you more money for a product that so far has shown to be more prone to fail as opposed to some knucklehead burning a clutch or breaking a shift linkage

Reactions: TJC

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I think it should be quite possible, the electronics would be the hardest part I think, the LHD non-US parts should be fine for the mechanical stuff, trans, T case, pedals, console.

You just need a contact in one of those countries for sourcing the parts, it wouldn't be cheap, but it would be a great upgrade.

I hate the 10 speed, I thought I hated the 7 speed in my old F150, I like it better than this 10 speed.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Late to the conversation, but wouldn't the 7 speed manual from the Bronco be the best fit?

The Bronco engine is the same and I believe the transfer case is too, excepting maybe the auto-4x4 case.

It should bolt in and you can likely use the Bronco pedals as well since they are the same platform.

Then just the fun of getting the electronics to play nicely with each other.

Now I need to go find a manual trans Bronco and take a test drive, just to see/feel what it would be like...

TomSim

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
Does anyone know if the 7A195 transfer case will match up to a 6 speed manual mustang transmission (obviously would be preā€ matched to a 2.3 turbo). The transfer case is mechanical so I suppose the most on that end other than an adapter plate, may have to change the t case input shaft.
I can figure out the clutch and accessories on my own, may need help with disconnecting the TCM and removing it from the main computer.
Ford for whatever reason has decided to not repond to my emails.
Any legit knowledge is appreciated!
I too would have bought this truck with a Manuel tranny, that's why I'm looking to buy a Bronco with the 2.3 and the stick

TomSim

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
I think it should be quite possible, the electronics would be the hardest part I think, the LHD non-US parts should be fine for the mechanical stuff, trans, T case, pedals, console.

You just need a contact in one of those countries for sourcing the parts, it wouldn't be cheap, but it would be a great upgrade.

I hate the 10 speed, I thought I hated the 7 speed in my old F150, I like it better than this 10 speed.
knock on wood I haven't had any issues with the ten speed and the Ford Tuner software but I'm sure I'm on borrowed time judging by the lawsuits and complaints about this tranny. I have 60k and haven't touched any fluids other than regular oil changes

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
It is rather fitting this thread pops up with all the 10 speed failing threads these days....
Sponsored