OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
So all the big "diesel only" in bed fuel tanks for sale... can they really not handle the chemicals of gasoline, or is it more of a federal government nanny state thing because "diesel is not as combustible"?

Also from my understanding, and my numbers may be slightly off, I can transport up to 139 gallons of gas without permits or placards?

What is stopping me from buying a 50 gallon (300lb) in bed fuel cell and using gasoline in it?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Custom Built

Custom Built

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FX4 Max
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I saw one a while ago, don't remember where, but it was pricey, like $1800 IIRC.
They aren’t cheap in Australia either. $2000aud including fitting + additional fuel. But the new car is about to get 450km on its first tank, that just won’t work here ?

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
If you use metric system, then you are using metric system.
If you use us customary system, then you are using metric system (albeit with a conversion factor and non-SI multiplies)
You are just rough estimating the conversion factor and multiplies within the metric system.

But this is irrelevant as we're talking about poles and fences.

P.S. Fort Knight cannot possibly hold for two weeks.
As the saying goes, "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad." I have said all along that these were rough estimates, and have not pretended otherwise. You've been insisting on adding a tomato into a fruit salad.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
As the saying goes, "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad." I have said all along that these were rough estimates, and have not pretended otherwise. You've been insisting on adding a tomato into a fruit salad.
salsa is a fruit salad with tomatoes and it goes great on tacos?

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I'm sorry to hear that and that stinks.

I came across a video for gas cans by Project Farm last night:

love me some project farm. he is great at being flat honest instead of just a sales associate for amazon.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
I merely pointed out that US is in metric standard instead of imperial as you said.

it's also always struck me as a bit odd that the country that prides itself on having given the middle finger to the British Empire resolutely sticks to using the British Imperial measurement standards.
Standard and practice may differ.

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
I carry my can in the back seat so it won't get wet and contaminate the gas. :like:
1673432446538.png

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I merely pointed out that US is in metric standard instead of imperial as you said.

Standard and practice may differ.
Have you even ever been to the US? I rather suspect not, or if you have, you've only spoken with a narrow percentage of the population that uses metric standard in a professional capacity, and not with the general public, who use the imperial system on a day-to-day basis.

In any case, I'm done repeating myself ad nauseum re: the general populace, when you insist on trying to extrapolate from a statistically insignificant minority to represent the whole.

Here, I've found listings for vegetable farms for you in the US, so that you can grow as many tomatoes as you like while maybe learning a thing or two about the general American public: https://www.landandfarm.com/search/Vegetable-Farm-for-sale/

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
love me some project farm. he is great at being flat honest instead of just a sales associate for amazon.
And he's a lot of fun. I love how he uses that ancient RV whenever he can, like the gas cans toppling off the top.

I also saw that he has an older Ranger and did some Seafoam tests on it!

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
So all the big "diesel only" in bed fuel tanks for sale... can they really not handle the chemicals of gasoline, or is it more of a federal government nanny state thing because "diesel is not as combustible"?

Also from my understanding, and my numbers may be slightly off, I can transport up to 139 gallons of gas without permits or placards?

What is stopping me from buying a 50 gallon (300lb) in bed fuel cell and using gasoline in it?
dont trust my words on this but many of the diesel tanks are not stout enough to be gas tanks. im sure some are. but if you take a 5 gallon jerry can of gas about half full and leave it in the sun or shake it around it will build pressure. do the same with diesel in the can it will also build pressure but much less than the gasoline. of course govt nannys are highly involved. the plastic cans are strong enough for either gas or diesel they just change the color to prevent mishaps or sell to folks that want different colors. ive considered something like this if i ever got to take really long trips.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/johndow-industries-15-gallon-fuel-station-jdi-fst15

you can do a 55 gallon drum of gas without too much issue but some states require labels and markings on the can. some places my also restrict where you drive with it and where / how you fill it. when i worked at a custom shop we would keep a drum of gas in on of the shop trucks. had to have the texas approved markings on the drum and a few gas stations would give us a hard time. saying the can had to be on the ground etc. to fill. clearly the gas station cashier had never tried to lift a 55 gallon drum... no flipping way we could have got it back in the truck bed after it was full lol.

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
And he's a lot of fun. I love how he uses that ancient RV whenever he can, like the gas cans toppling off the top.

I also saw that he has an older Ranger and did some Seafoam tests on it!

yep he inspired me to sea foam my 4g. worked like a charm. neighbors didnt like it much. fogged up the lil picnic they were having lol.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
dont trust my words on this but many of the diesel tanks are not stout enough to be gas tanks. im sure some are. but if you take a 5 gallon jerry can of gas about half full and leave it in the sun or shake it around it will build pressure. do the same with diesel in the can it will also build pressure but much less than the gasoline. pretty much all the plastic cans are strong enough for any fuel they just change the color to prevent mishaps. ive considered something like this if i ever got to take really long trips.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/johndow-industries-15-gallon-fuel-station-jdi-fst15
Wouldn't a proper fuel cell have ventilation?

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
dont trust my words on this but many of the diesel tanks are not stout enough to be gas tanks. im sure some are. but if you take a 5 gallon jerry can of gas about half full and leave it in the sun or shake it around it will build pressure. do the same with diesel in the can it will also build pressure but much less than the gasoline. pretty much all the plastic cans are strong enough for any fuel they just change the color to prevent mishaps. ive considered something like this if i ever got to take really long trips.

that can't be hard to plumb into the system with pump

Dr_Strangelove

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design