I Need Help Planning Our Next Trip

Flowgod

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Great info Seth Thx!! I'll look into all those places and see if I can make something work. I don't mind driving a bit but if you're having to do it every day it gets old quickly, especially at the end of the day when you're tired. Do you think that 4 days in Tetons be enough? I'll have almost 2 weeks to divide between Yellowstone and Tetons before heading over to SD.
It really depends on what you guys like to do. Like someone said, boating on Jackson Lake is a must or hiking around Jenny Lake is really pretty as well. If you guys are big hikers you could stay there for a week! I was up there for fishing and a family reunion so I was mainly on the water the whole time. I think 4 days would be a good amount though, especially if you guys are a bit more interested in going to Yellowstone as well. It is honestly just so peaceful sitting at Jackson lake and watching the water, mountains, and wildlife. If you wanted to stay at Jackson Lake there is a big campground called Coulter Bay Village that has spots right next to the lake

--
Jenny Lake
--
2134.JPEG
Sponsored

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Don't ya just love it when the animals win !!! Love watching stupid's try to walk up to a bison for a "close up".
As for visitors falling from the rim of the Canyon...I thought that had become a spectator sport there...visitors travel to the bottom and take bets as to how many will fall, and where !!!

Some people should NOT be allowed out in public to breed !!!
lol yes it is and do they really think a wild animal isn't going to charge them? :facepalm: Some will do just about anything for clicks on their Youtube channel.

Had to fix the last line for ya. :wink:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Great info Steve Thx. I was hoping you'd see this as I know you've been around this great country many times RVing and would have some great info too. As much as we want to do Yellowstone I think we'll put it off for another year or two. Sounds like it's way to crowded now and it might even be worse next year with the flooding last month closing areas down.

New plan. Leave AZ and head up to Grand Teton for 3-4 days. The hit Glacier for 5 and make our way east to South Dakota making a few stops along the way. Not sure where or if there's much of anything worth seeing but I'll start looking into that. We didn't do Devils Tower this trip so we could stop there for a day or two. Bob @Bob902 I can't remember but how long were you just there and what would you recommend as far as how many days to stay in the area?

Thanks everyone as all these have been very helpful and if anyone has suggestions ( attractions, hiking trails restaurants, etc) as what to do in these areas keep them coming.
Devils Tower is a must see...but only problem is there are no accommodations near the park...only a KOA that is 100 yards from the park entrance (where we stayed). Off I=90 its about 25 or so miles of very scenic road, but only hotels are on I-90,

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It really depends on what you guys like to do. Like someone said, boating on Jackson Lake is a must or hiking around Jenny Lake is really pretty as well. If you guys are big hikers you could stay there for a week! I was up there for fishing and a family reunion so I was mainly on the water the whole time. I think 4 days would be a good amount though, especially if you guys are a bit more interested in going to Yellowstone as well. It is honestly just so peaceful sitting at Jackson lake and watching the water, mountains, and wildlife. If you wanted to stay at Jackson Lake there is a big campground called Coulter Bay Village that has spots right next to the lake

--
Jenny Lake
--
2134.JPEG
That sound really peaceful there. I love to hike and would do it every day. Annie is warming up to it more and more now even after her fall she still went on several but I don't want to rush it being the first stop on vacation. lol

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
We stayed in Hulett, WY which was about 10 miles from Devil's Tower. It is definitely a one horse town. The only hotel there was a Best Western and it was a nice, clean hotel. You can go out to the tower at night and stargaze. Then hike it the next day. Like every place, the parking lot is small. We ended up having to park down by Prairie Dog Town and hike up. We did all three trails and with the hike up, was right at nine miles. I would think a day is plenty there.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
We stayed in Hulett, WY which was about 10 miles from Devil's Tower. It is definitely a one horse town. The only hotel there was a Best Western and it was a nice, clean hotel. You can go out to the tower at night and stargaze. Then hike it the next day. Like every place, the parking lot is small. We ended up having to park down by Prairie Dog Town and hike up. We did all three trails and with the hike up, was right at nine miles. I would think a day is plenty there.
Thanks Bob. It did look like it was in a pretty remote area but hard to tell sometimes looking at a map. We might try to make this a stop on our way into SD or just plan a day trip (stay overnight) while already there. I don't think I can convince Annie to do all 9 miles though. She was about to kill me when we did the hike to the arch at Cedar Breaks and that was only 5 miles. lol

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Thanks Bob. It did look like it was in a pretty remote area but hard to tell sometimes looking at a map. We might try to make this a stop on our way into SD or just plan a day trip (stay overnight) while already there. I don't think I can convince Annie to do all 9 miles though. She was about to kill me when we did the hike to the arch at Cedar Breaks and that was only 5 miles. lol
Great. Glad I am on her list, too?

They have three trails. The one trail just goes around the base and is about a mile. It is paved to make it handicap accessible. The other two also circle the tower, but just farther out. There are times you are far enough down and with the trees that you can't even see the tower.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Bob, I forgot about that little town, Hulett. When we were camping, we drove into Hulett...more like a half/horse town...but there is a little hole in the wall deli/sandwich shop there where we had lunch...outstanding sub's The R Deli.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Bob, I forgot about that little town, Hulett. When we were camping, we drove into Hulett...more like a half/horse town...but there is a little hole in the wall deli/sandwich shop there where we had lunch...outstanding sub's The R Deli.
Half horse is probably more accurate. We ate a 77 steakhouse. It was up on the hill attached to the golf course. Looked like a hunting lodge. It was excellent. Great views, too.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I spent the past couple days mapping out a route and making reservations. This was a lot harder (and expensive) than this past trip because these areas are most sought after for vacations. I cut out Yellowstone after listening to what you guys said about the crowds and traffic. For us that's not a fun vacation and we can always make a trip up there in another year or two, hopefully things might be better by then but who knows.

So the new plan is this:

Leaving AZ on 6/2/23-7/3/23

Grand Teton NP 6/3/23-6/8/23

Glacier NP 6/8.23-6/15/23

Hill City, SD 6/16/23-6/30/23

There's a few one day stops along the way that we'll most likely get sidetracked and see other things like we did on this trip. We wanted the second part of the trip (South Dakota) to be relaxing because this last one we were on the go 28 out of 30 days. Plus there were still several things we didn't get to/do like see Jewel & Wind Cave, Devils Tower, tour Crazy Horse and see Mt Rushmore at night. We rented a cabin in Hill City, SD at The Spring Creek Inn (cabin #18) with 2 bed rooms a full kitchen and a nice big deck off the back. The owner Thad was great to deal with and he held it for me since Friday so I could figure the rest of our plans.

Now that I know where we're going I could use some suggestions of things to do in those areas. Whether it be good restaurants, hiking trails or something cool to do/see off the beaten path.

Thanks for all the suggestions as they really helped!!

Glacier Trip Map..jpg

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Do Beartooth highway!!

Again you really suck!!! Now I need to get serious about planning. Today I just threw out old tour guide magazines for up there!!

That got me thinking and now this!!! Did I say you really suck!!! If not consider it done…

Thanks Dave!!! I think..

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Do Beartooth highway!!

Again you really suck!!! Now I need to get serious about planning. Today I just threw out old tour guide magazines for up there!!

That got me thinking and now this!!! Did I say you really suck!!! If not consider it done…

Thanks Dave!!! I think..
Thanks Andy....I think. ?

You could make some plans for the same dates and we could all meet up next June? Dinner and drinks are on me, it's the least I can do for making you spend more money. ?

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I realize Little Big Horn is not everyone’s cup of tea but I originally thought it would be a whistle stop. We ended up spending half a day there.. being in the military and just seeing the country side where this battle was fought gave me a deep appreciation of this area.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Thanks Andy....I think. ?

You could make some plans for the same dates and we could all meet up next June? Dinner and drinks are on me, it's the least I can do for making you spend more money. ?
That’s quite a possibility. I know the Mrs would love it. Just another thing that makes you go hhhmmm…

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That’s quite a possibility. I know the Mrs would love it. Just another thing that makes you go hhhmmm…
It would be a fun trip, now get out of your rocker and start planning it! ?

Do It.gif
Sponsored