Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil! Mark @txquailguy was telling about Gunnison NP and those pictures look great! We'll definitely stop there as we're staying over in Salida which isn't far from there. There's so much to do and see I'll be needing a vacation to recover form this vacation. ?
Pix of Black Canyon of the Gunnison...
Black Canyon of the Gunnison.jpg
Black Canyon of the Gunnison1.jpg
Black Canyon of the Gunnison2.jpg

Best,
Phil

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Thanks Andy! I think we're going to do Yellowstone next year because we just won't have enough time on this trip and I don't want to rush. I will save this because I heard there's so much to do in and around Yellowstone including the Grand Teton NP.
Ain’t that the truth, I made that mistake wishing for more time to enjoy it more. Little Big Horn National Monument is underrated, I absolutely loved it. Thought 30 minutes would be enough but 5 hours later put me behind schedule ?. Tequilas Mexican restaurant in Durango is pretty good, the owner is a solid guy, Emilio Naranja, good food too. In SD, Rapid City is a good walking town with President statues on many corners. Plus the other sites to visit.

ENJOY!!!

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Ain’t that the truth, I made that mistake wishing for more time to enjoy it more. Little Big Horn National Monument is underrated, I absolutely loved it. Thought 30 minutes would be enough but 5 hours later put me behind schedule ?. Tequilas Mexican restaurant in Durango is pretty good, the owner is a solid guy, Emilio Naranja, good food too. In SD, Rapid City is a good walking town with President statues on many corners. Plus the other sites to visit.

ENJOY!!!
Yeah I've done that before "hey let's stop here for a few minutes". Before you know it half the days gone and you haven't seen anything else. lol

I love Mexican food so I'll try this place out. We found one last time we were there (I cant remember the name) right on Main Ave and they had really great food there too. I might have to add another week or two with all these idea. ? I'm glad though at one point I thought it might be tough to find stuff to do in the places we're staying longer at. Thanks for all the tips!!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Or go to the top of Angels Landing

653684A6-8FEE-4AFB-91CB-89D1D404BB62.jpeg

C69B14E9-FFA0-4173-8F26-C5874166870C.jpeg
Hi Bob,

Yep! Another "blue Hair" and I were the only ones at Angle's Landing that day. Margie waited at Scouts landing for me to return....She did not have the strength to use the chains...

best,
Phil

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Hi Bob,

Yep! Another "blue Hair" and I were the only ones at Angle's Landing that day. Margie waited at Scouts landing for me to return....She did not have the strength to use the chains...

best,
Phil
Can't even describe the views from the top. I want to go do it again.

vtxrider

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Scab Hot Pepper Red.
Occupation
retired software engineer
Or go to the top of Angels Landing

653684A6-8FEE-4AFB-91CB-89D1D404BB62.jpeg

C69B14E9-FFA0-4173-8F26-C5874166870C.jpeg
To hike Angel's landing you need a permit. They are limiting the number of people to hike it. This started this year. They have had 13 deaths on this trail since 2000 so if you do it be careful. It is worth the hike though.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
An old timers stop may be the potato museum in Black Rock, ID. Whimsical and goofy but hey I was there and interesting… good history..

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Since you can plan a next year thing then just slow it down, too much windshield time really sucks, enjoy it and rush it…

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
To hike Angel's landing you need a permit. They are limiting the number of people to hike it. This started this year. They have had 13 deaths on this trail since 2000 so if you do it be careful. It is worth the hike though.
I would do it again. No questions asked!

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Dave, check the web sites of the places, and areas you will visit. Many will send out free brochures with a ton of good suggestions. Most have maps of the area also. Also, if possible buy any tickets that are needed early. I've found that popular sites sell out early. Sounds like a great trip.

Here's a pic just to get you in the mood.

214.JPG

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Dave, check the web sites of the places, and areas you will visit. Many will send out free brochures with a ton of good suggestions. Most have maps of the area also. Also, if possible buy any tickets that are needed early. I've found that popular sites sell out early. Sounds like a great trip.

Here's a pic just to get you in the mood.

214.JPG
Thanks Jim! I already have the tickets for the train ride from Durango - Silverton. As you said most parks now have reservation system and when I went to check Arches NP all the day we'll be there are already taken. But you can walk or bike in and they have additions slots that open up the day before but you have to be quick with the keyboard.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Pix of Black Canyon of the Gunnison...
Black Canyon of the Gunnison.jpg
Black Canyon of the Gunnison1.jpg
Black Canyon of the Gunnison2.jpg

Best,
Phil
I have backpacked into the Black Canyon a few times. We climb down SOB Gulch on the South Rim and camp along the river for a few days. Beautiful, wild place! Where the big rainbows go to die, great fishing as well. One year, we were camped near the base of the Painted Wall and some dude base jumped off the top and landed on the sandbar close to us. Crazy!

Great pictures, thanks Phil!

Last edited:

vtxrider

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Scab Hot Pepper Red.
Occupation
retired software engineer
I would do it again. No questions asked!
I would also do it again. I don't know if my wife would or not. Just wanted to make it known that there is permit required to hike it and can be a dangerous hike.
Sponsored