Lower grille insert

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
For those of you who installed the Putco lower grill insert, what size fasteners did you use in the license plate bracket?

I tried license plate screws, and those didn't seem to fit. Using a thread checker, it seemed like the threads in the bracket are either M5 or M6. Thanks!

I used the ones that came with the truck and were in a baggy in the glove box.
Sponsored

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
Installed he Putco “grill” a few weeks ago.

BA71F828-763E-4D0C-97E1-B6854DD2F2A9.jpeg

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
1 . i ordered ABS plastic grill off Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BR0OEOE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and
Plastruct A-8 Angle,1/4" (4), PLS90006 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006O09Z6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. I cut a template from cardboard to have the opening size and reduce the size by 1/16" top and bottom for the plastic angle. I then sanded to grill to precisely fit the opening.

3. Remove the license plate holder.

4. I removed the lower grill by taking off the skid plate (4) bolts; removed 10mm bolts holding the bottom of the lower grill; and the snaps holding the top of the lower grill. The clips hold the piece on and you can use a plastic trim removal tool to help get them to release. Disconnect the sensor connectors.

5. I glued the grill in place ensuring that the clip and license plate holder holes are not blocked.

6. I marked the placement of the clips before I installed the lower grill assembly so I would know where to apply pressure.

Everything works fine because it is plastic and not metal it does not interfere with the operation of the Adaptive Cruise Control.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
That's a killer mod! It really looks like a factory feature. And that honeycomb grill insert material is hella cheap. Thanks for posting instructions.

Lots of owners are disappointed their grill inserts are so flat and this adds the 3D effect the Putco can't deliver. When my Raptor KO grill comes in, I'm going to modify my XLT grill to fit in the lower cavity. Yes, with the blue oval attached. The procedure will be similar to yours, I imagine. I don't have ACC, so I'm not worried about the badge blocking anything. I'll have to watch my temp levels closely but I don't tow anything. Fingers crossed. Pics will follow when it's done.

Nice job!

Reactions: Doc

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Just ordered the putco. Pretty excited to cover up the massive gaping hole in the front.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Just installed the putco insert. Its just alright, wish there was better mounting for the bottom instead of the trim tape and the upper corners aren't super secure.
Should be about $20 instead of $70.

Minor gripes though, does what it was supposed to do. Defn covers the hole and looks factory. It was either this or a light bar for me.
Painted the putco name black BTW. Blends in better

20200915_121847.jpg

JDPerry3000

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ingot Silver Ranger XL
Just installed my Putco grille insert today. I don't have the adaptive cc so no need to remove the lower valance. The oly complaint I have is the sides seem to flex easily. This would be alot better if there were also some sort of mounting tabs on the sides as well. I do like the fact that is covers the huge gap left in the front bumper.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Well the dealer left the Fr licence plate bracket for me but not the screws. Anyone find a Lowes/HD equiv?

CashSeeAO

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Semi-retired engineer
Well, I didn't go with an aftermarket insert...I decided to be a tight wad and make my own. Not too bad for $5. I'm pleased with it.

IMG_20201003_155124.jpg
Nice!!! What kind of material did you use? Do you mind outline the basic steps for mod?

Rock76

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Nice!!! What kind of material did you use? Do you mind outline the basic steps for mod?
@CashSeeAO
All I used was rain gutter guarding. I took a piece of cardboard, put it behind the opening, traced the shape, then cut the metal guarding 3/4" bigger than my trace. I bent the sides and top on a 90° inward, for screws to be hidden, then the bottom is actually bent to "clip" onto the lower part of the opening, in a "c" shape I guess you'd say. I was flying by the seat of my pants when I did it, and my profanity library ran out fairly quickly. I'll try to draw it out and post it.

(what I used)

OIP (1).jpeg

CashSeeAO

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Semi-retired engineer
@CashSeeAO
All I used was rain gutter guarding. I took a piece of cardboard, put it behind the opening, traced the shape, then cut the metal guarding 3/4" bigger than my trace. I bent the sides and top on a 90° inward, for screws to be hidden, then the bottom is actually bent to "clip" onto the lower part of the opening, in a "c" shape I guess you'd say. I was flying by the seat of my pants when I did it, and my profanity library ran out fairly quickly. I'll try to draw it out and post it.

(what I used)

OIP (1).jpeg
That is super creative. I plan to try your method soon. Thanks.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
@CashSeeAO

(what I used)

OIP (1).jpeg
Excellent, I did this to my car & the wife's car.
I'll be doing it in a few months when it get's warmer.
I was able to use tie wraps on the cars but I don't think that will work on the Ranger.
I'll come back to check your next post.

Rock76

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, it's rain gutter screen, cheap, but effective. As far as a basic steps...it's been more than a day since I've done it...CRS...Lol

Seriously though, I took the lower valance off, traced the shape onto a piece of cardboard, cut it out, taped the cardboard to the gutter screen, and cut it about an inch bigger all the way around. I bent the inch excess on a 90°, towards the inside of the valance, and used small self tapping screws in the left and right side. That's the simplicity of it. When I did it originally, my intention was to take pics of the process...we see how well that worked out.

Here's my original post, a little more detail

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/lower-grille-insert.5948/post-180912

It's still holding up perfectly! This was taken last weekend.

IMG_20210906_111446__01__01.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: